Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 11,330, Level: 32
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Splendid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    566
    Points
    11,330
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 33

    Now Nile Kinnick would have been president

    Holy cow, hawk fans already think they will win the national championship and the heisman trophy but now this weekend I hear if Nile Kinnick would have lived he would have been President of the United States too! Who are these guys?


    :) Want the stadium full? Bring a friend!

  2. #2
    Walk On
    Points: 7,344, Level: 25
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    138
    Points
    7,344
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Nile Kinnick was a great Iowan ... who knows what he might have been? If they want to think that he would be President ... who knows? Look two generations of Bush got elected!:Tongue:



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 130,325, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    michaelrr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    5,876
    Points
    130,325
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 111
    That viewpoint is nothing new all of a sudden - it's been publicized for a long time. No one can say it would have happened for sure. Forget he played football, it sounds as if he was a great individual. To rip on the guy for wearing black and gold is just plain wrong.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 22,781, Level: 46
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CY ST8T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,553
    Points
    22,781
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I didn't really care about that talk as Nile Kinnick was a great Iowan. What bugged me was listening to the broadcasters talking up Montana like it was the greatest test that Iowa could have ever had to test there team to the fullest. Come on idiots, everyone knows that it is a 1-AA opponent and when we open with one we get slammed all year for it by hawk fans.


    ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!


    Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

  5. #5
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    160
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Splendid View Post
    Holy cow, hawk fans already think they will win the national championship and the heisman trophy but now this weekend I hear if Nile Kinnick would have lived he would have been President of the United States too! Who are these guys?

    Kinnick was a great Iowan, a great athlete, and 4.0 student, and class president.

    No doubt he could of been governor or a successful businessman, or civic leader. He had a lot more leadership qualities than President Herbert Hoover, so who knows.

    He dad was an Iowa stater, so he had good bloodlines.


    Duke Kahanamoku

  6. #6
    Walk On
    Points: 7,437, Level: 25
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Where our RV is parked
    Posts
    144
    Points
    7,437
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by ferdnand1 View Post
    He had a lot more leadership qualities than President Herbert Hoover, so who knows.
    Europe is what it is today thanks to the leadership of Hoover. Thank goodness Truman had the smarts to put Hoover in charge of rebuilding Europe after WWII. As for the depression, Hoover was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 13,050, Level: 34
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    SlyCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Liberty, Iowa
    Posts
    804
    Points
    13,050
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    He gave his life for his country.....I'll drink to that.



  8. #8
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    886
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    CYST8--Mac talks up every opponent as if they're the '85 Bears.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 406,047, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,532
    Points
    406,047
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 794
    Given: 525
    Now that we know the stats on Nile Kinnick, how about Jack Trice stats?
    At least the two Iowa school did not name their stadium something equivalent to Bill Snyder. They named them for plasyers and not coaches. Nebraska named their stadium after the WWI army people. Not bad either.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 50,924, Level: 69
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AirWalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,750
    Points
    50,924
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    Now that we know the stats on Nile Kinnick, how about Jack Trice stats?
    Jack Trice only played about half a game before he got injured, didn't he?


    Go Sssssssssyclones!

  11. #11
    Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    monkeybrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    882
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONE2THEBONE View Post
    CYST8--Mac talks up every opponent as if they're the '85 Bears.

    aahhh...the resident "oust McCarney" coup leader has surfaced...albeit a minor shot across the bow. More pebbles of propaganda to be spilt upon the site?...hoping for a mid-season replacement? Do tell. May day is filled with endless reports and I need some happy fun.

    everyone...release the blades from your scabbards...here it comes.


    Last edited by monkeybrow; 09-06-2006 at 02:36 PM.

  12. #12
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,552, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    234
    Points
    7,552
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Trice

    The Jack Trice story unreal. He died because of his Skin color. However he was not the first african american college football player in iowa. Ellsworth College (way way way before it changed from a 4 year liberal arts college to a JUCO) had an african american playing on their team in 1898. Iowa had a guy named Duke Slater who played in 1918. BOTH DUKE SLATER AND JACK TRICE were marked by minnesota players for racial reasons. Slater was intentionally knocked unconscious by a minnesota player and a few years later Trice was killed (homicide) by the same minnesota team.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 19,757, Level: 42
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    iccyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    1,405
    Points
    19,757
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhighcy View Post
    BOTH DUKE SLATER AND JACK TRICE were marked by minnesota players for racial reasons. Slater was intentionally knocked unconscious by a minnesota player and a few years later Trice was killed (homicide) by the same minnesota team.
    Now that the thread has been thoroughly hijacked from the original topic, I'll make my initial contribution to this board!

    Homicide might be too strong a word, but the Gopher squads definitely had a problem with race. There was an article several years ago (DM Register) about a Drake QB named Johnny Bright who was targeted for injury due to the fact he was black. I believe the "Bright Game" was in the 1950's so their legacy of cheap shots was long and brutal.

    Back on topic, I live in IC and I know two people who have named their children after Nile Kinnick. While technically he gave his life defending the country, it really wasn't that dramatic. He ditched a training aircraft into the ocean off South America when the landing gear malfunctioned. It wasn't like he dove on a live grenade and saved the other four guys in the foxhole! He may have been a great guy (no doubt of that), but he wasn't a war hero!



  14. #14
    Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    monkeybrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    882
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    Now that the thread has been thoroughly hijacked from the original topic, I'll make my initial contribution to this board!

    Homicide might be too strong a word, but the Gopher squads definitely had a problem with race. There was an article several years ago (DM Register) about a Drake QB named Johnny Bright who was targeted for injury due to the fact he was black. I believe the "Bright Game" was in the 1950's so their legacy of cheap shots was long and brutal.

    Back on topic, I live in IC and I know two people who have named their children after Nile Kinnick. While technically he gave his life defending the country, it really wasn't that dramatic. He ditched a training aircraft into the ocean off South America when the landing gear malfunctioned. It wasn't like he dove on a live grenade and saved the other four guys in the foxhole! He may have been a great guy (no doubt of that), but he wasn't a war hero!
    I leap onto a few "live grenades" daily...perhaps a statue of me shall be erected in front of Jeremy's house? People will place flowers...candies...and love trinkets at my likeness for years to come



  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,552, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    234
    Points
    7,552
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Anyone who dies while serving their country during wartime is a war hero in my book.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM