Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 784
    Given: 199

Speechless
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 516
    Given: 336

Re: Monday Musings: Oct. 22, 2012

Tale of Two Cities. Best offense, worst defense for Baylor.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 176

Chris with your comment about run the ball, wouldn't it make more sense to start Barnett who is the best runner out of the group?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 256

Very good write up. The optimistic 'clone in me hopes that a motivating CPR and ****-poor Baylor defense will help the offense out tremendously. Better OL play = better QB play and better RB play.

I don't know if I'd bet on SR yet, but I wouldn't rule it out completely

KFitzy87

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    Chris with your comment about run the ball, wouldn't it make more sense to start Barnett who is the best runner out of the group?
    Then we'd have the problem that they'd stack the box more often since they know Barnett is the least accurate passer we have

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 176

Quote Originally Posted by KFitzy87 View Post
    Then we'd have the problem that they'd stack the box more often since they know Barnett is the least accurate passer we have
    So wouldn't they do the same against Jantz, daring him to make good decisions in the pass game? At least if JB was running it we would have a clear advantage over the rush D.

Just thinking out loud

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Suspect Lenz and White will be back and give the offense a boost.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Publisher
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 784
    Given: 199

I know that JB can run. He's good at it. My point was more that the running game with the actual running backs is where the offense needs improvement. Like I wrote, RB's only had 13 carries on Saturday.

KFitzy87

So wouldn't they do the same against Jantz, daring him to make good decisions in the pass game? At least if JB was running it we would have a clear advantage over the rush D.

Just thinking out loud
    The way I think of it is when the opponent's front four gets pressure on our quarterback within 3 seconds 75% of the time, we need the guy who can pass better on the run to be back there. Jantz can run effectively as long as he isn't indecisive (which he has been a lot this year, unfortunately). But that doesn't mean we need to use the zone read offense if he's in there *cough Messingham cough*

Prospect
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

agree with the Pintrest crap! more harm than good!

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,970
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 14

There isn't much evidence that would indicate Barnett makes the ISU run game better.

Legend
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 580
    Given: 1,020

Very good stuff this week Chris! Especially like the step away from the keyboard recommendation.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I know that JB can run. He's good at it. My point was more that the running game with the actual running backs is where the offense needs improvement. Like I wrote, RB's only had 13 carries on Saturday.
    Yet if the defense defends our running back, then the qb is forced to run or pass. Wait. That is what is happening.

It seems that we need to run the qb outside and then keep running instead of throwing intoi a crowd. A few of these ruins early might cause the defense to do something different. Then we can run the ball with the back. If our tight end would make a couple acrobatic catches, it would help also.

Last edited by Wesley; 10-22-2012 at 12:09 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 8

Nice work here, Chris. I'm looking for the OL to get some of their mojo back against Baylor. I'm going to watching for how well the OL controls the LOS against a dysmal Baylor defense. It appears to me that Baylor has some athletes in the secondary, but in the 3-4 times I have watched them, they were basically getting mauled in the trenches by opposing OLs. This is a team that I think just about any Big12 offense should be able to run for 150+ yards on. Less than that and more of the QB running for his life will tell us all we need to know about our OL. It's a team where north-south running with Woody would be effective, so I'm hoping we just come out angry and never let up in the run game. That's what sets up our passing game. We've seen what happens when teams don't need to do much to shut down the run game - they pin their ears back and make our weak passing game beat them. I think last week was a bit of a hangover from expending a lot of effort on KSU. We were just out of sync in so many areas. Not sure, but we just didn't have it, particularly on offense.

We just have to have more accuracy from the QB. Flat out. Whoever is at the QB needs to make these routine throws. It ain't rocket science. That said, our receivers have to help out the QB and make some plays. Put some dadgum stickum on those gloves and secure the catch, sacrifice your body, you might even need to lay out for a pass here or there. Get it done.

I'm in favor of rotating Richardson in for a couple series each half minimum. I wouldn't bother with Jantz at this point - maybe if we're down late and chasing points again, I might put him in, but his snaps are missed snaps for Richardson at this point. Our season is on the brink and we need production and efficiency from the QB spot, period. We need this offense to get its stuff together from the QB on down.

I was encouraged by the play of the young guys like Bundrage and Nealy. Would it be weird to put Richardson in there and see a little glimpse of the future? I'd like to see it, frankly because our skill positions have clearly underperformed and I want these guys to get some reps with the lights on.

We're beating ourselves with the offensive efforts these last few games. That's what gives me some hope. We all always have a chance because of the defense, but we all know it takes both sides. We really need to find our passion as an offense and play with some fire. Return to our lunch pail and hard hat mindset and just go to work. I'm trying to be optimistic, but honestly, I'm pretty dispirited at this point. I really shouldn't be because, if you would have offered me 4-3 at this point prior to the season, I would probably have taken it. I think Baylor is going to put up 28-34 on us, so the question is "Can we match that?" Against the 120th ranked defense, the answer should be hell yes, but I suppose we will see. I can't say I'm much of an optimist at this point.

Cheers

I'm with you on Pinterest, and I would go ahead and put Facebook (gasp!) in there as well. We all have our time drains (like CF for me), but my goodness.

Last edited by Cyclophile1; 10-22-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Man, I can't spell

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 508
    Given: 470

If you guys can't control your women on Pinterest then I don't want to hear any of you complaining about an OL who can't control a blitzing linebacker. Go to the ball store and buy a pair.