Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 107,857, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,949
    Points
    107,857
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 139

    Does anyone use Google Play?

    I've been a long-time user of iTunes. I like the interface and also the simplicity of syncing with my iPhone. I do find it irritating, however, that a couple times a year iTunes seems to lose my library file. Usually when this happens it searches my hard drives for my music again and makes additional copies and puts them in the iTunes media file. Then I find that I have about four copies of every song and I have to go through and clean it up. Royal pain in the ***. Maybe it's just time I moved on.

    My wife just got a Galaxy S3 and I'm thinking of switching back to Android as well when my contract is up this spring. Since Android is pretty Google-centric maybe now is the time.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 644,398, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,607
    Points
    644,398
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,318
    Given: 125

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    Foobar



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 172,305, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,982
    Points
    172,305
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I've been a long-time user of iTunes. I like the interface and also the simplicity of syncing with my iPhone. I do find it irritating, however, that a couple times a year iTunes seems to lose my library file. Usually when this happens it searches my hard drives for my music again and makes additional copies and puts them in the iTunes media file. Then I find that I have about four copies of every song and I have to go through and clean it up. Royal pain in the ***. Maybe it's just time I moved on.

    My wife just got a Galaxy S3 and I'm thinking of switching back to Android as well when my contract is up this spring. Since Android is pretty Google-centric maybe now is the time.
    I use Google Music on my android phone and haven't had any problems. I had the same problem you described with iTunes, which is why I eventually stopped using it.




  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 404,747, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,069
    Points
    404,747
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    ... everyone who has an android phone?



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 38,807, Level: 60
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    AllBig12Drinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    700
    Points
    38,807
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    I do and I really like it but there are a couple of draw backs. Not all my music from iTunes went through to Google Play (stuff I got off of other people's computers). And I've noticed there isn't nearly as much music to choose from in the store. If I recall, Google is supposed to automatically add your new music you get in iTunes but I haven't verified it yet.
    A couple things I really like about Google Play, all my music (playlists included) is in the cloud so if my phone breaks, computer crashes, no worries.
    I also like that you don't have to load all the music on your phone and take up storage (even though I have plenty).



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 107,857, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,949
    Points
    107,857
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 139

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    Quote Originally Posted by AllBig12Drinker View Post
    I do and I really like it but there are a couple of draw backs. Not all my music from iTunes went through to Google Play (stuff I got off of other people's computers). And I've noticed there isn't nearly as much music to choose from in the store. If I recall, Google is supposed to automatically add your new music you get in iTunes but I haven't verified it yet.
    A couple things I really like about Google Play, all my music (playlists included) is in the cloud so if my phone breaks, computer crashes, no worries.
    I also like that you don't have to load all the music on your phone and take up storage (even though I have plenty).
    Can you load music onto your phone with Google Play (like if you don't want to use your data plan) or do you have to use another application to do that?



  7. #7
    Swarm & Punish
    Points: 282,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    keepngoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,379
    Points
    282,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 461

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    What are the steps in migrating iTunes music to Google play?



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 172,305, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,982
    Points
    172,305
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    Can you load music onto your phone with Google Play (like if you don't want to use your data plan) or do you have to use another application to do that?
    Yes, you can download your personal google music from the cloud to your android device at any time. It would not use your data if you did it while on a wifi network.




  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 172,305, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,982
    Points
    172,305
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    What are the steps in migrating iTunes music to Google play?
    How to Transfer Your iTunes Library to an Android Device | CIO Blogs




  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 21,369, Level: 44
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    515 via 712
    Posts
    968
    Points
    21,369
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    What are the steps in migrating iTunes music to Google play?
    How to Transfer iTunes Music to Google Play?



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 56,861, Level: 73
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,880
    Points
    56,861
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 15

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Yes, you can download your personal google music from the cloud to your android device at any time. It would not use your data if you did it while on a wifi network.
    Any way to do it direct with a USB connection? Or do you have to go iTunes->Cloud->Device?

    Sorry if that's a dumb question..



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 107,857, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,949
    Points
    107,857
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 139

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Yes, you can download your personal google music from the cloud to your android device at any time. It would not use your data if you did it while on a wifi network.
    Ah cool, that makes sense.

    I had an Android phone a couple years ago and used Doubletwist with Airsync. Is that still around?



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 107,857, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,949
    Points
    107,857
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 139

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    Quote Originally Posted by TitanClone View Post
    I've upgraded all of my music to iTunes Plus so no DRM. At least I don't have to go over that hurdle.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 172,305, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,982
    Points
    172,305
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneGB View Post
    Any way to do it direct with a USB connection? Or do you have to go iTunes->Cloud->Device?

    Sorry if that's a dumb question..
    Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. You can transfer music directly to most phone's microSD storage at any time with a microUSB cable. You'd be able to play any music that is on your device using google music regardless if it's also been uploaded to the cloud or not (I think).




  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 38,807, Level: 60
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    AllBig12Drinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    700
    Points
    38,807
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

    Re: Does anyone use Google Play?

    I believe you can. Transfer music files to or from your computer via USB - Google Play Help

    But as was mentioned earlier, you can just hook into your wifi so you don't get charged "over the air".



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM