Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 42

Re: Bye Bye Jacque

I think this trade is stupid. We trade away one of our best second half hitter for a ****** middle infielder. Good one Jimbo. He better sign Fukudome.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,083
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

As a Twins fan it'll be nice to see Jacque chase pitches waaaaay outside the zone for another team instead of infuriating me.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I think this trade is stupid. We trade away one of our best second half hitter for a ****** middle infielder. Good one Jimbo. He better sign Fukudome.
    We have PLENTY of outfielders and though I agree that Jones had a good second half at the plate, it wasn't anything to write home to mama about.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

Hold your horses this is basically a salary dump so that other moves can be made. Look for Infante to be a utility person who gets little time. JJ has not been a good fit for the cubs over the past few years and he is 30+ years old with power that just is not there anymore. He did have a great second half but its time to move on.

Pro
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,346
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 123

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I don't like the fact that we picked up another light hitting infielder, but I think that getting rid of Jacue will be a good thing. You have to be defenslvely strong up the middle and Pie is a lot better defensively than the aging Jones. We can sign another left fielder, or bring back Floyd at a cheaper price. Besides, I watched him strike out way too many times with runners in scoring position over his Cubs career.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by djcubby View Post
    I don't like the fact that we picked up another light hitting infielder, but I think that getting rid of Jacue will be a good thing. You have to be defenslvely strong up the middle and Pie is a lot better defensively than the aging Jones. We can sign another left fielder, or bring back Floyd at a cheaper price. Besides, I watched him strike out way too many times with runners in scoring position over his Cubs career.
    There is nothing saying Infante will be here come Spring.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

I'm not sold that Pie is ready to be every day player in the bigs yet so I sure hope they sign a decent veteran OF that can play some CF. Pie defensively is great but he's been terrible at the plate in his chances in the bigs.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    There is nothing saying Infante will be here come Spring.
    Exactly right. There's even less that says he'll be here next month. Hard to believe that the Cubs are actively looking for infielders for that purpose. Nobody is unseating Lee or Rameriez. Have to think Theriot and DeRosa are safe and that they Cubs are satisfied with Fontenot and even Cedeno and backups

What the Cubs need is pitching - both starting and relief. And a big bat off the bench.

And I agree with the above that says this most likely is little more than a salary dump.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 11-12-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,346
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 123

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I'm not sold that Pie is ready to be every day player in the bigs yet so I sure hope they sign a decent veteran OF that can play some CF. Pie defensively is great but he's been terrible at the plate in his chances in the bigs.
    He showed some flashes of his talent early on, but he needs to be able to adjust to how big league pitchers are going to pitch to him. I agree, he's not a solid hitter yet, but hopefully another spring will help him advance.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Agreed, but let's hope winter ball helps that. I think it's just a confidence issue. I know it's apples and oranges - but you know as well as I that he hit's the leather off the ball down here in AAA. It can't ALL be the pitching. His brain is half the trouble I think.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,083
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

So as fans would you do a Joe Nathan for Felix Pie?

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Here's my thing, if the Cubs are saying they are trying to win a World Series very soon, now is not the time to dink around with a player like Pie who has a hole in his game and question marks right now as to if he's ready to play every day. Look at Soto, he came in and he proved in a very short time that he's ready to play and I'm very comfortable with him behind the plate next year and you still have Blanco who calls a good game backing him up. That is a type of guy you hand a starting job to. Soto played very well down the stretch and in the playoffs. Pie on the other hand didn't show me nearly enough to make be believe that maybe we weren't better off keeping Jones another year to play CF. I hope I'm wrong on this but until we sign some insurance for the OF, other than Soriano there is a lot of questions about that area right now.

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 56

What free agents are available for center field? I doubt the Cubs sign a Class A free agent as that would require a long term deal and Pie is in the waiting. That being said I don't think it would be the end of the world to trade him away come next year's trade deadline.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Here's my thing, if the Cubs are saying they are trying to win a World Series very soon, now is not the time to dink around with a player like Pie who has a hole in his game and question marks right now as to if he's ready to play every day. Look at Soto, he came in and he proved in a very short time that he's ready to play and I'm very comfortable with him behind the plate next year and you still have Blanco who calls a good game backing him up. That is a type of guy you hand a starting job to. Soto played very well down the stretch and in the playoffs. Pie on the other hand didn't show me nearly enough to make be believe that maybe we weren't better off keeping Jones another year to play CF. I hope I'm wrong on this but until we sign some insurance for the OF, other than Soriano there is a lot of questions about that area right now.
    Nothing you said is wrong. Nothing at all.

Problem for the Cubs is Felix is an all-star here, and just shy of a waste of a uniform up there. This is the first year they've had a chance to realize that - so it's not a trend.

This year will clearly be make or break for Felix. That much is obvious. I think he made strides last off season. Hope he will this year too.

And as to the aquisitions, 1) I think Jones probably had a role (desire) in the move. 2) I doubt they're near done. But the whole ownership/sale issue is certainly a factor in anything they do.