Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

A little history based on our 31 unanswered points Saturday...

Many of us were trying to figure out if we have ever scored 31 unanswered points in a game before. A co-worker sent this to me. Supposedly we scored 40 unanswered against Kansas back in '92 but managed to lose the game.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: MIDWEST; Kansas Answers a 40-Point Blitz - New York Times

Kansas 50, Iowa State 47

Nationally ranked Kansas snatched victory from almost certain defeat today, riding quarterback Chip Hilleary's second-half heroics and its hard-hitting defense to a 50-47 victory over Iowa State.

Trailing, 47-21, after an Iowa State blitz of 40 straight points, Kansas (5-1 over all, 2-0 in the Big Eight) rallied behind Hilleary for its biggest comeback ever and first victory in Ames since 1981.

Hilleary scored on a 17-yard run late in the third quarter, then threw two fourth-quarter touchdown passes to cut the lead to 47-42 with 6 minutes 28 seconds left. Larry Thiel scored on a 37-yard fumble return 21 seconds later to put the Jayhawks ahead, and Maurice Douglas's 2-point conversion run made it a 3-point game.

The comeback by Kansas, No. 8 in the New York Times computer rating and 25th in the Associated Press poll, spoiled an outstanding offensive performance by Iowa State (2-4, 0-2), which amassed 516 yards against the nation's second-ranked defense. It was the most points Iowa State has scored in Coach Jim Walden's six seasons and came against a defense that had been allowing only 209 yards and 14 points a game.

But the Iowa State defense, which had contained Kansas in the middle two quarters, could not do it at the end.

Iowa State had to punt after Hilleary's third-quarter touchdown run and the Jayhawks needed only four plays to score, with Hilleary hitting tight end Dwayne Chandler on a 30-yard touchdown pass. Defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield then jarred the ball from Iowa State's Sundiata Patterson and Hassan Bailey recovered at the Iowa State 40. Eight plays later, Hilleary hit Matt Gay on a 12-yard scoring pass, pulling the Jayhawks to 47-42. It took only two more plays for Kansas to take the lead.

Hilleary finished 16 of 27 passes for 239 yards and 4 touchdowns. He also rushed for 83 yards as Kansas piled up 514 yards.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 742

Re: A little history based on our 31 unanswered points Saturday...

I am also pretty sure we may have scored at least 31 straight in the 54-10 win over NIU in 1993, but I am not sure.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Many of us were trying to figure out if we have ever scored 31 unanswered points in a game before. A co-worker sent this to me. Supposedly we scored 40 unanswered against Kansas back in '92 but managed to lose the game.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: MIDWEST; Kansas Answers a 40-Point Blitz - New York Times
    Uggghhh, thanks alot.

I was at that game. Don't remember scoring 40 unanswered. But I sure as hell remember them scoring the 29.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 742

I know we have had some big shutouts over some bad teams in the Mac era, I think we beat UNI bad once and beat Ball St. like 38-0. Not that these are really comparable games. But I don't care so much about the 31 straight as I do about the 21 point comeback.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 679

I really want to -rep ding you for bringing up that comeback into a freakin' hurricane out of the North back in 92. But I like ya too much....

And another -rep ding for letting me remember what Chad May did to us too....

- keep.

Last edited by keepngoal; 11-12-2007 at 01:50 PM.
    The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

I think in the Walden era we were way down to Missouri and came back to win by a couple of touchdowns. Can't remember but I thought it was all unanswered points because MO didn't score again once we got going.

on edit, I remember we beat Colorado State something like 70-0 under duncan.

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p928725649

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

Sorry guys. On a good note...the last time we scored 21 points in one quarter was relatively recent, against K-State in '05. Ironically, it was also in the 3rd quarter.

ESPN - Kansas State Wildcats vs. Iowa State Cyclones Box Score, November 5 2005 - NCAA College Football

We topped that in '04 by scoring 22 points in the 4th quarter to comeback and beat NIU in a score-a-thon. However, 7 of those points did come on an interception return for a TD (we had 2 of those in that game).

ESPN - Northern Illinois Huskies vs. Iowa State Cyclones Box Score, September 18 2004 - NCAA College Football

Last edited by ISUFan22; 11-12-2007 at 01:53 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 947
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Uggghhh, thanks alot.

I was at that game. Don't remember scoring 40 unanswered. But I sure as hell remember them scoring the 29.
    I was at that game too....it was my first ISU game ever. I was 13 years old, my sister was going to ISU and at the time, and being from Minnesota, I wasn't an ISU fan at all (didn't care for the Gophers either). If memory serves, that is when Glen Mason was the KU coach

I still remember how crazy that game was and how much fun it was to watch, since at the time I didn't really care who won.

The thing that I remember the most from that game is the number of trick plays by ISU....there were several and most of them worked well! It was a blast to watch!

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    I was at that game too....it was my first ISU game ever. I was 13 years old, my sister was going to ISU and at the time, and being from Minnesota, I wasn't an ISU fan at all (didn't care for the Gophers either). If memory serves, that is when Glen Mason was the KU coach

I still remember how crazy that game was and how much fun it was to watch, since at the time I didn't really care who won.

The thing that I remember the most from that game is the number of trick plays by ISU....there were several and most of them worked well! It was a blast to watch!

One of the trick plays was the fumbleruski! Jim Thompson one of our guards scored like a 35 yard TD on the play.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 91

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I was at that game. There was an absolutely horrible call against ISU in plain view of the whole stadium in that game involving KU's QB. I don't remember the details, but ISU had them stopped and the call allowed allowed one of KU's drives to continue.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 11-12-2007 at 02:36 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 64

I think in 2001-04 somewhere, we scored 28 unanswerred points agains KSU in the first half on our way to losing 28-35. Blood pressure was a little high that day.