Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Because it pertains to both last year's game and a tactic used by both our offenses..

ISU runs bubble screens to help open up the inside run and so does Baylor. With ISU keeping 2 safeties deep last year the bubble+run combo left your D in a no win scenario. I am posting this breakdown I posted on a BU message board not as smack but as a record of how what happened happened. I think ISU will have a different strategy this year FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by S11 View Post
    Every year we get the exact same question asked ad nauseum on this board.

"Why do we run the bubble screen?"
    "That bubble screen never goes for a TD"
    and so on and so forth.

Here is why we do it.

First let's start with our basic 4 wide formation. This picture that I will be using is from what became a run of over 20 yards against ISU.

Now look at the following things in this photo-

1- ISU is petrified of giving Sampson, Wright, Reese, and Williams single coverage. They had seen the film on RG3 torching TCU, Rice, and KSU and felt they didn't have the athletes to run with us. It is evident by how far back their safeties (#22 Ter'ran Benton and #10 Washington) are lined up. They are lined up on the 25 and 27 yard lines- over 10 yards away from the ball. They will not be in any position to offer immediate help near the line of scrimmage.

2- Their LB #20 Jake Knott and nickel defender #24 Durrell Givens are lined up well inside of our slot WRs. Middle LB AJ Klein is right across from our interior OL.

3- The corners are aligned typically here opposite the Wideouts. They won't be a big concern in the run game here.

So we have 5 blockers on the offensive line and 2 slot WR and they have 7 guys who could be a factor in immediate run support with their 4 DL, 2 LBs, and nickel back Givens. Everyone else is too far away.

Picture 2 here is where I photoshopped out the players who would be irrelevant on an inside run play based on how the teams lined up.
    - Our 2 outside WRs
    - Their 2 CBs across from them
    - Their 2 deep safeties

Looking at it there is no real way you can expect Kendall Wright or Tevin Reese to push LB Jake Knott around. Best we could do is crack down on them and hope to bounce the play outside but then the CB's and Safeties would usually react and stop us more often than not if we have to bounce outside a lot.

The fact is we are outnumbered 7 defenders to 5 blockers when you consider how ineffective the slots would be in pushing the defenders inside them around. We could make a play here or there but not with the kind of consistency we desire. We can do better than that.

So what do we do? We make the defense adjust to us. We threaten them with the following:

We threaten them with watching us complete the mother of all easy passes to our slots or outside WR's with the other one blocking the CB. This leaves the fast and elusive offensive player in a one on one situation against the safety who is lined up far away. Not what a D wants to see. Even if the safety makes the play it's 5-6 easy yards and it makes the rest of the D tire out running from inside the hashes. If the safety doesn't make the play it becomes big.

So if they widen out like so:

We now have 5 blockers on 5 defenders inside and will run them over all day long.

That is exactly how we did it. Here is how the play turned out:

In frame 1 we see that the 2 guys lined up initially inside the slot WRs are halfway to the numbers as Ganaway gets the carry. That is roughly 10 yards or so from the center of the field. We also see the 2 deep safeties are 15 yards away and largely irrelevant.

Frame 2 shows just how bad this hurts the D:
    - The 2 slot defenders aren't even inside the hash marks before Ganaway is 3 yards upfield.

The bubble screen may be a frustrating play for some but it is consistently productive and sets us up for plays like this by forcing the D to account for it.

This simple adjustment helped Ganaway average over 8.5 yards per carry that night.

But what if they abandon the 2 deep safety alignment?

Then it opens things up in the pass game as the secondary players either have to go to a man coverage or cover 3 variation that isn't as good against the pass.

Rookie
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Re: Because it pertains to both last year's game and a tactic used by both our offens

I just hope Briles is still mad at Lache Seastrunk and he stays in the dog house we only have to stop Salubi and not him. Terrified of that stocky speedy little guy he'll break at least one if he finally gets a decent amount of touches (just ISU's luck that we'd lose the best linebacker in America and then Briles would decide to play maybe the best RB in the country who had been riding the pine prior...)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 70

Re: Because it pertains to both last year's game and a tactic used by both our offens

Good breakdown of the X's and O's.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseCyclone View Post
    I just hope Briles is still mad at Lache Seastrunk and he stays in the dog house we only have to stop Salubi and not him. Terrified of that stocky speedy little guy he'll break at least one if he finally gets a decent amount of touches (just ISU's luck that we'd lose the best linebacker in America and then Briles would decide to play maybe the best RB in the country who had been riding the pine prior...)
    Pretty nice breakdown, definitely didn't come across as smack. Anyone who watched the game last year saw our defense do pretty okay against the pas but get completely GUTTED up the middle on draw plays.

Just some criticisms: make the images bigger or just use top-down X's and O's instead of screen shots. It'll look better and be easier to understand.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10

Where are the receivers and secondary in your 5 on 5?

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Where are the receivers and secondary in your 5 on 5?
    I photoshopped them out of the pic as they are all tied up with the bubble screen to help illustrate the point.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    Pretty nice breakdown, definitely didn't come across as smack. Anyone who watched the game last year saw our defense do pretty okay against the pas but get completely GUTTED up the middle on draw plays.

Just some criticisms: make the images bigger or just use top-down X's and O's instead of screen shots. It'll look better and be easier to understand.
    Does your browser not allow you to click and view the original image? On mine it shrinks them to fit but you can click to see the full size image.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 65

While reading through that post, for a split second, it took me back to my days of playing football. I felt like I was watching a film on the opposing team and learning what to do on certain formations.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,974
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

The big difference between Baylor's bubble screen and Iowa State's bubble screen is that Baylor knows how to run it. Iowa State's screen plays are a cluster **** of pratfall comedy.

Rookie
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Good writeup. Not smack talk at all. Just using success against ISU as an X's and O's demonstration.

ISU's game plan last year was to prevent big plays by Griffin and Wright, but as your post shows, while they adjusted their scheme to do this, the tradeoff was this didn't allow ISU to commit any extra defenders to the box. This presented an opportunity for Ganaway and the Baylor running game, and unfortunately for ISU, they were not able to win the 5 on 5 battle upfront. 5 on 5 is tough for the defense to win simply because there is more space compared to a traditional running play, but given the weapons Baylor had, I think it was the right scheme for ISU to run. They just didn't quite have the personnel to pull it off.

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 194

I don't think we are terribly afraid of going 1 on 1 with our CBs and your WRs. We have done a pretty good job of keeping these plays to gains of less than 3 yards. And I'm just waiting for Reeves (or Watson) to come quick on one and get a Pick 6.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    I don't think we are terribly afraid of going 1 on 1 with our CBs and your WRs. We have done a pretty good job of keeping these plays to gains of less than 3 yards. And I'm just waiting for Reeves (or Watson) to come quick on one and get a Pick 6.
    It's hard to step in front of a ball when we play 5-7 yards of cushion every play. We didn't think our corners could handle Kansas State without a massive cushion...do you really think that cushion is going to shrink against Baylor?

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 27

Last year's game has nothing to do with this year's. Baylor doesn't have anyone on their squad who will be the second pick in the NFL draft.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    Last year's game has nothing to do with this year's. Baylor doesn't have anyone on their squad who will be the second pick in the NFL draft.
    Our offense hasn't missed a beat though. I don't think ISU will use the same strategy as last year's defensive plan but if they do I expect BU to run it very well again.