What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Recruit
    Points: 6,673, Level: 24
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    76
    Points
    6,673
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    I went with my son and his family to Stillwater Saturday for the game. I started out sitting at our assigned seats. Later on I moved to about the third row from the field and sat with the parents. I got to see quite a bit of action at that level. I am not going to get on Jared Barnett. What i saw was him taking many snaps from the center, which by the way, were slow snaps which delayed the quarterback getting the ball quickly. When Barnett did get the ball I counted only to three or four before their were Oklahoma State players right next to him. Many times he was extremely active by doing a reverse roll to the left to escape at least three defenders. One time as he spun out to his left two defensive ends or linebackers were coming so fast that they collided knocking each other down. My point is this. I believe we should go to a different offense at times when that is happening. Why not go to a Power I with Barnett under center, Woody at fullback and Johnson or Nealy the tailbacks. Bring in the two biggest and strongest tight ends that we have and place the linemen next to each other and run it up the middle with Woody leading. I think that we could keep the defense off the field for a long time and also score. We did that once before when we were having a tough year under McCarney. I believe they moved the tight end Banks to running back and we won the game against Kansas at Ames.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 440,248, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,027
    Points
    440,248
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 32

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    Simple answer: We don't have the personnel up front to run the power I.

    Another simple answer: How many plays do you want the playbook to be? Each time you add a play you're taking practice time from another.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 880,291, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,743
    Points
    880,291
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,995
    Given: 2,384

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    Paragraphs. Bullet points.

    Don't know why so many people are writing books on here lately.

    OK, whine finished.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 128,045, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,773
    Points
    128,045
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 0

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    Quote Originally Posted by belmond64 View Post
    When Barnett did get the ball I counted only to three or four before their were Oklahoma State players right next to him.
    In most cases the ball needs to be gone by "four", if not by "three".



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,968, Level: 73
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,516
    Points
    56,968
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 343

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    Quote Originally Posted by belmond64 View Post
    I went with my son and his family to Stillwater Saturday for the game. I started out sitting at our assigned seats. Later on I moved to about the third row from the field and sat with the parents. I got to see quite a bit of action at that level. I am not going to get on Jared Barnett. What i saw was him taking many snaps from the center, which by the way, were slow snaps which delayed the quarterback getting the ball quickly. When Barnett did get the ball I counted only to three or four before their were Oklahoma State players right next to him. Many times he was extremely active by doing a reverse roll to the left to escape at least three defenders. One time as he spun out to his left two defensive ends or linebackers were coming so fast that they collided knocking each other down. My point is this. I believe we should go to a different offense at times when that is happening. Why not go to a Power I with Barnett under center, Woody at fullback and Johnson or Nealy the tailbacks. Bring in the two biggest and strongest tight ends that we have and place the linemen next to each other and run it up the middle with Woody leading. I think that we could keep the defense off the field for a long time and also score. We did that once before when we were having a tough year under McCarney. I believe they moved the tight end Banks to running back and we won the game against Kansas at Ames.
    NFL defensive lineman are trained to get to the quarterback in three seconds. I assume the same is generally true of college defensive lineman. That's why sometimes coaches talk about getting rid of the ball by 2.5 seconds.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 178,257, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,390
    Points
    178,257
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,629
    Given: 422

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Paragraphs. Bullet points.

    Don't know why so many people are writing books on here lately.

    OK, whine finished.
    Too long; didn't read



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 55,783, Level: 73
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,952
    Points
    55,783
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 64

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    Cliffsnotes Version:

    I'm a grandpa.

    I got pretty close to the field.

    I'm also smarter than our coaches.

    Remember McCarney?



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 560,608, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,524
    Points
    560,608
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 192

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Too long; didn't read
    TL;DR




  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 348,329, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,605
    Points
    348,329
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 92

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    1. We don't have a single RB for this especially if Woody is playing FB
    2. We do not have the offense for this.
    3. Then you have to be able to pass out of the formation.


    It's all snark from here on out

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 164,530, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8,907
    Points
    164,530
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 113

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    TL;DR



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 560,608, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,524
    Points
    560,608
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 192

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post




  12. #12
    Prospect
    Points: 1,760, Level: 11
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    49
    Points
    1,760
    Level
    11
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    why have we not taken a snap under center since 2006?



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 649,753, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    25,002
    Points
    649,753
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,554
    Given: 277

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones2004 View Post
    why have we not taken a snap under center since 2006?
    Cooties.



  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,820, Level: 20
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    dafarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    241
    Points
    4,820
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    They have a two back set in the playbook! They ron it at Okie State for a touchdown. Just run it a few times more.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 27,767, Level: 51
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 883
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,823
    Points
    27,767
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 160

    Re: What I Saw at Stillwater Saturday!

    I'm a little surprised by the reaction to this post. I read it. I enjoyed reading it. I survived.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM