Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 116

OSU X's and O's thread

Missed the game live yesterday due the start of playoff prep for Wednesday night. Interesting reading everyone's take here as far as what went wrong. Sounds like about every position group has been blamed so far. Going to see what went wrong or what went right. Not sure how far I'll get tonight, but will try to get this done in chunks throughout the week.
    OSU started off in what I think is cover 3. We were in a 2x2 wing set. Throw look with a 4-4-ish-type look for OSU. Play action and it looks like we did a vertical read on the FS. He jumped the underneath crossing route and Barnett made a perfect throw over the top for a big gain.
    2x2 once again. Double screen look. half the line is running a TB screen to the left. Half the line is running WR screen to right. 2 high look for OSU. Pretty sure the correct read was made to throw the WR screen. However there were no blitzes at all. I don't think the ball was thrown too high for Young. Looked like it went right through his hands. Very disinterested block by Horne on the cb that would have made it just a very short gain had the pass been completed anyway.
    2nd 10- 2x2 set for ISU vs 2 high look for OSU. OLB's are just outside box to make it possible to run stunts to screw up zone read. Its a front side LB read. He comes up to stop run, but a different look from last week for us is that instead of going downfield, Brun runs the bubble. Good call. Good execution for the most part. (WR block by young is poor) and Brun got 7.
    3rd and 3. OSU in 3-4 playing line games on the RB side to bust up zone read. Good call to run frontside read and even though I'm pretty sure Barnett made the wrong read, we got enough for the first down on the give on the stretch to SJ
    1st down. ISU in one of my favorite formations. ("Deuce" personnel. 2 TE, 2 WR's. Balanced formation) OSU in a 2 high look which leaves them a gap short in the run game. ISU passing. Hitch and goes and Young has his defender absolutely burned and he is overshot by Barnett who is getting hit as he throws. We are in full slide protection which is very gap sound, but I don't like the mistmatch of the RB on the DE (probably best pass rusher on team. Pressure comes from both RG spot and RB spot.
    2nd 10- 2x2 with an attached TE. OSU back in 3-4 and blitzing their OLB's, Barnett with the right read and throw out to Horne for 9. Good pickup of the blitz by all parties involved. OL picked it up and Barnett threw where the blitz came from.
    3rd 1- First time we've shown 3x1. TE is attached to the formation as a wing. OSU is begging us to throw the bubble as far back as their DB's are playing. Zone read (traditional) by Barnett and OSU has some sort of screwup on D as they have both the DL and the LB going for the handoff. Barnett with a great read of that and is off to races. Down to 1 yard line
    1st goal. Same formation. Same play for the most part (except the TE is scooping the read guy so I think it is a straight give with no read. Left side gets a pretty good push but our RG is late off the ball and gets blown up into backfield for a loss of 1.
    2nd goal- Same formation. RB flips sides at last minute and we are running speed option to the weak side. LT got to the 2nd level and pinned the LB inside which is the only guy who can make that play and Woody walks in. OSU in man to man defense so Bundrage runs the CB off and the CB never has a chance.
    2nd series starts with poor field position at our own 13. ISU back in 2x2 with attached TE. To keep their 2 high shell, OSU has walked out WLB over our #2 wr. Leaving them a gap short on the week side. Tough to take too much advantage of that in 1 back except for a qb iso. Stretch play strong and it is run down on the back side by the NG and MLB. MLB never got touched and it appears that should be the center's responsibility as he is blocking no one. Left side had the play blocked for more than the 3 it got but not blocking the best tackler on the team puts us at kind of a disadvantage.
    2nd and 7 and we are 3x1 to the field. OSU in their 3-4 with 6 guys in box. Draw play that looked like from a numbers perspective we had a chance, but the DE knifed inside the RT, and made the draw spill out to the OLB who started off the play out of the picture. Got a yard.
    3rd and 6- OSU with 4 man pressure. We are 2x2 with pretty tight splits by WR. Some sort of a smash concept and Barnett gets pressure from the LG spotm but makes the wrong read as it looked like they were in cover 4 and he read it as 2. Out route is open for a 1st but he throws the corner into double coverage.
    All I got for tonight. Will try to do more tomorrow night.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 0

Re: OSU X's and O's thread

Good job, but you need to make a new paragraph for each play IMO. It's too hard to read with no paragraphs. But very good analysis.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

series 3
    at our own 25.
    3x1 winged look. OSU in a 4-3 and is blitzing their WLB off the edge. FS is coming down into the box to replace him.
    To tell you the truth I'm not sure what ISU is trying to run. The play is blocked for a QB counter weak, but the give is to Nealy where we are not blocking at all. Possibly some sort of influence play with the pullers, or a miscommunication between skill guys and OL. Play is a disaster. Maybe a yard.
    2nd 9 Play action "whip" route to hammerschmidt. Good protection. Good execution. First down

1st- 2 back split back look in backfield. 2 WR right. 1 left. OSU playing 8 guys pretty close to LOS making this a very tough look to run from. PAP to Young on post route with no help over top for the OSU cb. Good protection. Good call. Good Execution
    1st at 23. Same formation this time except 2 WRs to left. OSU giving us run look now with 2 high and 6 in box. Shift LB to give them 7 at last second and it causes a False start on LG
    1st and 15. Flea flicker. Good call. Little pressure but that can be expected on a play like that. Barnett horribly under threw wide open WR

2nd 15. 3x1. OSU in 3-4 and is begging us to throw to 3 wr side with the way they are covering. Instead the throw is where we are 1 on 2 to the 1 WR side. Complete for a 5 yard gain, but tackled immediately.
    3rd and 10. OSU in 3-4 and brings 2 LBs off the edge. Left side. We are in slide right protection, leaving Woody to pick up both. He picks up the inside 1, but the outside guy comes free and and forces Barnett from pocket where he makes a bad decision to throw back across middle. Scheme win for OSU by a long ways. Because of the slide protection. We have 5 OL blocking 2 DL (They dropped one off in pass coverage), with woody picking up his guy, but 1 coming free off edge. Not sure if that is on OL for not recognizing front or if it is on coaches for telling them to do it that way. Either way it is not good and makes it impossible to get a good throwing look for Barnett.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Series 4 at own 25. 3x1 set. OSU in 3-4 with 2 high. Still have them outnumbered to run bubble screen to 3 WR side but haven't done it yet. I'm wondering if the 1 time we tried a WR screen earlier that the WR got owned has made them gunshy. Zone read weak where we have a good schematic advantage, and I have no idea what the RG was doing. He should be zoning with the RT up to LB, and the DE came inside RT right to him and blew up the play. Lost 5. Good call. Bad execution. This is a basic play of our offense. No idea how it gets screwed up

2nd 15. PAP that the outside LB doesn't bite on (PAP is tough vs 3-4 because the OLB doesn't have a gap with no TE) so he is right no Barnett's face as he lets it go. As he lets it go with have 3 WR within a 5 yd triangle of each other which I really hope is an issue with one of them screwing up and not a route we have. None are even remotely close to being open.

3rd 15 Down that definitely favors D. They only rush 3 and the protection is fine. Barnett eventually has to take off because no one is open (4 WR's on 8 DB's) and gets 13 of the needed 15.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Fast Forward to the 4th Q. 12:34 left and we are only down 24-10 yet it feels like a ton more than that.
    Jantz is in. I saw some claimed the OL gave up when he came in so I wanted to see if I could spot that.
    1st and 10. 2x2 set for us. OSU in 4-3 with SLB walked out to take away inside routes from #2. They are playing pass all the way it appears. 1st down and there is good protection. Woody catches the pass and it is a nice gain on first down, maybe even 10+. Jantz may have got happy feet a little early, but that pass should have been caught.
    OSU rushing 4 again on 2nd and 10. Man to man coverage with 2 high safeties. Protection is fine. Nealy's tantrum was unwarranted to be directed at Jantz. No doubt it was a bad throw. If it is a good one, Nealy gets clobbered by a LB and Safety both converging on him and we lose yards. Can't see the routes down field so no idea if anyone else is open or not. Looking at this again, it appears Nealy is directing his frustration toward the sideline and he and Jantz appear to be getting along. Wonder what this is about
    3rd and 10- OSU brings a blitz that it looks like we've got the right protection called for, but for some reason the RG after working out towards the blitz, then decides to double down on the NG and they have an extra guy putting immediate pressure on Jantz. Nealy can't hang on to outlet throw this time, but once again would have had no gain if he caught it.
    Jantz drive #2
    OSU brings some pretty sophisticated DL movement and everyone but the LT seem to pick it up forces Jantz out of pocket where he makes a money throw along the sideline.
    Paraphrasing here but boy did we get some horrible spots from the officials on 2nd and 3rd down here. Both appeared to be either a borderline first down, and if not, very close, and they still have us marked a full yard shy of the sticks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Those short spots were happening all game. Noticed that early on as well.

Great write ups. This is essentially confirming my concern that somewhere there is a communication gap that is hurting the offensive line. It's either coaches to players or quarterback to line.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post

Great write ups. This is essentially confirming my concern that somewhere there is a communication gap that is hurting the offensive line. It's either coaches to players or quarterback to line.
    I hate to be that guy, but I'm wondering if huddling up would alleviate some of those communication issues. Then pick our spots to run no huddle.

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post

After two viewings, I can definitely say that Farniok was not on the same page as his guards on a number of occasions which led to blown assignments. We had a few other moments when our pulling guys didn't get to a spot in time or inexplicably left a DL unblocked who subsequently blew up the play. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth and tends to spoil the 75% of the pass plays that had adequate to good protection. I also see a trust problem between the OL and the QBs - no good can come from that.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

First off, thanks for these write ups. Second, your analysis makes it painfully clear how close we are to scoring more. I guess that is the difference between a good offense and a bad one.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclophile1 View Post
    After two viewings, I can definitely say that Farniok was not on the same page as his guards on a number of occasions which led to blown assignments. We had a few other moments when our pulling guys didn't get to a spot in time or inexplicably left a DL unblocked who subsequently blew up the play. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth and tends to spoil the 75% of the pass plays that had adequate to good protection. I also see a trust problem between the OL and the QBs - no good can come from that.
    Saw this too and have seen it most of the season. You would think that the center is calling the protections and blocking correctly but Farniok has had his moments this season where he clearly blocked the wrong play. Not sure where this is coming from but I think this is THE biggest issue on the line and not necessarily talent (although there is some of that).

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by blizzisu View Post
    First off, thanks for these write ups. Second, your analysis makes it painfully clear how close we are to scoring more. I guess that is the difference between a good offense and a bad one.
    Entire offense has to be on the same page. That's what makes football the greatest team sport on the planet. Offensive personnel can be doing the right thing and executing at a high level 90+% of the time and you don't score a point.