Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 30

Zion National Park

My wife and I just found out last minute that we have access to a free place to stay in St. George, Utah over the weekend. We are planning on spending some time in Zion National Park & I was wondering from others who have been there if there is anything that we should be sure not to miss.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 367

Re: Zion National Park

Quote Originally Posted by shagcarpetjesus View Post
    My wife and I just found out last minute that we have access to a free place to stay in St. George, Utah over the weekend. We are planning on spending some time in Zion National Park & I was wondering from others who have been there if there is anything that we should be sure not to miss.

Given your limited time, I assume you are not into canyoneering or backcountry? Angel's Landing and the Narrows are probably the most popular hikes/sights. Easy to do both plus a small hike like Emerald Pools in one day. Observation Pt trail offers the best view imo. Some may say you should rent water boots ($20 for a day) for the Narrows hike, but I have found an old pair of running shoes to be fine. Link to one of the rental outfitters: Narrows Footwear Packages

Until November you must park at the Visitor Center and take the shuttle.

Prospect
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

If you are up for some physical activity - contact Zion Adventure Company. They have one day canyoneering classes.
    They will take you out to areas around Zion and show you how to tie knots and how to repell. I did this several years ago and it was a great adventure. Guides are not allowed inside the national park. Zion Adventure Company will also rent out wetsuits and appropriate footware to hike the Narrows in November. Rent the gear the day before you plan to hike the narrows. Then start very early the morning you will be doing the hike. Since it is November and the days will be shorter, you wont be able to hike as far up canyon as in the summer. The water will be cold (thats why you need to rent the gear from Zion Adventure Company). I would plan a full day for the Narrows hike. Make sure you have real water proof bags to store your snacks and cameras etc in. You will get wet. The Narrows is absolutely the biggest must do when at Zion. The second on the list is to hike to Angels Landing. There is alot of exposure on this hike. If it is at all wet wait till it is dry. This is another memorable hike that you will talk about for a long time. The third and final must do (in my book) is to hike the subway from the bottom up to the Subway and back to the start (about 9 miles). To do this you will need to get a backcountry permit. Go to the visitor center immediatly when you arrive and ask how you can obtain the permit to hike to the Subway from the bottom. It might take a couple days to obtain the permit. If you are lucky enough to get a permit and do the hike you will remember the canyon for a long time.

If you want to escape to a lesser visited part of the park drive over to the Kolob Canyon section. If I remember correctly, the Taylor Creek trail takes you to Double Arch Alcove. A nice hike that will have only a couple other hikers on it.

Since your at Zion, Bryce Canyon is only an hour drive away and is very worthwhile to visit.

The small town of Springdale is located just outside of Zion. One of my favorite pizza places (because of the view from the back patio) is Zion Pizza and Noodle. They also served lots of microbrews. When I was last there (over 10 years ago) there was a photo studio across the hallway - I believe it is called Fatali. Incredible photos. Some of the best I have seen.

Hope this helps.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    The small town of Springdale is located just outside of Zion. One of my favorite pizza places (because of the view from the back patio) is Zion Pizza and Noodle. They also served lots of microbrews. When I was last there (over 10 years ago) there was a photo studio across the hallway - I believe it is called Fatali. Incredible photos. Some of the best I have seen.

Hope this helps.
    The studio/gallary is downstairs, across the hall is a small gear store. The pizza there is okay if you like sweet crust, (and not many other options). Also remember on tap beer in Utah is weak.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 30

I absolutely want to do the Narrows some day, but it probably won't be this weekend. I've got a couple of buddies who are interested in doing the 16 mile top-down Narrows hike & we are talking about trying to tackle that sometime next summer. My wife isn't particularly outdoorsy & wasn't too thrilled about the idea of wading (possibly swimming) for stretches in the Narrows. She's a pretty good photographer so we'd probably be most interested in spots in the park that have particularly scenic views. Thanks for the suggestions on Angel's Landing and Observation Pt.

We are toying with the thought of doing a half-day horseback ride. This is becoming a pseudo-anniversary celebration trip and on our honeymoon we did a ride in the mountains between Napa and Sonoma Valleys. We certainly enjoyed the wine, but that ride was one of our favorite moments of the trip. She actually likes horses and this might be a fun way to enjoy part of the day(s) in the park.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by shagcarpetjesus View Post
    I absolutely want to do the Narrows some day, but it probably won't be this weekend. I've got a couple of buddies who are interested in doing the 16 mile top-down Narrows hike & we are talking about trying to tackle that sometime next summer. My wife isn't particularly outdoorsy & wasn't too thrilled about the idea of wading (possibly swimming) for stretches in the Narrows. She's a pretty good photographer so we'd probably be most interested in spots in the park that have particularly scenic views. Thanks for the suggestions on Angel's Landing and Observation Pt.

We are toying with the thought of doing a half-day horseback ride. This is becoming a pseudo-anniversary celebration trip and on our honeymoon we did a ride in the mountains between Napa and Sonoma Valleys. We certainly enjoyed the wine, but that ride was one of our favorite moments of the trip. She actually likes horses and this might be a fun way to enjoy part of the day(s) in the park.
    Top-down is the way to do the Narrows. The bottom part is like a highway (a non-outdoorsy wife may like it), and kind of boring imo.
    The West Rim trail (which you would baically already be on if you hiked up to Angel's Landing) also has good views, and is easier for those that do not handle heights well.

Riding sounds like a good time. Supposedly Zion has good outfitters outside of the park boundaries, but still in the same landscape.

Recruit
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I went on a guy's golf trip to St. George several years back. We played in the morning and went four wheeling that afternoon. it was sand dunes and if was fantastic. I would high highly recommended it.
    I would also recommend you consider the ampitheater in town if they have anything playing while you are in town. I have taken my wife there several times and it has been great. Mountains are the backdrop, it is gorgeous.