Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,023
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

If he's smart, Mangino should be looking...

This is a watershed year for Mangino, with an easy schedule and the stars lining up, he should parlay his wins into another job. Reason, the schedule get's really tough next season. This season (as it's been highlighted on another thread) he did not have the meat of the Big 12 schedule. No Texas, T Tech or Oklahoma. Next year he gets all three, plus South Florida who they counted as a cupcake when scheduled.
    Here's who's on the schedule:
    Probable losses:
    at South Florida
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Texas Tech

Tough games:
    at Nebraska
    at Iowa State
    at Mizzou
    CU
    K State

Cupcakes:
    Florida Int
    Louis. Tech
    Sam Houston State

The way I read it, he's set up for the potential of a losing season. With expectations high, he will not have fun. Reminds me of Mac after the 9-3 season, and what happened.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: If he's smart, Mangino should be looking...

He should be looking to mix in a salad.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 521

Are you going to be making that same argument about Chizik 3 years from now when Texas, Oklahoma, and TT roll back to our schedule? That Chizik should pack bags and leave because the schedule gets tough again?

Looking at it objectively, if Mangino is smart he sticks around and finds out what kind of team he really has next year against the tough schedule. The reason is no matter where he ends up he's going to run into a tough schedule. What are you going to do? Tuck tail and run every time the schedule gets tough?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

mangino needs some surgery on his gastointestinal tract to slow down his craving for 10 wendys or 10 mcadonald hamburgers for lunch. he won't need to move when he goes undefeated this year. the jaysquawks will give him a very fat salary program to keep him at jaysquawk uiniversity. the only thing that can slow his fat salary requirements is if the cyclones upset his apple cart this coming weekend. go cyclones!!!!!!!!!!!!! beat the jay squawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doc

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by woodie View Post
    mangino needs some surgery on his gastointestinal tract to slow down his craving for 10 wendys or 10 mcadonald hamburgers for lunch. he won't need to move when he goes undefeated this year. the jaysquawks will give him a very fat salary program to keep him at jaysquawk uiniversity. the only thing that can slow his fat salary requirements is if the cyclones upset his apple cart this coming weekend. go cyclones!!!!!!!!!!!!! beat the jay squawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yay negative rep buddies!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,023
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Are you going to be making that same argument about Chizik 3 years from now when Texas, Oklahoma, and TT roll back to our schedule? That Chizik should pack bags and leave because the schedule gets tough again?

Looking at it objectively, if Mangino is smart he sticks around and finds out what kind of team he really has next year against the tough schedule. The reason is no matter where he ends up he's going to run into a tough schedule. What are you going to do? Tuck tail and run every time the schedule gets tough?
    I think it might be a different case at other schools. First KU is and will always be a basketball school. With an undefeated season, they are only drawing around 45,000 per game. That will change next season if losses come, and they will back in the tank for fans.
    And secondly, Manginos market value is tops right now. He has charisma, a winning season after a number of .500 ones, and the outlook is best right now. So my point, if he can find a football school to to to, this is his time. If he's happy to stay at KU, more power to him. I like him, he an interesting character and a good coach. If he goes in the tank next season, no so sure fans will give him his just desserts.(is that a bad pun?)

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Seriously, Mangino needs to lose some weight. What good is success if you are playing your own personal game of Russian Roulette with your dinner plate?

I've been fat, and decided I wanted to live a little longer and enjoy my life. I really like what Mangino has done at Kansas, and I'm torn about wanting KU to go on and win it all, and wanting my beloved Clones to kick their Jayhawk *sses this weekend.

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

Will his schedule really be any harder next year?? If he beats us and Missouri, he'll probably be playing OU in the title game this year. I think you could make the argument he's already better than Texas Tech and on par with Texas. Maybe, just maybe, the southern schools should be the ones worrying about KU coming on the schedule instead of the other way around. As far as his out of conference schedule, I don't know how senior dominated South Florida is, but will they be as good next year??

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p928725649

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

I agree WW...maybe KU is actually that good. Counting losses to some of these teams next year is crazy. They return all but one or 2 guys on defense and most of the weapons on offense are back.

I'll bet if in the next two seasons ISU has a season close to what KU is, ISU fans won't be wanting to tack asterisks onto it or looking to a tougher schedule and stating we won't be as good then.