Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cyclone Alley (Rational) Feedback

As I stated in the other thread, I'd like to just start over and forget all of the heated discussion that's occured both last night and today. Please feel free to post any feedback you have for both the Iowa-Kansas ticket pick-up from last night and any general suggestions you may have for Cyclone Alley. Please leave emotion at the door, if at all possible.

Link to My Post in the Other Thread

Last edited by jcrow; 11-12-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,066
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

Re: Cyclone Alley (Rational) Feedback

Does leaving emotion at the door mean no smileys?

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    Does leaving emotion at the door mean no smileys?
    Haha...I would never suggest leaving smileys out of a discussion. You must be crazy ... On a side note, I think I must have two accounts on here because I logged in to the account "jcrow" instead of "j_crow" on accident...weird...

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would like it if Cyclone Alley would sell some of the "props" that they give to the students before the game. This way kids or whomever would be able to partake in the fun. You could do it to raise money for CA.

We took a 13 year old to a game once and she really wanted one of the props. I think it was a megaphone thingy. Also, at the game down in Des Moines, I paid a kid $20 for one of the foam hats for Ripvdub. He NEEDED to have one.

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Another thread about this...ughh

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 4429 mcc View Post
    Another thread about this...ughh
    If you don't like it, don't open the thread. It's not that hard.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    If you don't like it, don't open the thread. It's not that hard.
    How do I close it?

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm feeling constructive today, so a couple of thoughts.

On props:
    Echo thoughts of 4VR4CY above. I've given my prop away to kids numerous times (for the record, if someone wants one after the game - come see me. Unless I REALLY want it, there's a good chance I'll just give it to you), I'd rather they go to someone who wants it than let it go to waste. Also, please give props to the pep band. I don't see any reason why they should be discriminated against just for being in the pep band.

On seating:
    If you're going to make the entire lower bowl CA, either make membership in Cyclone Alley compulsory, or open up one side to open student section. (I'd much prefer the former to the latter at this point in time). I was sour on CA for a year or two (not anymore) when they first changed the seating. I share a name with a former Cyclone player, and as such my freshmen year I preferred to wear his jersey as he played. We were 15-1 when I wore that to a game, and I felt it was pretty lucky. I got pretty upset when I found out I wasn't going to be allowed to wear it anymore if I wanted good seats.

On Free throws - two things:
    1.) Why can't we just do Cyclone Aerobics? Sped up, of course, I'm thinking a continuous forward-right-back-left-forward-right-back-left motion. Everyone knows it, and it should be pretty dizzying. I've brought this up several times to CAC members at games, but I'm not sure if it's ever been discussed.
    2.) I'm not sure, I think this has been attempted once before, but can't we just standardize the motions? Something like - for the first half: first free throw wave left, second free throw wave right, in the last 5 minutes of either half do stand-up and sit-down.

On the ticket pickup:
    Loved the idea - and should have worked great...IF there had been a ticket limit. I much preferred spending a Sunday in nice September weather (that happened to come in November) sitting outside with a few beers, a ribeye and some brats on the grill - to getting jobbed by the voucher system (i.e. getting a good number but a friend getting a bad number or vice-versa, having pickup during a class, etc.) At least tell me at some point during a meeting someone brought up the concern that a frat or floor was just going to send a freshmen out camping and pick up tickets for fifty people. Put a three-to-five person limit on it, and the problem is solved, but I think we've established this one...

On the "pink-out":
    Great idea. I have to question though, why aren't we selling pink shirts to everyone in Hilton for that game and giving the proceeds to charity? If you need help selling, I'm sure you could find people to volunteer (hell, I would) and someone to donate shirts. I don't think this should be a "surprise!" thing. This should be highly publicized. I'd actually like to know when you're planning this so I can mix up some pink face paint.

On the negative criticism:
    Nothing personal, but you gotta realize that yesterday is going to leave a bitter taste in a lot of mouths. It was a good idea with a flaw in it. I'm sure you'll learn from the experience and improve it for next year. If I recall correctly, the same kind of thing happened last year with the "This is how you're supposed to cheer in Cyclone Alley" pamphlet. (I didn't mind it - I finally learned the words to "For I - For S - Forever", but I remember a lot of people feeling insulted by it) I know how hard you guys work, and we appreciate it.

One final thing before I head off to class. I'm curious as to why I didn't get a response to an e-mail last year about joining CAC. I sent something about a month before applications were due mentioning that yeah, I'm down in Texas but still want to apply, can we do phone interviews or how can we make this work out..., and I never heard anything back. I was ready, willing, and able to fly up to Iowa if need be for an interview, and I e-mailed once or twice more and still didn't hear anything, and by that time I didn't have any time left to get references together or find a decently-priced ticket. I don't know, I'm just curious. I'd like to think the feeling I got that I was getting blacklisted by CAC was unjustified.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 4429 mcc View Post
    How do I close it?
    That's it. I call for no more threads on the Front Page. People simply do not know how to not open them. Either that, or they have no self control and simply can't resist opening them.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 284

I share a name with a former Cyclone player, and as such my freshmen year I preferred to wear his jersey as he played.
    Is your real name Marcus Fizer?

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 4VR4CY View Post
    I would like it if Cyclone Alley would sell some of the "props" that they give to the students before the game. This way kids or whomever would be able to partake in the fun. You could do it to raise money for CA.

We took a 13 year old to a game once and she really wanted one of the props. I think it was a megaphone thingy. Also, at the game down in Des Moines, I paid a kid $20 for one of the foam hats for Ripvdub. He NEEDED to have one.
    I'd be more than willing to give up any of my props that I get from games, I usually end up with way to many somehow and I never use mine because I am to concerned with just cheering.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by price26 View Post
    I'd be more than willing to give up any of my props that I get from games, I usually end up with way to many somehow and I never use mine because I am to concerned with just cheering.
    I appreciate that, but for some reason we usually find the people that want us to pay $20 for something that is worth $5 or less. I am willing to pay, but would rather the money go towards something other than some jerks beer fund.

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Superfan,

Thanks for the amazing feedback. A couple of thoughts:
    Pinkout- Pinkout will be during the Texas game for Men's and the Women's game that follows that evening (Both are February 9th I believe). Maybe sport a pink cape? ;)

As for selling shirts, it is going to be pretty crazy handing out shirts to a pretty big crowd of students (it's a saturday game on ABC...big time), and we're already pulling some help from SALC, but logistically speaking, we just don't have a good idea as to how many people would actually purchase a shirt outside of cyclone alley (everyone in the alley gets their's for free)...being as once again, this is something new, we don't know what kind of response to expect. The shirts have already been generously donated, and they are giving us close to 2800...but believe me, this is something that we have discussed, but with only an hour before tipoff, there isn't much time to move people through...

Something that did come up recently was selling bracelets (think livestrong) to go toward our donation, as well as any cash people wished to donate while picking up their shirts, as well as alumni who understand the cause and wish to donate. I also hope to get a shirt autographed by the Men's and Women's teams and auction it off with all profits going toward Hoops for Hopes as well.

Free Throws- LOVE the idea of doing Cyclone Aerobics, especially very quick. However, doing the same thing for an enitre half ruins whatever element of surprise we have, and I think some fans like to keep it mixed up as we do them...I know everyone "hates" sit down, yet every game I have people in the front row asking to do sit down...it gets mixed reactions, but we're in the process fo adding stand up and that should be there in time for UNI...I'll bring up Cyclone Aerobics at our next meeting.

Booklet- I helped put the book together last year, and I continue to apologize to this day that everyone interpreted it as "this is how things are done and nothing else"...it was merely a way for Central to get out some of the new things we were going to try last season, ie. Free throws. It's intended audience was Freshman who were new to the section and help them have an idea what was going on and have a handy dandy roster, ESPECIALLY witht he amount of new people on the team last season. If you look in this year's, I made sure there was an entire page dedicated to clarifying the purpose, and I hope that helps to assure people we aren't trying to tell them how to cheer, just helping start some things up.

I really do apologize for your lost e-mails, but I'm not entirely sure what could have happened...last year we went through a large transition last year, having both of our advisors leave and having a state of limbo for some time without an advisor...I really do apologize, I would have loved to given you the chance to interview, but I just don't know what happened, so as Co-Chair, I take responsibility for that and I truly do apologize that this happened. I hear great things about you from other central members that know you, and it's too bad you missed that chance....hopefully you still have some time to devote to central maybe next year, even if it's jsut a semester (we have had people only on the committee for a semester due to Graduation). In no way did we intentionally blow you off, we were just amiss some changes, and there really should be no excuse...

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Oh, forgot selling props.

Something else we have considered, but it's something we just don't have the revenue for...props are our most expensive thing, and it's really hard to get discounts beyond where we are at as far as numbers...yes, we always get people asking where they can buy our props, and we've been looking for a couple of months at starting up an online store where alumni can purchase some Cyclone Alley props, and we could offer cyclone alley sweatshirts and other items such as window clings and such to students in the alley....once again, it comes down to you need to spend money to make money, and we're still trying to budget everything for the rest of the season (5 buses to Lincoln gets expensive, and we try to keep it at as little additional cost to students as possible.)

Funny story about road trips, last year UNI tickets were $30 a piece, and then we had food and transportation.....and we were unable to buy tickets until about two weeks before the game itself...try to imagine taht nightmare....haha

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

good post superfan...

when i read the cyclone aerobics for free throws i started laughing! we will definitely talk about that at our meetings cuz just picturing that in my head with everyone yelling the da-da, da-da, I!, da-da-da-da...awesome! other than that i was going to say some things alleycrew53 said so there is no need to repeat it. i also can't wait to start the stand up...everyone will sit down and then jump up and scream at the shooter...that will also be pretty funny to watch the section across from you do and fun for you to do(we tried it at a women's game)