Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 98

Twister Sister Summary - first exhibition not pretty but functional

EThe season has started and it was exciting to see the new edition of the Twister Sisters take the court.

Starters - Hal, Pop, Moody, Prins, Williamson

Over 5000 in attendance
    First shot adrenaline. Hal missed badly and Prins follow up and missed everything.
    ISU missed its first five shots before Prins followed with a rebound layin. Of course those misses and the make were in two possessions. Our size gave us rebound after rebound.
    First 3 came from Williamson 1:30 in. Pop looked aggressive as always. She looks and plays like the senior she is. Our defense looked spotty early as did our passing. A little slow. This would pick up as the team settled down.

Interesting thought. Pop goes to the line and for the first time in her career I never even thought twice about her shooting. She didn't let me down as she nailed both while going on to hit 5 of 9.

3 point shooting is where we started this thing. In spite of our size advantage we keep pumping up 3's. Only started off 2-7 as w struggled to find the range. The sisters easily got out to a 12-4 lead mainly because of the rebounding dominance.
    Emiah, Kidd, and Ellis enter the game a little over 4 minutes in. Coach said he was going to heavily map the game with specific lineups switching in and out every 4-5 minutes.
    Prins was not really close on any of her 3's early and throughout the game. She missed way to many shots and this is critical for improvement.

At one point Ellis at 5' 11" is our post. Wow. This girl is tough though. Really enjoy watching her play. The young ones are turning the ball over as they try to force passes. They would settle down over the course of the game as they get first game jitters out of the way.
    Another steal by Ellis would lead to a fast break assist to Hal for a lay in. The score stretches to 15-7.
    Nothing exciting to talk about so far. Looked like a typical exhibition where lots of young ones are playing and feeling their way along.

Zimmerman is obviously healthy as she enters the game with another big lineup change.

Three point shooting got off to a horrid start at 2-12 and really wouldn't improve in the first half. Emiah made a very nice drive down the lane for her first ISU basket. Nicely done! Pop also appears to have extended her shooting range. Hit a very nice turn and pump shot from the line.
    21-9 with 7:38 to go. No one is in game shape yet. Looking a bit gassed. Another great reason for the ongoing line changes!
    Another line change and Coach Fennelly is playing everyone! Arganbright and Hagedorn got in.
    An interesting observation...the guards are really missing some wide open players so far. Seems the court sense just isn't there yet. The sisters went on one of their patented 5 minute scoring droughts. Finally broken on a Williamson rebound put back. Kidd hit her first three pointer in the final minute to stretch the lead to 27-11. Pop followed that with a 3! It's obvious that the staff started working with Pop last year to add the three to her arsenal. She isn't shy about shooting it now.

Halftime 30-11. Not impressive, but we are seeing players being moved around like chess pieces. Shooting isn't pretty hitting 4-20 from 3 at the half. 10-40 overall
    Pop leading the way as expected with 11 at the half.

Second half started with a little more focus on the inside game. Prins got involved early and ISU stretched its lead. Lineup changes continue to be made with Emiah and Kidd getting extensive playing time. I was surprised to see Hagedorn getting extensive minutes. She did well.

With the young crew in things started to get sloppy for a while. Missed shots, getting out rebounded, and turning the ball over. Suspected the next line change would take care of that and it did. The team heated up, energy level went up and the team pulled away. Shooting percentage from inside and outside the arc skyrocketed in the second half.

Things you expected to see.
    1. Big discrepancy in free throw attempts. NWMSU shot their first with 8 minutes left in the game. ISU still didn't hit at the level they need to going 11-20 or 55%. Sorry...but that's not acceptable. NWMSU hit 6-7.
    2. Rebound margin. Iowa State dominated as expected over the smaller Bearcats 50-23.
    3. Three point shooting. Well, we put up a bunch and at times it wasn't very pretty, but they heated up in the second half hitting 5-9 and 9 of 29 overall.

Final score 80-33

Players of note:
    Kidd - seems to exude a toughness. Couldn't tell much by her shooting in this one. Hit a few nice ones that show her potential and showed some quickness on D.
    Emiah - reminds me a bit of Moody last year. You can see the pure talent, but a little out of control right now. She's smooth.
    Ellis - moving well. Uses her body. Rebounds hard. Needs to settle into her shot more. If only she were 6 inches taller...sigh
    Pop - did her usual in limited minutes. 22 points, 11 boards in 20 minutes. Big stat? Only 1 foul.
    Prins - missed lots of short shots and missed lots of 3's. needs to keep working at it!
    Moody - looked more mature at first glance. Perhaps it we just sensing more confidence. Didn't shoot well, but had a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio.

There really isn't much you can take from this game except there is much work to be done. The talent levels are so different between these two teams and the lineups are changing keeping flow from occurring. What it did do was give the coaches information about what to work on prior to the next exhibition. It's one thing to talk about what you see in practice, it's another to talk about game film. Coach stated they need to do the obvious and finish the shots they should be making.

That's it folks. Nothing exciting, but much to work with.

Last edited by acoustimac; 11-01-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - first exhibition not pretty but functional

Cous,

Thanks for the great write up !!!!!!!!!! Very much appreciated.

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 83

Thanks for the write-up.

Go Cyclones!!

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Thanks for the summary Co us. The 20 assists and 8 steals caught my eye. Looking forward to to seeing these guards play together for a few years.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 4

Pretty typical first exhibition game. Sloppy, and players seemingly not really comfortable playing together yet.

Pop was Pop. Anna could not hit her outside shot, but I thought she did a good job on the boards. Nikki was off a bit, but still dished out 7 assists. I really would like to have seen Brynn and Hallie score more, but that will come hopefully.

I thought both Em and Kidd did pretty well for their first game. Love the speed that both add. I thought both played good defense, although Kidd picked up a couple of silly fouls, but she will learn. I thought they both did a good of rebounding, and Em looks like she will be a good defender. Would like to have seen Em try a few shots from 3 point range, but that will come. Her shooting was off a bit. You can just tell Kidd is a decent shooter. Looking forward to watching those two the next few years.

Looking forward to Tuesday's game already. Would imagine we might get a little better idea of how the rotation will work in that one.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

I was pretty upbeat after that game. One thing, I am disappointed that Prins doesn't vary her inside moves. She needs to do something besides the straight forward set shot inside. She should realize and coach that she can't depend on that in the big 12. Jump hooks, hooks, she needs to freeze the defender with a fake, all those would help her offensive production even if she isn't a great jumper. We need her this year, and the more offense she provides, the better. Our outside game will be much more effective if we have a reliable inside game.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 934
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

I was highly disappointed with Prins as well. I have just been waiting to see her explode and play the way she should. It has just never happened. Injuries aside... When we play a team like NW MO St. A 6'7'' highly recruited top 25 big 12 team starting center should absolutely dominate.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Great points all. The assists and steals were pretty nice, but just as indicative of the team we were playing as our stealth. Good heads up play leads to good things in this area. Felt like Moody was more comfortable in her role and think that is another reason why we will see Emiah and Kidd getting so much time early at the 1 and 2. I'm excited about both of them!

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

She has to find her shot. Its early. Lots of people were missing last night. Once she gets in a groove...

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    She has to find her shot. Its early. Lots of people were missing last night. Once she gets in a groove...
    We have been saying that for the past 3 years though. Nothing has chnaged with her. I still have high hopes but she just keeps letting me down.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 50

"The sisters went on one of their patented 5 minute scoring droughts"

This absolutely can't continue or we'll get crushed in the Big 12 games.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Watched on CycloneTV - didn't get a good view of the bench. Was any one other than BF active - coaching/teaching? From what I could see, Coach was engaged but mellow. He also looks good, Kosama must be effective.

Last edited by BenEClone; 11-02-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    Watched on CycloneTV - didn't get a good view of the bench. Was any one other than BFactive - coaching/teaching? From what I could see, Coach was engaged but mellow. He also looks good, Kosama must be effective.
    It looked about the same as last year. Jodi is ALWAYS coaching the guards. Billy and Latoja just kind of sat there like Latoja and Jack did last year. Bill got fired up at times. He let Fallon have an earfull last night during once sequence.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Speaking of the guards, how was the overall ball-handling, including the number of turnovers, always a weakness in the past? I had a prior engagement, so did not see the game.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYGREG View Post
    We have been saying that for the past 3 years though. Nothing has chnaged with her. I still have high hopes but she just keeps letting me down.

I just don't think Prins will get to that next level.....she will be servicable and that will be the ceiling.

I hope I am wrong.

Carrying the banner for ISU.