Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 223

Offensive Woes

Some of you people think its a matter of calling plays only. Let me go through what graduated on offense last year. 1. Money Reynolds 2. KO and Hayworth Hicks What does that add up to? Physicality at their positions. How many times did we run behind KO and know he would beat his guy? How many times did we throw a jump ball or a ball that required Reynolds to outposition the db for the the ball? Check last years OSU game, with out KO Woody isnt blowing through the D-line, without Money we dont beat Iowa. Those 2 guys would make our qb's a little better. We cant estabish the run consistently, because our line isnt physical, if we could then life for are qb's would be easier, we cant complete passes consistently because of inaccuracy as well as lack of physical receivers. Another reason we cant establish the run is our recievers arent physical enough for downfield blocking. Alot of things would open up with better players. Our qb's are terrible but it doesnt help when we cant create consistent matchup problems with superior players anywhere on our offense. Coach Messingham inherited a slightly down offense, lets stay positive at least this year and the next, let the new guys come in and if its not working then so be it and lets show him the door.
    With a few exceptions the team takes on the personality of their head coach because he is the guy closing the deals in the living room. Our team resembles our head coach, our defense is ahead of the offense. West Virginia/OSU/Baylor are the same way, but exactly opposite. Which would you rather have? Playing KSU tough with a shot to win it in the end or getting blasted 55-14 like West Virginia? Granted each is a loss but us Cyclone fans know what getting blasted feels like.

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 30

Re: Offensive Woes

Rhoads gave Mess his full support and Woody sounded positive after Saturday's game. My guess is they'll figure this out by the end of the season. I also think it's definitely a matter of adjustments, that's why we start games so strong and struggle after the first couple possessions.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

My problem with the offense isn't play calling, it's the entire scheme. This is year 4 of this offense. Granted, under a new guy, but none the less, I have yet to see anything in 4 years that makes me think this offense is the right direction. I keep hoping I'm going to be proven differently, but every week it's the same thing. Right now we'd probably kill to have last years O, and I've seen a couple of posts wishing AA was still here. All things that were complained about non-stop during those seasons. It's amazing, but just when I think, it can't get any worse, it finds a way to.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 16

I don't really have that much to say, as it is a problem with the offense in general, but, I do have a couple thoughts:

1. Why are we not seeing more of Jeff Woody? We are not having success throwing the ball, we might as well let him pound on opposing defenses a little.

2. Barnett is a good runner, but not a good scrambler. In that I mean, he can run with the ball, but seems to be a terrible thrower while on the run.

3. I might scream if I see us backed up to our goal line while still in the shotgun one more time.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    My problem with the offense isn't play calling, it's the entire scheme. This is year 4 of this offense. Granted, under a new guy, but none the less, I have yet to see anything in 4 years that makes me think this offense is the right direction. I keep hoping I'm going to be proven differently, but every week it's the same thing. Right now we'd probably kill to have last years O, and I've seen a couple of posts wishing AA was still here. All things that were complained about non-stop during those seasons. It's amazing, but just when I think, it can't get any worse, it finds a way to.
    Yeah, basically this. Sure, we lost some key pieces from last year. That said, the offense was the weak point of our team last year as well. And the year before that. And the year before that. You have different faces every year, that is just part of college football. But we have had a bottom feeder offense for years. And I don't see any reason why I should be optimistic that things will get much better next year either. Maybe it is the scheme. Maybe it is that we don't have the athletes we need for this scheme. Whatever it is, it still isn't working. We need to find a scheme for which we can actually get the players we need to run it effectively. If we don't have that in year 4, I don't know why I should believe we ever will.

Take a look at our scoring against BCS conference opponents:

Iowa - 9
    TT - 13
    TCU - 37
    KSU - 21
    OSU - 10

Iowa - 44 (24 in regulation)
    UConn - 24
    UT - 14
    Baylor - 26
    Mizzou - 17
    aTm - 17
    Texas Tech - 41
    KU - 13
    OSU - 37 (24 in regulation)
    OU - 6
    KSU - 23
    Rutgers - 13

Iowa - 7
    KSU - 20
    Texas Tech - 52
    OU - 0
    Texas - 28
    KU - 28
    Nebby - 30 (24 in regulation)
    CU - 14
    Mizzou - 0

We have scored more than 30 in regulation against BCS foes 3 times in 3 years, twice against TT and then against TCU. That is just not going to get it done in this league, even if our D is good. It doesn't seem to be showing signs of getting any better, and it is just starting to feel like we are trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    I don't really have that much to say, as it is a problem with the offense in general, but, I do have a couple thoughts:

1. Why are we not seeing more of Jeff Woody? We are not having success throwing the ball, we might as well let him pound on opposing defenses a little.

2. Barnett is a good runner, but not a good scrambler. In that I mean, he can run with the ball, but seems to be a terrible thrower while on the run.

3. I might scream if I see us backed up to our goal line while still in the shotgun one more time.
    JB was close. Three of his touch passes were floated 1-2 yards high. He was close but no cigar. He exhibited frustration at least three times on the field.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,974
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    Some of you people

The best threads always start out with "Some of you people....."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Total Defense - NCAA.com

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/f...rent/team/1027

We have played four of the top defensive teams so far including Iowa with OU to play. We are 56.

We have played four of the top 37 offensive teams so far with four to go. KU is 89. We are 101 and almost as bad as Iowa.

On paper, we approximate Iowa.

Last edited by Wesley; 10-22-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

That is awful (in response to Aeroclone's post). Do those numbers include points scored by the defense?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 34

this starts and ends with the OC

John Walters is my hero

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    We have scored more than 30 in regulation against BCS foes 3 times in 3 years, twice against TT and then against TCU. That is just not going to get it done in this league, even if our D is good. It doesn't seem to be showing signs of getting any better, and it is just starting to feel like we are trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.
    Thanks for laying that out like that. It shows in stark terms how inadequate our offense has been, relative to our competition. You're going to lose a lot of games averaging 20-24 points per game in the Big12, you just are.

Recruit
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Insult to injury is having to watch Kansas State, Oklahoma State and others in the Big12 make it look easy.

I've been critical of Mess on this board and I will continue to do so until he gets consistency with this group. Look, we can talk about last season and all the players we had. We can look to the future and project what this group should become, but the fact of the matter is that right now this offensive unit is bad. Messingham knew what he was inheriting and he needs to figure out a scheme that this unit can execute. The o-line is suspect, the QB play hasn't been good and receivers can't block nor can they get open. (Can the real Josh Lentz please stand up) This falls at the feet of Mess and CPR to find something that works.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 364

I don't put the blame on Mess.

Like Woody said in the post game, it isn't one big thing. Go back and watch the game, you will see that the plays called for the most part were there, it's just one person not doing their job and the whole thing gets blown up. A missed block here, a holding penalty/false start there and a dropped pass there. One of these little things really screws up a play that was properly designed/called.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    I don't put the blame on Mess.

Like Woody said in the post game, it isn't one big thing. Go back and watch the game, you will see that the plays called for the most part were there, it's just one person not doing their job and the whole thing gets blown up. A missed block here, a holding penalty/false start there and a dropped pass there. One of these little things really screws up a play that was properly designed/called.
    On a happier note, we have had fewer turnovers lately. Seriously, we need the offense look like they are going to beat Baylor right out of the chute min order to demoralize them.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 80

The glaring thing this season is the absolute lack of a run game. Even with its struggles last year the offense could usually grind out some rusing yards, this year its missing that as well. Not having James White and Josh Lenz (arguable the 2 best players on offense) really hurt last week, but we have guys who have shown glimpses of being playmakers. As far as playcalling, JB looked better off of PA passes or when he was moving out of the pocket, IMO that's because Okie st respected his ability to run. I'd be just fine with him tucking the ball more and picking up yards with his feet rather than tryign to make a play with his arm. It also seems like the defense is preferring he give the ball on the read option rather than keep it, when he does get the read to keep it, he picks up yards.