Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 24

Reports of Big XII death greatly exaggerated

I may not be the only one that wrestled with near-panic at times in recent years watching as the Big XII saw an exodus of schools and depressed as Big Ten fans down-mouth Iowa State and our conference.

Now with as much TV exposure and money as we have ever had, playing in front of sell-out crowds and looking to expand JTS, we may not have the last laugh yet but we are feeling good even in a loss to perennial power #14 Oklahoma.

Though mostly low-key, detractors of the Big XII were often my Hawkeye friends and relatives.

The Big XII has four teams in the AP Top 25 and as many as 6 in the BCS top 25 standings. The Big Ten has one, Ohio, and it is banned from post-season play. We played one of toughest D-1 schedule and have a chance to go bowling. Iowa just lost to doormat Indiana and looks to have a few more loses coming to ponder.

Take a breath with me, and as Jake Knott would do, count our blessings as things look bright. The season is giving way to winter with MBB, WBB and Volleyball each showing promise. And, the final chapters have yet to be written on Cyclone football this season.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 260

Re: Reports of Big XII death greatly exaggerated

Indirectly, the modified Big 12 is good for ISU with the new $$$, stability, and increased exposure.

Probably the most impressive thing about the past two years is the amount of "internal" momentum we have gained, without having an abnormal run of success in MBB and FB. Wait till CPR and/or Hoiberg have some peak years.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 11-04-2012 at 10:59 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 965
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

and to think lots of people here on Fanatic were ragging on Jamie for not getting the Clones into the Big East. Just maybe Jamie is owed some apologies.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 50

I too am looking with confidence to the Big 12's future, but we still lost two giant national schools - Texas A&M and Nebraska - and WV and TCU are not comparable replacements. Have to chuckle at all those on here who predicted A&M would get run over in the SEC...well look at them now. All it takes for a school like that is a good coach.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 2

Losing A&M and NU hurt, but I think eventually TCU and WV will be on par with those two if not better once they get more experience in a tough conference. TCU is fairing well so far and WV is a defense away from better record as we are an offense away from a better record. As for Missouri they are a wash IMO. This conference is stronger and more profitable now than it was when all this went down a few years ago. I have praised Pollard a lot for keeping us and helping this conference stay together.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    and to think lots of people here on Fanatic were ragging on Jamie for not getting the Clones into the Big East. Just maybe Jamie is owed some apologies.
    Pollard is one of the best things to happen to ISU athletics in a long time if not ever. Thamks Jamie

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 15

I wouldn't want to be in any other conference either. The Big10 can keep their ego and terrible team club as private as they want. We don't want in.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 63

I was worried about not being in the "North" anymore and now playing 9 FB and 18 BB conference games. After seeing this last year thru, I really like it, I'm surprised how much I enjoy the new format.

I think 12 team conferences work, and Nebraska to the B1G probably makes sense.
    TA&M will be fine in the SEC, not a top 5 national team, but I think they can be a solid addition to that conference.
    I think Mizzou will sink in all sports in the SEC. Maybe not so much with basketball, but at best they will be third in normal years. They are still loaded this year but in 5 years they will be brought back down to earth.

I think the SEC will really regret 14 teams in the coming years...

edit: I think the B12 will struggle with not having a football championship game when PAC, ACC, B1G, and SEC all do. It sounds like Mack and Bob don't want it, but I don't know how long we can go without one.

Last edited by JP4CY; 11-04-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

If the Big XII had gone down I would have wanted ISU in the Big 10. That being said, I'm glad the Big XII is still here and doing well. I think Bowlsby will also continue to make the Big XII stronger and stronger along with the schools.

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    I think the SEC will really regret 14 teams in the coming years...

edit: I think the B12 will struggle with not having a football championship game when PAC, ACC, B1G, and SEC all do. It sounds like Mack and Bob don't want it, but I don't know how long we can go without one
    Agree with this. The SEC was doing just fine, expanding to 14 just dilutes the $$.

idk about regretting a championship game. When the BCS goes to the top 4 team playoff, I think the Big 12 feels pretty good about not having that potential extra game to screw up our conference champion, plus the occasional opportunity to get two Big 12 teams in the top 4 in some years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

I don't think the original reports were exaggerated at all. If Colorado hadn't gotten the jump on joining the Pac 10, the Texas and Oklahoma schools may very well have all gone together. That certainly would have spelled the end of the conference.

Last year's reports, on the other hand, were greatly exaggerated. A&M and Mizzou were just full of sour grapes, but the only noise coming out of Texas and Oklahoma were from the national media, which almost sounded like they were cheering for the Big 12's demise. While that summer sucked as well, it wasn't nearly as dreadful as the first summer.

That Grant of Rights agreement was the best thing that ever happened to the stability of the Big 12. The conference is extremely stable now and isn't going anywhere for at least a decade.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    I will be the first to admit I was one of these people, and I will say it. Im SORRY. I only say this after we brought TX to their knees w/ equal revenue. NOW we have an AWESOME conference. again IM SORRY. Good riddance to A&M and Nebby, your stupid, suck pond water.

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I too am looking with confidence to the Big 12's future, but we still lost two giant national schools - Texas A&M and Nebraska - and WV and TCU are not comparable replacements. Have to chuckle at all those on here who predicted A&M would get run over in the SEC...well look at them now. All it takes for a school like that is a good coach.
    Disagree with this. WV and TCU have both been better programs in the last ten years than either A&M or Neb. WV and TCU have both been to multiple BCS bowl games and won those games, while A&M and Neb. were average in the Big XII during the same stretch. A&M is having a good year in the SEC; we'll see if they can maintain that success. Neb. is still average in the Big 10. One other thing: WV has a very good hoops program; much better than either A&M or Neb.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 143

I don't think TCU gets enough credit, they are hanging in there every week against big 12 teams despite being hit hard by injuries. I think WV just isn't that good, early in the year when Baylor gave them a good game, most people gave Baylor credit for hanging in there with a top 10 team on the road. That game said much more about WV than Baylor IMO. I'm glad to have both teams, and love the conference at 10 teams. The round robin scheduling is great, there are big time match ups in conference play every week.

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    I'm glad to have both teams, and love the conference at 10 teams. The round robin scheduling is great, there are big time match ups in conference play every week.
    Agreed, nice to have someone who wants to be in the BigXII. I think they are GREAT additions.

Yes I agree, BIG BIG time match up every week.

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....