Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 105

Slingbox Question?

Does anyone here use slingbox at all? I've got Directv at work, but I've cut the cord at my home. I don't know much about it, but do you think it would work getting my satelite TV at work on my laptop at home, which I would then hook up to my TV? Any advice would be appreciated.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 208

Re: Slingbox Question?

I have it and it works pretty well! You can use it exactly like the way you stated. However, just take into consideration that if your work's Internet or your home Internet goes down, you won't get any tv. Otherwise it works pretty well if you have decent Internet connections at work and home. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    I have it and it works pretty well! You can use it exactly like the way you stated. However, just take into consideration that if your work's Internet or your home Internet goes down, you won't get any tv. Otherwise it works pretty well if you have decent Internet connections at work and home. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.
    How does it work with the work TV when I'm watching it through the slingbox at home? Can both the work TV and my laptop watch at the same time?

Also, how would you rate the quality of the picture? I see through reviews that many people talk about the HDMI problems due to encryption (something I don't understand), so they have to use the component hookups. Have you had a problem with HDMI through your cable provider and how good of picture do the component hookups give you? Will I have a hard time using an HDMI cable through the slingbox with directv?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Triggermv; 11-01-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I am watching Slingbox right now at work. I stream my home Dishnet. The quality goes up and down during the day based on the internet connections. Slingbox controls my home tv, so you have to watch the same program at both places. It also works when I travel becasue it is on my laptop.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by NebrClone View Post
    I am watching Slingbox right now at work. I stream my home Dishnet. The quality goes up and down during the day based on the internet connections. Slingbox controls my home tv, so you have to watch the same program at both places. It also works when I travel becasue it is on my laptop.
    Do you use an HDMI or component input. While I'm sure the quality changes, is it pretty good HD quality overall?

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Triggermv View Post
    Do you use an HDMI or component input. While I'm sure the quality changes, is it pretty good HD quality overall?
    Composite will be in 480p, I'm guessing your TV with an HDMI is in 1080p. How noticeable the change in will depend on the size of your TV. If you have a 20-27" TV, you will barely be able to notice at a normal viewing distance. Anything, bigger than that, especially larger than 36" and it will become increasingly noticeable.

Last edited by RayShimley; 11-01-2012 at 01:00 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Composite will be in 480p, I'm guessing your TV with an HDMI is in 1080p. How noticeable the change in will depend on the size of your TV. If you have a 20-27" TV, you will barely be able to notice at a normal viewing distance. Anything, bigger than that, especially larger than 36" and it will become increasingly noticeable.
    I actually said component, not composite. I know from past experience how bad compsite can be, but am not familiar with a component vs HDMI comparison.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

I actually said component, not composite. I know from past experience how bad compsite can be, but am not familiar with a component vs HDMI comparison.
    Edit: now I've just confused myself!

Last edited by RayShimley; 11-01-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It comes in on my laptop and I use a DVI cable to a 22" Monitor. Quality is usually good on shows, but goes down on action shows, such as sports.

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 326

I've had multiple slingboxes over the last 5 years or so.

They have some brand new ones that just hit the shelves, which is what I'd recommend buying(slingbox 350). My last Slingbox was a Solo model and it crapped out because of some transistor, which apparently is pretty common.

I would stick with Component. I've heard that the new boxes have trouble with the HDMI handshake. As far as quality, the picture is fine but don't expect HD quality. I even used Slingbox tailgating for a few years (Laptop to monitor) but apparently everyone else is also using the Wi-Fi now so speeds are not high enough to get a good picture. I've also used slingbox while in Europe a few times. I also have an Ipad and Android app so I can watch it multiple places. Some of the older Slingboxes don't work with these apps.

I always hook the Slingbox to a Directv receiver that I don't use much so that if my wife is home on the main TV I can watch something different. If you have a DTV DVR you can also watch recordings on the Slingbox.

Last edited by dmclone; 11-01-2012 at 03:41 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I've had multiple slingboxes over the last 5 years or so.

They have some brand new ones that just hit the shelves, which is what I'd recommend buying(slingbox 350). My last Slingbox was a Solo model and it crapped out because of some transistor, which apparently is pretty common.

I would stick with Component. I've heard that the new boxes have trouble with the HDMI handshake. As far as quality, the picture is fine but don't expect HD quality. I even used Slingbox tailgating for a few years (Laptop to monitor) but apparently everyone else is also using the Wi-Fi now so speeds are not high enough to get a good picture. I've also used slingbox while in Europe a few times. I also have an Ipad and Android app so I can watch it multiple places. Some of the older Slingboxes don't work with these apps.

I always hook the Slingbox to a Directv receiver that I don't use much so that if my wife is home on the main TV I can watch something different. If you have a DTV DVR you can also watch recordings on the Slingbox.
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. While stuff like this advertises 1080p picture, when you mix in all the different factors, you can always get a wide range of results. At least if I buy one, which I'm going to buy the new 500 one if I do, I won't have the expectation of clear HD. Even if it could be as good as the ESPN3 HD online that I get, I'd be super satisfied as they've made large improvements there over the years.

As for my setup, I've probably got the perfect setup for a slingbox to be ideal. I work out of a family member's house for a family business and I have no cable at home. They've got Directv there with multiple receivers, including one in the office. The one in the office is mostly used to run CNBC all day, but rarely gets used outside of office hours. Therefore, me using the slingbox at my house would not cross with anybody's viewing from that receiver in the office because they'll be using the other TVs in the house.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Just make sure you're actual going to use the features on the 500 because there will be no difference in picture quality.

Built in wifi-I'd recommend a physical connection if possible
    Video Out / TV Interface-I've heard the online setup is better
    Remote Control Unit-Don't know why I'd need this
    Remote Viewing of Local Digital-I have other devices that do this. This would be one good option if it works right though.
    Personal Media Viewing on TV-See above
    SlingSync & SlingProjector-No need

Not worth an extra $120 to me. What concerns me about spending $300 is that Slingbox's customer service is worthless. If you have problems you just throw away the unit and buy new one.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Just make sure you're actual going to use the features on the 500 because there will be no difference in picture quality.

Built in wifi-I'd recommend a physical connection if possible
    Video Out / TV Interface-I've heard the online setup is better
    Remote Control Unit-Don't know why I'd need this
    Remote Viewing of Local Digital-I have other devices that do this. This would be one good option if it works right though.
    Personal Media Viewing on TV-See above
    SlingSync & SlingProjector-No need

Not worth an extra $120 to me. What concerns me about spending $300 is that Slingbox's customer service is worthless. If you have problems you just throw away the unit and buy new one.
    You've brought up some great points for sure. Not sure what I'm going to do now. Overall, I just wish I knew whether or not the HDMI with the more expensive one would work with Directv. The wireless would be pretty nice too with the more expensive one, however, that customer service point is a great point.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You've brought up some great points for sure. Not sure what I'm going to do now. Overall, I just wish I knew whether or not the HDMI with the more expensive one would work with Directv. The wireless would be pretty nice too with the more expensive one, however, that customer service point is a great point.

From the reviews I've seen it sounds like some channels will work with HDMI on Directv but some premiums won't. According to cnet

"Sling recommends still connecting the component video input as well -- a "belt and suspenders" approach, a company rep told me"

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

From the reviews I've seen it sounds like some channels will work with HDMI on Directv but some premiums won't. According to cnet

"Sling recommends still connecting the component video input as well -- a "belt and suspenders" approach, a company rep told me"
    I read that article too as I really like that website for professional reviews. Saw the same thing. I hope that is the case. What they did say was a little vague though. I think I might just buy it, test it out, and take it back if I don't like it. Wish there was someone on here that has a 500 (which I know isn't likely as it is pretty new), uses it with Directv, and could tell me exactly how well it works. Oh well.