Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

Steele

I havenít posted as much this year, but I thought Iíd throw a little QB stats out there. In the Baylor game yesterday, Steele increased his QB rating from 123.9 to 133.5 which is huge in one game. Props to Steele for taking advantage of his second chance.

Iíve kind of been a JB guy all year, because IMO running the ball 55%+ of the time gave us the best chance to win. I think Iím wrong now. I thought our line wouldnít see too much dropoff since KO was injured for a lot of last year and I typically underestimate the value of interior lineman like Hicks. We just arenít able to run the ball as efficiently as we were last year, and with both White and Woody not at 100% I think taking advantage of Steeleís better accuracy gives us the best chance for the rest of the season.

Moreover, while Iím sure Baylorís lack of a pass rush made him more comfortable, we didnít see any ďbad SteeleĒ moments on Saturday. While he threw the pick it was a great decision Ė a little more loft and thatís a TD. Thatís just a physical error and that happens. Mentally, very, very clean game yesterday and I hope that gives him confidence considering our remaining schedule. OUís defense is daunting, but there is the chance to make some serious hay against KU, UT, and WVU. All remaining games are winnable but those three I think we can expect the offense to produce.

Very happy for Steele, the whole team, and the staff.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

Re: Steele

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post

Moreover, while I’m sure Baylor’s lack of a pass rush made him more comfortable, we didn’t see any “bad Steele” moments on Saturday. While he threw the pick it was a great decision – a little more loft and that’s a TD. That’s just a physical error and that happens. Mentally, very, very clean game yesterday and I hope that gives him confidence considering our remaining schedule. OU’s defense is daunting, but there is the chance to make some serious hay against KU, UT, and WVU. All remaining games are winnable but those three I think we can expect the offense to produce.

That is what Red Bull does for you.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Good stuff. It was his 3rd highest passer rating game behind only Western Illinois and Iowa last year. It was his 3rd high completion % game behind only Western Ill and Tulsa this year. I think it was very easily his most accurate game though. A normal game from Horne and Jantz completes 80% of his passes.

We are going to have to protect him better and get creative on offense against Oklahoma. They will blitz every single play. And they should!

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I agree.... But my i think the concern with turnovers still looms. The defense saves him there. But we can't lose that battle against OU.I'm with Steele 100% today, and happy that we have another option or two if we need to go there.

Prospect
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I havenít posted as much this year, but I thought Iíd throw a little QB stats out there. In the Baylor game yesterday, Steele increased his QB rating from 123.9 to 133.5 which is huge in one game. Props to Steele for taking advantage of his second chance.

Iíve kind of been a JB guy all year, because IMO running the ball 55%+ of the time gave us the best chance to win. I think Iím wrong now. I thought our line wouldnít see too much dropoff since KO was injured for a lot of last year and I typically underestimate the value of interior lineman like Hicks. We just arenít able to run the ball as efficiently as we were last year, and with both White and Woody not at 100% I think taking advantage of Steeleís better accuracy gives us the best chance for the rest of the season.

Moreover, while Iím sure Baylorís lack of a pass rush made him more comfortable, we didnít see any ďbad SteeleĒ moments on Saturday. While he threw the pick it was a great decision Ė a little more loft and thatís a TD. Thatís just a physical error and that happens. Mentally, very, very clean game yesterday and I hope that gives him confidence considering our remaining schedule. OUís defense is daunting, but there is the chance to make some serious hay against KU, UT, and WVU. All remaining games are winnable but those three I think we can expect the offense to produce.

I'm more or less in the same boat you are. Steele went out there and played well. I think Steele showed that he can play to his potential even though this game was far from it IMO just because he has the skills to play better. More games like this though, and less drops from our receivers, namely Horne, we can win out the rest of the season. Our running game also got going late in the game too.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 20

This coaching staff needs to stick with Steele the rest of the game. Jumping around QBs this late in the season will provide No value! SJ has still lost as many games as JB has won 1,

Smoke um if you got um

Starter
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 168

I'm so happy for the result of the game and for Steele. Still, can't help but wonder out loud if this fully ends the QB controversy. Obviously he will and should get the start at Oklahoma.

I was not able to watch the game, I listened to the radio and watched highlights, so maybe some of you can help answer these things for me:

1. The highlights I saw looked like Baylor's D-line put no pressure up front. Is this true? How did Steele respond to temptations to leave the pocket too soon?

2. Most of his throws looked like extremely accurate, nice, tight spirals. Is this right? Or, is it just that Baylor's secondary made him look good?

Any other analysis on the subject (how much was Baylor's badness, how much was him) would be appreciated!

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by khardbored View Post
    I'm so happy for the result of the game and for Steele. Still, can't help but wonder out loud if this fully ends the QB controversy. Obviously he will and should get the start at Oklahoma.

I was not able to watch the game, I listened to the radio and watched highlights, so maybe some of you can help answer these things for me:

1. The highlights I saw looked like Baylor's D-line put no pressure up front. Is this true? How did Steele respond to temptations to leave the pocket too soon?

2. Most of his throws looked like extremely accurate, nice, tight spirals. Is this right? Or, is it just that Baylor's secondary made him look good?

Any other analysis on the subject (how much was Baylor's badness, how much was him) would be appreciated!
    I thought Steele did a very good job of going through his progressions on Saturday. When pressure was coming, he stepped up and made the throw or scrambled a few times. He did a good job checking down and making easy throws and not forcing something down field. Several times that he did scramble, he got outside the pocket, kept his eyes up, and made good throws instead of taking off and trying to make something happen.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

Some of it was Baylor being atrocious, but the majority of his throws were where they need to be and catchable. The receivers made some plays (which should be expected) but also dropped a ton of balls if your last name was Horne. He had a few throws that Barnett unfortunately just can't make.

I don't know that he really made any terribly boneheaded decisions. His interception wasn't boneheaded but a poorly underthrown ball that the defender made a pretty nice play on. If he brings that over the top instead of on a line it's 6. Another probably should've been picked and hit the defender but either the receiver ran into the umpire or the receiver cut off his route and there was a major miscommunication.

The fumble is both on Steele for not doing a good job securing the ball and Mess for running it with a guy you know is fumble prone.

He's going to need to play his best game mentally he's had at Iowa State for us to beat Oklahoma. The Tech defense that embarrassed us isn't nearly as good as the Oklahoma defense coming into Ames and there are going to be a lot tougher throws which need to be made with a lot less room for error.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

OK, another question -- I heard John Walters repeatedly say that Baylor brought the blitz, but seems like most of them were picked up nicely... what's the deal there? Seems like we haven't been able to combat that until Baylor. Is having James White in there a big deal on that? Is Shontrelle improving his blocking?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

Shontrelle looked like he finally gave up on cutting people. He was at least trying to get his hands on them.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,468
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 83

Mechanically, Steele threw the ball well. Stepped into the throw, nice tight spiral, on target passes.

John Walters is my hero

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

Player of the Week: Big 12 - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

Iowa State's goal to begin the season was clear: Reach the postseason again. Players talked of it. Fans clamored for it.

Coach Paul Rhoads, though? He's hinted all along that this team was capable of more. Six wins wasn't good enough.

Reclaiming the starting spot he lost this season, Steele Jantz put Iowa State into fantastic position to reach the postseason with a career game.

At 5-3, though, Iowa State is in position to do much more and validate Rhoads' claims this season that the Cyclones could win five games in Big 12 play and grab an eight-win season.

Jantz took advantage of a suspect Baylor defense with 36 completions on 52 attempts, racking up 381 passing yards and five touchdowns in a 35-21 win over Baylor in Ames. As if there was any doubt, he made it clear this week that he's a whole lot more than a great name.

The senior speedster also took advantage of open running lanes for 54 yards rushing on 10 carries. Jantz was benched in the Big 12 league opener against Texas Tech and ceded his starting spot over the next two games to Barnett before replacing him late against Oklahoma State last week.

On Saturday, it was clear that Jantz did a whole lot more than feel sorry for himself over those last three weeks. For that, he earns our Big 12 Player of the Week honors.

He was far from the most obvious candidate for this award when Saturday began, but by the end, he was the clear candidate, fresh off a huge game that gave Iowa State its second Big 12 victory.

He'll need to stay consistent to keep his job away from a still-hungry Barnett, and a tough matchup awaits this week against arguably the Big 12's best defense, Oklahoma.

Winnable games await beyond the Sooners, though, with road trips to Kansas and Texas. Don't be surprised if Jantz finds himself back here at some point by season's end.

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

Legend
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 510

Are you sure that CPR shouldn't move him to wide receiver?

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

After watching the replays one more time, I'm still very happy with the victory, but Baylor's secondary looked bad ... really bad. They gave a huge cushion, and would allow most any 3-5 yard pass. Sometimes it seemed like they weren't even trying, or at the very least giving a half-hearted effort; a mentally crushed defense.

For example, on the last touchdown pass to West, Jantz looked like he just kind of threw it up there. According to West, the pass was intended for Young, but West reversed his route and just went and got it. The DB's could have got there just as easily, too, if one had made a more athletic move.

Don't get me wrong, Steele's passes looked mostly crisp, but I can't help but think against a defense that's average, half of those TD's would not have been completions.

Who can cheer me up, and help me see that he can duplicate (most) of this performance for the remaining 4 games??!?