Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

McCarney is Called out in Iowa State Daily

Caught these two letters to the editor in the Iowa State Daily while scarfing down my daily intake of Frosted Flakes:

Fourth Quarter Offense Plays it too Conservatively

ISU Football Not Consistent With Pollard's Ideals

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Hopefully Mac is keeping his tricks under wraps for future games.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 97
    Those two letters were probably from the same idiots that called in to Jon Miller's show Friday making us Cyclone fans look like a bunch of immature crybaby Pukeye fan wannabee's. If I hear the same drooling drivel at this weeks game, I will call them on it.

Give me a break

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    The thing I used to like about being an ISU fan was watching the EIU pukes hopping back and forth all over the place every time something goes a little bad and questioning every call the coach makes. So why do we need to start being like that? Can't we just fully support the guy until he fails? He is 1-0 and there is a large segment of Cyclone Nation that treats him like he went 2-10 this year.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 9

Those 2 articles we're obviously uneducated fans

I read the Daily this morning and wanted to punch a hole through it when i read those two opinion articles. Not sure how those two guys can call themselves football fans. The article to Pollard was downright ******** and the other guy mentioned something about us having one of the best defenses in the conference. Maybe he wasn't aware that we lost over half our starters?

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Well, I posted these two letters to the editor because I think one of them is right, but I also thought it was interesting that the Iowa State Daily is being so aggressive towards D-Mac. I thought the headline come Friday morning would be "Monkey Off Their Back", but instead was "Too Close For Comfort".

You can go on about how we're 1-0 and not 0-1, but you can't lie and say that you weren't about to have a panic attack in the stadium, and thinking that ISU could very well start their season out with a losing record. Even I had to yell out as the final seconds ticked at the end of the 4th quarter, "Oh God, here we go again!"

I have to give the team credit for slogging through 3 OTs, even after a morale reducing TD strike that Toledo delivered right after we scored our first TD of OT. Something has to change though, because, as evidenced last year, we can't keep "trying" to hold on to the football in the 4th quarter and "winding" the clock down. Teams win by establishing a two-three score lead, and THEN running the clock down, not by getting ahead by a FG or a TD and hoping your defense comes through.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 97
    Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    You can go on about how we're 1-0 and not 0-1, but you can't lie and say that you weren't about to have a panic attack in the stadium, and thinking that ISU could very well start their season out with a losing record. Even I had to yell out as the final seconds ticked at the end of the 4th quarter, "Oh God, here we go again!"

I have to give the team credit for slogging through 3 OTs, even after a morale reducing TD strike that Toledo delivered right after we scored our first TD of OT. Something has to change though, because, as evidenced last year, we can't keep "trying" to hold on to the football in the 4th quarter and "winding" the clock down. Teams win by establishing a two-three score lead, and THEN running the clock down, not by getting ahead by a FG or a TD and hoping your defense comes through.
    Look at last year and the improvement we made between N Illinois and playing the next BCS Champion EIU. It's the first game of the season and why some people expect a defense and coaching staff to be in tip-top midseason condition the first time they start for ISU or as a group for that matter is beyond me.

Let's get a few more games under our belt before we talk about screwed up coaching strategies or misguided linebackers or secondary. I am not saying I wasn't frustrated Thursday night with some of the events that happened(just so you people who think I might be a "everything is great" fan), but you know what??????? Those players learned a mountain load during that game and I will bet the UNLV will show us a totally different team then we saw last game. I think this team has a lot to prove and I don't think we will be disappointed.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I agree with most of those opinions, I've never been a MaCarney fan and feel that if we continue on with him we are accepting mediocrity. I've have felt that way years....

A good coach will capitalize on good players and if a player the caliber of Blythe has to beg the coach on the sidelines to get the frickin' ball thrown to him. THAT'S A PROBLEM!!!

Recruit
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Why not ask for more!

I'm proud as hell that we took a victory out of that game, but I think those two articles are just an echo of nearly all Cyclone fans thoughts about the game.

For God sake, in the fourth quarter, with an offense like ours, we've gotta play to win rather than playing not to lose. We've seen this for the last few years and until the fans start putting their foot down and demanding that killer attitude down the stretch, we will continue to settle for mediocre seasons.

In an era of the spread offense and quick scores, the traditional methods of running the clock down only work if your are up by multiple touchdowns.

Just my two cents based on my observation of the Toledo game, realistically worth about as much as a plugged nickel.

Go State!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 23
    I'm not really sure where these guys are coming from. We beat a team that won 9 games last year, blew their bowl opponent out of the water, and returned 16 starters. Why *****?

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    Look at last year and the improvement we made between N Illinois and playing the next BCS Champion EIU. It's the first game of the season and why some people expect a defense and coaching staff to be in tip-top midseason condition the first time they start for ISU or as a group for that matter is beyond me.

Let's get a few more games under our belt before we talk about screwed up coaching strategies or misguided linebackers or secondary. I am not saying I wasn't frustrated Thursday night with some of the events that happened(just so you people who think I might be a "everything is great" fan), but you know what??????? Those players learned a mountain load during that game and I will bet the UNLV will show us a totally different team then we saw last game. I think this team has a lot to prove and I don't think we will be disappointed.
    I'm aware of the win versus Iowa, but have you forgotten about all the other games? I have full faith that we'll hand it to UNLV; but I'm referencing to other games last year where we blew a 4th quarter lead so we could bring the game to OT. Those are the situations that gave us a 7-5 record last year instead of realistically running the table.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Recruit
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    We need to stop ******** and support thr team. It is way too early to asess anything. If we finish 2-10, then that is the time to complain. We have been making good strides and there were a lot of positives from that game. The coaches know more than we do. I am sure Pollard will do the right thing at the end of the season. Go Cyclones!!!

"Skin it: Skin that smokewagon and see what happens!"

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,005
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    I personally like the general support being given in this thread. People with common sense - WOW! Anyway, what is the standard now for our team? It must be perfection on every single play every quarter every game. I don't know how Iowa State University got to this point that it's fans are so out of line. Was Florida State perfect Monday night? Was Notre Dame perfect Saturday night? Was Colorado and the saviour Dan Hawkins perfect? Personally I expect to see a competitive Division 1 team in Ames and with that I'll take a few 6-5's some 7,8 win seasons and hopefully some breakthrough years. Then, once we do that for more than 5 times in the last CENTURY I'll start to ask for more. If I'm an OU fan and I watch Paul Thompson as my quarterback then I've got something to question. People need to chill out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kberyldial View Post
    I personally like the general support being given in this thread. People with common sense - WOW! Anyway, what is the standard now for our team? It must be perfection on every single play every quarter every game. I don't know how Iowa State University got to this point that it's fans are so out of line. Was Florida State perfect Monday night? Was Notre Dame perfect Saturday night? Was Colorado and the saviour Dan Hawkins perfect? Personally I expect to see a competitive Division 1 team in Ames and with that I'll take a few 6-5's some 7,8 win seasons and hopefully some breakthrough years. Then, once we do that for more than 5 times in the last CENTURY I'll start to ask for more. If I'm an OU fan and I watch Paul Thompson as my quarterback then I've got something to question. People need to chill out.
    Thank you for being the voice of reason. Unfortunately, success breeds high (often unrealistic) expectations. The coaching staff and players did their best and won a hard-fought game. Both teams played well and we won in the end. We will continue to improve and win games. Enjoy it, everyone!

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonekj View Post
    Thank you for being the voice of reason. Unfortunately, success breeds high (often unrealistic) expectations. The coaching staff and players did their best and won a hard-fought game. Both teams played well and we won in the end. We will continue to improve and win games. Enjoy it, everyone!

it is unfortunate that some cannot just "enjoy" the vistory...as I told another poster yesterday....Are we on the path to truly becoming a sarcatic bunch...incapable of lapping up the good things out of this program? I await the inevitable downward spiral of fans like those in england...pee-filled bag missles and horrid behaviour