Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 531

CPR Call In Show Monday

CPR Call In Show 10-22-12

Sorry, I wasn't online Monday night or yesterday, but after listening to the radio show Monday night, I just had to share, and I didn't see any other posts about it. I was absolutely amazed at the quality of that show. I swear, it was the best, most substantive coach’s call in show that I have ever heard, not only the questions, but CPR taking the time to offer detailed, in depth answers.

I didn't catch everything, but I tried to scribble down a few things afterwards.

Said that he hadn’t looked at Baylor film yet, because today (Monday) was spent recruiting, and Sunday was spent breaking down Iowa State film. Talked about how he wanted to identify every single breakdown and the cause of it.

*When asked about the play Quenton Bundrage started off the game with, mentioned that it was used again later for an intermediate ten yard gain, but sometimes there is a mentality that if they use a play too much, the other team will stop it. I’ll tie this to the Woody Hayes philosophy that you run a play until they stop it—then run it again to make sure that it wasn’t an accident. Anyway, he said that was something he was making a point of with his coaches.

*Holding: I can’t remember the phrase that he said that referees use. Material disadvantage? Anyway, he and John Walters got a good chuckle out of it.

*Shaban Dika: Said that Shaban was back working out in pads, but not yet cleared for contact. Mentioned that he had expected Shaban to be a starter this season, that he would have given a “push” inside at guard that the team is lacking, said that Ethan Tuftee* does the same thing, and it would have been nice to have two guards like that.
    **I’ll point out that Ethan has been injured the last two games.

*Running game: Said that as head coach, he had also expected a better running game this season, especially after Shontrelle was running wild through training camp. Then pointed out that while Wally does a great job scheming for opponents, he doesn’t do that in practice against our own team, so perhaps he should have taken that into account.

*When asked about the offensive line, said that their intent isn’t to blow people off the ball, in the zone it’s to get blockers in the right position on defenders, and give the running backs a chance to make tacklers miss. Said that there weren’t many holes opening up, and the running backs weren’t making many people miss.

*Said something about Josh Lenz and James White’s status, but I lost track of whether it was “cleared for water work” or the next step beyond.

*When asked whether Sam Richardson had been competing for the job last week, said ‘yes’, then mentioned that when he was asked last week about whether the quarterback position was wide open, he told the media “no”, because he didn’t want the kids to have to worry about that.

*Freshmen: Talked about being pleased with how well prepared the entire freshman class, which is redshirting, has been.

*Talked about the process of how a coach evaluates and determines what player will play, mentioned how as a position coach he took notes and graded players, and the exceptions to that rule. For example, a 90% grade might sound great—unless two or three of those plays are being beaten deep for touchdowns.

*Referred to the offensive line as “well instructed”.

*Talked about how Rob Standard was worked into game prep because of injuries, but it simply didn’t work out to put him into the game.

*Talked about how Coach Bleil grades the offensive line, says that he gives letter grades. Mentioned that a grade of 2.6-2.8 is usually “pretty good”, but the line had been grading pretty bad. Didn’t say what their grades had been lately, but I figured that “pretty bad” was clear enough.

*Was asked about Grant Rohach, and that slips my mind. Oh, something about a short, compact delivery that makes you wince at first, but when you see the results, then it grows on you.

I’m sure it’s not the only thing I’m missing. Maybe someone else can add in.

Made me wish I had heard Jamie Pollard talking beforehand. Guess JP will be on next week again.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

Re: CPR Call In Show Monday

Just watch the replay on cyclones.tv.

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thanks for the write up! I'll have to listen to the replay tonight.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 531

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Just watch the replay on cyclones.tv.
    Well, I could have posted a link, then typed the word "discuss", but that wasn't quite what I was after .

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 957
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 48

*When asked about the play Quenton Bundrage started off the game with, mentioned that it was used again later for an intermediate ten yard gain, but sometimes there is a mentality that if they use a play too much, the other team will stop it. I’ll tie this to the Woody Hayes philosophy that you run a play until they stop it—then run it again to make sure that it wasn’t an accident. Anyway, he said that was something he was making a point of with his coaches.

This is what really drives me crazy, they run the option 1 or 2 times a game and it works, so we better stop using it or they might stop it?????? Now look at the number of times the read option is run in a game and does nothing at all, especially when the RB gets the ball. Do you know why, the other team is defending it. This is why we need to get a new OC, someone that will calls plays that work instead of what he would like to work.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post

This is what really drives me crazy, they run the option 1 or 2 times a game and it works, so we better stop using it or they might stop it?????? Now look at the number of times the read option is run in a game and does nothing at all, especially when the RB gets the ball. Do you know why, the other team is defending it. This is why we need to get a new OC, someone that will calls plays that work instead of what he would like to work.
    Yeah, on the Monday Evening QBs Show on KXNO Austen has said that Herman would frequently run the same play over and over if the defense couldn't stop it. If something works, keep doing it!