Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 0

Rhoads' recruiting

The more and more I think about Paul Rhoads and his recruiting, the more trustworthy I become.

Early on this recruiting season, I, along with numerous others on here, were questioning why we started off so slowly and why we were getting commits from so many guys that didn't even have stars?

I officially am no longer concerned whatsoever about stars in recruiting. I could give you a VERY long list of schools that get MUCH better recruiting classes than ISU, at least in terms of "stars" anyway, that ISU is ahead of in the rankings.

The best example, and most appropriate too, would be Auburn. They are flat out terrible. But go back and look at their past several recruiting classes. They were loaded with 4 and 5 star kids. Of course the anomoly was Cam Newton, he was special and was able to carry them by himself to a National Title, but most recruits aren't of that caliber.

But the fact is, there are a lot of teams loaded with 4 and 5 star talent that are worse football teams than ISU. And here's why....

Rhoads could care less how many "stars" are next to a kid's name. He recruits not only on the talent he sees on film and in person, but then he also meets with these kids and their parents and finds out what kind of kids they are? Rhoads is looking for extremely hard workers that will take to coaching. He'd much rather have a 1 star kid that shows some potential athletically, but more importantly gives it his all on every play and wants to be coached to get better.

Rhoads has a team full of guys that are "All In" all the time. They play with passion and they play with desire to get better each and every play. I will take that every time over a 5 star kid who thinks he knows it all, won't listen to coaching, doesn't get along well with teammates, and doesn't think he even needs to try in order to win or get to the NFL.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 193

Re: Rhoads' recruiting

2/10 would not read again

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by WhatchaGonnaDo View Post
    2/10 would not read again
    So you didn't read it at all?

===

I agree that our coaches are looking for the work ethic as well as athletic talent.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm sure Rhoads is rhelieved.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    The more and more I think about Paul Rhoads and his recruiting, the more trustworthy I become.

Early on this recruiting season, I, along with numerous others on here, were questioning why we started off so slowly and why we were getting commits from so many guys that didn't even have stars?

I officially am no longer concerned whatsoever about stars in recruiting. I could give you a VERY long list of schools that get MUCH better recruiting classes than ISU, at least in terms of "stars" anyway, that ISU is ahead of in the rankings.

The best example, and most appropriate too, would be Auburn. They are flat out terrible. But go back and look at their past several recruiting classes. They were loaded with 4 and 5 star kids. Of course the anomoly was Cam Newton, he was special and was able to carry them by himself to a National Title, but most recruits aren't of that caliber.

But the fact is, there are a lot of teams loaded with 4 and 5 star talent that are worse football teams than ISU. And here's why....

Rhoads could care less how many "stars" are next to a kid's name. He recruits not only on the talent he sees on film and in person, but then he also meets with these kids and their parents and finds out what kind of kids they are? Rhoads is looking for extremely hard workers that will take to coaching. He'd much rather have a 1 star kid that shows some potential athletically, but more importantly gives it his all on every play and wants to be coached to get better.

Rhoads has a team full of guys that are "All In" all the time. They play with passion and they play with desire to get better each and every play. I will take that every time over a 5 star kid who thinks he knows it all, won't listen to coaching, doesn't get along well with teammates, and doesn't think he even needs to try in order to win or get to the NFL.
    kind of all how you look at it. it isn't like he isn't recruiting some "big fish" he just isn't getting any of them. all you really can do as a fan is trust what the coaches are doing. there really isn't another choice. eventually we will have to start landing some of the bigger fish to reach the next level. if we don't, i think we will stay right where we are. being middle/lower pack with a big win here and there and crossing our fingers for a bowl game.

there are a lot of times when stars don't matter (see knott), but there are also a lot of times when they do. there is a reason bama is at or near the top every year. great coaching WITH great recruits. but, as mentioned coaching is just as important as landing the best recruits.

great coaches with great recruits hang out in the top ten-oregon, oklahoma, LSU bama
    average coaches with great recruits sniff the top ten when they get a phenomenal QB see texas
    poor coaches with great recruits sniff success and then get fired-chiz's future

and then you have teams like ours. "poor" recruits based on what experts have to say who are coached up to max potential. k-state and boise st are even better models IMO. imagine if sneaky snyder could pull in top 5 recruiting classes periodically. that dude squeezes every drop of potential out of his players. they only have 6 commits right now btw

the stars debate gets discussed ad nauseam. you can get pretty far with diamonds in the rough, but you're likely not going to get to the top unless you eventually get a few big fish or that once in a lifetime QB.

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

I agree for the most part and I think he does a great job of recruiting the right players. But as far as "stars" or big time recruits. You don't need a class of 4 & 5 stars to be successful. But I think you need a couple homeruns to go with the singles and doubles to use a baseball analogy. Helps to have a bunch of hardworking lineman 2 and 3 stars blocking for a stud 5 star elite RB.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,953
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    kind of all how you look at it. it isn't like he isn't recruiting some "big fish" he just isn't getting any of them. all you really can do as a fan is trust what the coaches are doing. there really isn't another choice. eventually we will have to start landing some of the bigger fish to reach the next level. if we don't, i think we will stay right where we are. being middle/lower pack with a big win here and there and crossing our fingers for a bowl game.

there are a lot of times when stars don't matter (see knott), but there are also a lot of times when they do. there is a reason bama is at or near the top every year. great coaching WITH great recruits. but, as mentioned coaching is just as important as landing the best recruits.

great coaches with great recruits hang out in the top ten-oregon, oklahoma, LSU bama
    average coaches with great recruits sniff the top ten when they get a phenomenal QB see texas
    poor coaches with great recruits sniff success and then get fired-chiz's future

and then you have teams like ours. "poor" recruits based on what experts have to say who are coached up to max potential. k-state and boise st are even better models IMO. imagine if sneaky snyder could pull in top 5 recruiting classes periodically. that dude squeezes every drop of potential out of his players. they only have 6 commits right now btw

the stars debate gets discussed ad nauseam. you can get pretty far with diamonds in the rough, but you're likely not going to get to the top unless you eventually get a few big fish or that once in a lifetime QB.
    I think you are spot on here.

I wonder at times if the top recruits are sometimes harder to coach over all. Talent is one thing and you can get by with that in college at times. I wonder if Rhoads' strategy also has him looking at the hard workers. Find that kid with good ability or average, but who is willing to put the time in and work to get better. I think this is where Snyder excels. I would love to get recruits who are already polished and just reload, but lets face it, without a string of seasons competing for a National Championship, that's not going to happen at ISU. Heck, KSU is a perfect example of how quickly a team can fall, even when they were competing for conference championships and top 15 seasons. I think a big part of our success is Rhoads finding those kids who are football players and are then willing to work to become the best at what they do.

As you said though, we don't need a team of all stars, but really, to get to that top level we are going to need a couple of players who come in and are already at the top level. If we had a QB this year, who was exceptionally talented, there is no telling where'd we be right now. I think those major skill positions can only be coached up so far. There is a reason they are called skill positions.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I am sorry but none of these recruiting classes make me want to trust you.

Last edited by IowaStateClones; 10-20-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 14

I think its the only smart strategy that will work at ISU. There are only, what, 25 5* guys and 100-200 4* guys each year? That is not very many and the ones that we could recruit to ISU will likely have reasons why they don't have 20-30 offers that we would have to compete with such as academic problems, discipline, or work ethic. These guys often don't do much of anything in college. Meanwhile, there are thousands and thousands of high school football athletes that are 3* or under. If you can do a good job of evaluating talent, strengthening, work hard, and be able to be coached you can build a Big XII caliber depth at ISU. Then when your program starts winning mix in a couple of highly recruited prospects at key positions and you are good to go.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 14

Nick Saban could coach us and we still wouldnt get 5 star out of state players to come here. Our path too success requires great coaching and developing the guys we can get. So for I'd say the only part of the team of team thats lacking is the passing attack and maybe fg kicker.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy