Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 4

Re: Did Steele win his job back?

No QB is perfect. I don't know why Steele Jantz is being held up to a perfect standard that no one could achieve. Everyone is going to have a few bad throws. I would take Steeles performance last night every single week.

For some reason, it seems a lot of people are just waiting for Steele or Barnett to screw up just once so they can play this game of "gotcha!"

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    No QB is perfect. I don't know why Steele Jantz is being held up to a perfect standard that no one could achieve. Everyone is going to have a few bad throws. I would take Steeles performance last night every single week.
    I don't think he's being held up to any kind of perfect standard, just one that says, "If they guy isn't open in the red zone, don't throw it. Worst case we try for 3 points." He did the same thing against Iowa. And where our kicker is far from "Good" you are still throwing points away by throwing to the other team in the Red Zone. "When you are up by 2 touchdowns, don't fumble." I'm sorry, but the guy has a tendency to turn the ball over at the worst possible times. And they are usually bonehead plays that cause the turnover, not some great defensive play.

He's only being held to the standard that a senior, 2nd year starting QB should be held to. Steele would be a pretty good QB if he could just quit the bonehead mistakes. That and we need to not run the read option so much. The guy just can not make the right read. Some of our best plays last night were just straight up designed runs and I actually love the classic option play so far this year. It seems to work well for us. Something that's never really been the case for ISU.

That being said, OK, Steele's the guy, stick with him as much as I want better QB play, it isn't going to happen for anyone when there is constantly a QB competition each week instead of working on getting some of these problems solved. We really need to pick a guy and go with him, unless there is a major collapse, this thing is really only hurting us.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by mcblogerson View Post
    He won a start vs OU but I'll bet you post a "put Barnett in" thread up after next weeks game.
    So very true. BTW...the INT Steele threw was a terrible pass at a terrible time. Then he followed it up on the next possession with a pass right to another Baylor guy who dropped it luckily. Hit him right in the chest though. Running at the end of the game and fumbling may not have been as big of a deal, but he needs to protect the damn ball when he runs. He has positives, but god he can make you pull your hair out in the blink of an eye.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    So very true. BTW...the INT Steele threw was a terrible pass at a terrible time. Then he followed it up on the next possession with a pass right to another Baylor guy who dropped it luckily. Hit him right in the chest though. Running at the end of the game and fumbling may not have been as big of a deal, but he needs to protect the damn ball when he runs. He has positives, but god he can make you pull your hair out in the blink of an eye.
    Brett Favre 2.0

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

All-Star
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    Someone had to start it.
    i wish you would have been aborted.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    Let's all remember that Baylor has the worst defense in all of FBS football. And I believe the worst defense in 16 years. That's bad.

That being said, he played great tonight and we shouldn't take that away from him. I just hope he's found somewhat of a connection with his WR's and can keep it rolling against OU. And can we get some hand warmers for Aaron Horne?
    Maybe on paper, but I dont believe they are actually the worst. There are some teams, including some Big 10 teams, who benefit by not having to defend Big 12 offenses.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Walk On
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    Someone had to start it.
    Baylor has the worst defense in the country so it's not exactly fair to evaluate him on this game. I think we would all agree on that. We did see some of the things SJ has always done better than JB (throwing accurately, throwing on time, reading the entire field, checking down to backs, hitting hot routes, extending plays with feet). These things become easier to do when a QB can be comfortable in the pocket, (Baylors pass rush is non existent). He will certianly not be as comfortable next week.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post

For some reason, it seems a lot of people are just waiting for Steele or Barnett to screw up just once so they can play this game of "gotcha!"
    This

I don't understand why we can't be happy for any of our players when they have a great performance. Steele had one of the best nights by an ISU QB I've ever seen. He made some amazing throws. Yes the INT was a mistake, should have been a TD, but he simply made some plays. He was given time to throw for most o the night, which allowed him to check down to recievers, who were given opportunity to get open. I have felt since the Tech game he took too much heat for what happened there. Did he play poorly, yes. But the line and receivers didn't give him a lot of help. Barnett played great against TCU, but he simply can not throw the ball consistently. If Steele had any help from his buddy Horne last night, his stats would have been huge. And although I am disappointed in Horne, I hope that he has the opportunity to show up next week and have a breakout game.

GO CLONES

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 7

Steele played incredibly well. There were a **** ton of dropped passes early, so you can probably say his completion percentage should have been even higher.

He certainly earned the starting spot for next week. We'll see what happens then. I liked the idea of getting Barnett in there in the 2nd quarter. It didn't exactly work out for him, but it is good to keep him ready. We'll need him yet this season.

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 149

Played well, his INT could have easily been TD #6 too. guy was wide open, just underthrew it in that situation. Yes still he had some turnovers but as long as you have more TD's than turnovers (especially a 5:2 ratio) and you aren't turning the ball over more than the other team (Baylor 4, ISU 2) then I'm okay with it. Just can't sit back and expect OU to turn the ball over 4 times though. We still have to play better next week because OU will not make the mistakes Baylor does.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,035
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

[QUOTE=Erik4Cy;3131418]Played well, his INT could have easily been TD #6 too. guy was wide open, just underthrew it in that situation.

This is exactly what I though from the stands. I think Jantz saw how open he was and took the zip off the throw, like a lot of Qbs do. It was just one of those plays were the QB sees how open someone is a panics about not overthrowing it. If Jantz had guys that didn't drop so many passes, he would probably throw a sharper pass in that situation.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 920
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

[QUOTE=CyCloned;3131472]
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik4Cy View Post
    Played well, his INT could have easily been TD #6 too. guy was wide open, just underthrew it in that situation.

This is exactly what I though from the stands. I think Jantz saw how open he was and took the zip off the throw, like a lot of Qbs do. It was just one of those plays were the QB sees how open someone is a panics about not overthrowing it. If Jantz had guys that didn't drop so many passes, he would probably throw a sharper pass in that situation.
    He was also overthrowing guys in the non-con by 5 yards. That might have been going through his head too.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 4

Yes, although i would be much happier to have that last fumble back.

I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 118

Jantz's performance was a product of good protection from the O-line. When he doesn't have time to throw, the feet start dancing. When the feet start dancing, the Jantz starts running. When the Jantz starts running, the ball gets dropped on the ground.

Don't not give him time to throw. Protect the Jantz and enjoy the success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walton
    Think Oscar Wilde when he said, "every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." But also think Neil Young: the fork in the road, light a candle. Instead of cursing the darkness, let's light a candle for where we're going. This was fantastic for the world. We are better people for having been here. It was absolutely incredible. I'm inspired. I don't know when I'll ever sleep again.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,035
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    Jantz's performance was a product of good protection from the O-line. When he doesn't have time to throw, the feet start dancing. When the feet start dancing, the Jantz starts running. When the Jantz starts running, the ball gets dropped on the ground.

Don't not give him time to throw. Protect the Jantz and enjoy the success.
    It could be that the BU defense is really just horrible, but the line did a great job of protecting him, even when they sent the house. BTW, that Dixon kid is a stud, and has not played for most of the year, so their defense got a little boost with him. In the TT game it was like the OL didn't liked SJ and were letting guys through on purpose, and a lot of times that was with only 4 guys rushing. Seems like once they only rushed 3 guys and they all got through, that is just sad.