Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

Managing expectations

I think that our eyes our a little bit bigger than our stomach here. I understand that fans expect to win every game but with the talent on this team compared to what else is going on in the big 12 doesn't shock me. I hate to point this out but look at the players on this roster. These guys simply can not compete in the big 12 week in and week out. And please dont give me the line about knott and klein. Sure they were unexpected surprises when they were recruited but even a blind squirrel finds a nut. ( hate that analogy but whatever) take off the isu blinders for a second here and think about this. Sure cpr has changed the culture around here but he has recruited less than average players which has correlated to below average play on the field.

My next point is the decision to hire messingham cpr had to know that it was going to take some time to groom mess. My question is why the heck is this guy an OC in the big 12 this guy produced nothing as wide receiver coach. Look around there is mediocracy all over this program from the facilities, to the coaches and than finally on the field. Until i start seeing prime time coaches and players rolling up i will expect nothing more than 5-7 and 6-6 seasons

in the laaaaab

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 809

Re: Managing expectations

Some good points. I know I was in line for thinking a 5-6 win season when the year started.
    I think where a great deal of the frustration for me comes from is I see moments (some times brief) where this team looks like they could hang with anyone in the nation. And then the very next moment we break down on some of the most fundamental aspects of the game.
    Now I'm not saying we win 12 games be executing perfectly but I know we'd end the year with at least 3 more wins that what we have been getting.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 4

???? I just wanted to see improvement this year. Our coach has consistently gotten to that 6 win "plateau," now I was hoping the see him get to 7 wins at a minimum. This is a good D and the O can't find the light switch. That has happened a lot at ISU it seems....except I can't remember the last time ISU had an amped up O that put points on the board for more than one game.

Expectations are fine. The O isn't. I will consider a 6 win season a disappointing even with this schedule.

Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I would guess and its strictly a guess that the reason that Mess and I mean he is a real Mess rite now, is our OC is because: WE simply canNOT AFFORD a legitimate big time Offensive Coordinator.

Iowa State fans need to get used to losing more games than winning them, and I can tell you that it never is fun to LOSE football games because in my lifetime ISU has had a handful of seasons where the football was worth the price of the tickets.

SAD but TRUE...

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 553
    Given: 115

Coming into the season I think I would have been pretty happy to be sitting at 4-3 frankly. It's a very tough league and we just haven't busted through from a talent standpoint.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 884
    Given: 423

With how good our defense is, its criminal to expect less. Even a mediocre offensive performance would have us with 1-2 more wins right now. The fact is, for 4 years we've had **** poor offense, and have seen little improvement in that area. I think people should expect more than that. And yes, it is definitely a fair question to ask why we promoted a coach from within that poor-performing offense when we had an opening.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Week in Week out in Big 12 is brutal - but I was thinking this could be a special year if we got above average QB play. I was hoping we'd win 3 of 5 or maybe 4 of 5 in the first five game conference stretch of Tech, TCU, K St, OK St and Baylor. Now we have to beat Baylor to avoid 1 and 4 in this stretch. I still feel we can get to 7 wins though. Baylor, KU and WV

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 321
    Given: 178

Really? I remember during the Mac years always being told it was the fans. The fact we weren't selling out, giving enough money etc. Well, as I said then, the fans are doing their part, we are improving. Now, with all we've been sold we are just supposed to realize we aren't that good and not to expect to much? I don't want to get into a possing match about who is at fault or why the fans need to expect this or that. What worries me is losing this roll we are on. Say what you want about fans expecting too much. At some point though, we are either going to start winning more than 5 or 6 games a year or things will start drifting off.

Stay at 5 and 6 , well still have fans, but this roll we are on can get stopped real fast if we don't do more than crummy bowl #10 vs a mid major. What sucks is I have no solution. All I know is that I'm getting scared the old ISU mentality is creeping it's way back. We need a win next week to stop the bleeding.

Rookie
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 10

See attached picture; it will tell you everything you need to know about what is happening. Expecations and Hope are open to interpretation.

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 97

Quote Originally Posted by cymate View Post
    I think that our eyes our a little bit bigger than our stomach here. I understand that fans expect to win every game but with the talent on this team compared to what else is going on in the big 12 doesn't shock me. I hate to point this out but look at the players on this roster. These guys simply can not compete in the big 12 week in and week out. And please dont give me the line about knott and klein. Sure they were unexpected surprises when they were recruited but even a blind squirrel finds a nut. ( hate that analogy but whatever) take off the isu blinders for a second here and think about this. Sure cpr has changed the culture around here but he has recruited less than average players which has correlated to below average play on the field.

My next point is the decision to hire messingham cpr had to know that it was going to take some time to groom mess. My question is why the heck is this guy an OC in the big 12 this guy produced nothing as wide receiver coach. Look around there is mediocracy all over this program from the facilities, to the coaches and than finally on the field. Until i start seeing prime time coaches and players rolling up i will expect nothing more than 5-7 and 6-6 seasons
    I disagree completely! I've seen ISU and Big 8/12 teams for decades, and we are closer to having comparable talent than we have been in many years. Our defense holds opponents well under their scoring average every, or almost every game, and that's with the offense not holding their own and giving opposing offenses way too many chances.

IMO, Steele shouldn't have been benched at all. JB simply doesn't have the arm strength or accuracy to play at this level. While Steele does make more mistakes, he also presents us with a much better chance to put up points, a necessity in this league. He is more mobile, can throw better on the run, has a stronger arm, and can target and hit open receivers when he does scramble. Steele may occasionally throw an errant pass, but even when he does he misses the mark by a few feet. JB consistently misses by literally yards!

I somewhat agree with your assessment of Coach Mess, tho. He is in his first year at OC, and there will be growing pains, but there seems to be a lack of consistency in his play calling. We have playmakers at every skill position, the problem is, even when we figure out how to get them the ball, some of those plays seem to go on the back burner. I also think we need more variations and unpredictability. Not necessarily trick plays, but mixing it up some more. There is a much better chance for success when defenses have to react, rather than letting the D dictate what we do. Again, I think Steele is better equipped to do this.

Other than yesterday, when JB was abysmal, and we waited way too long to replace him, we've been in every game, even against KState, who is proving to be the cream of the big 12 and a legitimate contender for the national championship. We can't win games without threats to score or move the ball EVERY TIME WE HAVE THE BALL! JB doesn't provide that threat on a consistent basis, and thus severely handicaps our offense. Plus we can't keep the D on the field 75% of every game and expect positive results all the time!

As to your comments about facilities and coaching, they are so far off base, they really don't dignify a response. I will say simply that, if you ask people with much more knowledge on the subjects than you, (or myself, for that matter), you'll find that athletes, other coaches, and people who cover college football professionally, will tell you otherwise.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!!

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 962
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 43

absolutely. the big 12 is brutally tough this year and the past year or two. Our talent level has continued to rise, and I think we are best in year 4. I think we take a half step back next season, but still be in contention for a bowl game.

Best of all, I must be in the minority here for thinking this team can STILL win 7 regular season games. Yes 7. Win vs Baylor, @KU and upset WVU on senior day

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 904
    Given: 107

As an outside observer, I find it interesting that the first couple of drives of every ISU game I've seen the offense looks great. After that though the offense has been terrible. It seems that ISU is able to come up with a good gameplan to beat the defense they are going against but once that defense adjusts ISU has no countermove.