Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 37

Charting Barnett

So, I wanted to see just how bad Barnett threw the ball last Saturday. I charted ever throw he made. There is a category for something woefully incomplete(IA), on for a catchable ball (CA1), an easy catch(CA2) and bad decisions(BD). There is also a batted down category (BT). I didn't hold it against him if he missed another open receiver. I simply charted what he actually threw. Here's how it came out:

IA-11
    CA1- 5
    CA2- 16
    BD- 1
    BT- 3

Also, I charted drops. Obviously this is subjective but Lenz had 2, Bundrage had one and Young had one. These were all CA1 throws so while they were drops according to me they weren't awful. The good thing is Barnett only made one bad decision and we all know which one it was. That is very good. Now, up until the end of the game he looked good. As I was doing this I was trying to figure out how his numbers were so bad. Well, they piled up late to be honest. For much of the game he was pretty accurate and effective to be honest. He missed a deep ball to Horne he really should have hit for six. Williams batted down all three of those balls. That's something you live with when you have a 6 foot tall QB. According to me, Barnett could have been 21/36. That's still not great but what's important is a lot of those CA1s were in big moments such as third down. I came away from this actually feeling better if that's possible. Eleven throws with no chance of a catch is not good. Some of those throws need to be moved to a CA1 to at least give our receivers a chance. We should also note that only one of those CA1s were caught. That was the one to Shontrelle by the goaline.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 25

Re: Charting Barnett

I think Barnett is fantastic when he has a lead but not as good when playing from behind.

Just a thought.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    So, I wanted to see just how bad Barnett threw the ball last Saturday. I charted ever throw he made. There is a category for something woefully incomplete(IA), on for a catchable ball (CA1), an easy catch(CA2) and bad decisions(BD). There is also a batted down category (BT). I didn't hold it against him if he missed another open receiver. I simply charted what he actually threw. Here's how it came out:

IA-11
    CA1- 5
    CA2- 16
    BD- 1
    BT- 3

Also, I charted drops. Obviously this is subjective but Lenz had 2, Bundrage had one and Young had one. These were all CA1 throws so while they were drops according to me they weren't awful. The good thing is Barnett only made one bad decision and we all know which one it was. That is very good. Now, up until the end of the game he looked good. As I was doing this I was trying to figure out how his numbers were so bad. Well, they piled up late to be honest. For much of the game he was pretty accurate and effective to be honest. He missed a deep ball to Horne he really should have hit for six. Williams batted down all three of those balls. That's something you live with when you have a 6 foot tall QB. According to me, Barnett could have been 21/36. That's still not great but what's important is a lot of those CA1s were in big moments such as third down. I came away from this actually feeling better if that's possible. Eleven throws with no chance of a catch is not good. Some of those throws need to be moved to a CA1 to at least give our receivers a chance. We should also note that only one of those CA1s were caught. That was the one to Shontrelle by the goaline.
    Good post Trevor, I was hounding Barnett after the game, but the guy could have gotten better blocks up front from you and I and I only played tackle through high school.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 12

just for comparisons sake, how many good throws did collin klein have? that guy thows up wounded ducks to wide open WR's and people are listing him as the heisman favorite.

he's a good QB and a very solid runner, but the comparisons to tim tebow are not far off.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 68

I think we all are short sighted and soon forget the TCU game and the Steele Jantz Texas Tech game. KSU is ranked in top 4 and we took them to the wire. I agree that I do not understand with 4+ minutes in the game why we panic and throw 4 passes with 2 timeouts left. I think that was bad play calling. I think the little lob pass at the end that Barnett over thru was a misfortune.

You stay with Barnett and can't keep jumping around. These defensives are alot tougher than the non conference.

God I'm glad we are not in the times when we just hope we don't go a whole season without a win.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    just for comparisons sake, how many good throws did collin klein have? that guy thows up wounded ducks to wide open WR's and people are listing him as the heisman favorite.

he's a good QB and a very solid runner, but the comparisons to tim tebow are not far off.
    If you guys want me to do it, I'll do it but it was significantly better. My guess is he was around that 70% catchable mark. He does throw some awful balls though. His variablity is right there with Barnett it's just he doesn't throw the bad ones as often. He absolutely killed us with his feet on third and longs. I think he picked up three or four of them when we had pressure and everything covered. I feel pretty comfortable saying that we won't play someone that is that adept at just pulling it down and converting. Geno Smith has the capability but he doesn't really want to do that. He is more likely to go, "**** it, I'm going deep." Klein, in this game threw some balls that had no right not being broken up or picked off. I suppose the holes were so big he could just lob them out there but there was a ball thrown to Thompson that he caught on his knees that took forever to get there and was not thrown in front. With a TV replay, it's impossible to see everything so I can't see what exactly happened other then we just weren't in the area. That's Klein though. He knows what he is and he knows what he can and can't get by with. He doesn't turn the ball over because he's wicked smaart. I think Barnett is in that same sort of category Obviously he's not as effective and is a complete different type of runner but mentally I think the two are very very similar but Barnett is a Sophomore and Klein is a senior.

Or so I have read.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 66

Excellent post and research. I'd be curious how that compares to Jantz's play.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Excellent post and research. I'd be curious how that compares to Jantz's play.
    A lot more BDs....a lot more and that's not to mention that in a lot of those case there's something that would have a better result open.

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    I think Barnett is fantastic when he has a lead but not as good when playing from behind.

Just a thought.
    Oklahoma State he played alright after we were down 17.

And whoever compared Klein and Barnett above...Barnett's mechanics >>>>>>>> Klein's mechanics

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post

Just a thought.
    Yup, good thing we switched to Jantz against OSU last year or we never would have come back.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 651

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post

IA-11
    CA1- 5
    CA2- 16
    BD- 1
    BT- 3

Good stuff. I think if you would do the same thing with Barnett last year, it would show that he got worse as most other games went on. I don't know if it's because he gets beat up or what.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post

I think this is a good point. I don't think people are giving the KSU secondary enough credit. I thought it was far better than ISU's on Saturday.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post

And whoever compared Klein and Barnett above...Barnett's mechanics >>>>>>>> Klein's mechanics
    Difference to me is that for the OSU game, we didn't have anything to lose. Yes we were playing to still get bowl eligible, but no one really thought we'd have a chance and so their wasn't as much pressure on JB. For KSU there was a lot more pressure to perform because people know we can perform up to that level and expect it now.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LivntheCyLife View Post
    I think this is a good point. I don't think people are giving the KSU secondary enough credit. I thought it was far better than ISU's on Saturday.
    I didn't really think so. We had stuff open. The thing is, and I wrote about this in last weeks preview, that KSU get's in such favorable positions due to what they do on first and second down. When you have a 2nd and 4, that secondary is buckled, especially with Klein. If you look at passing situations, coverage was good. We had trouble when there was threat of a run. That's how you have to play KSU. You have to make them throw to beat you. We lost contain too much and didn't make him make tough throws. That is how they play and that's how they win.

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 670
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 105

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post

True but to be fair, Klein's results>>>>>>>>>>>Barnett's results

I don't care what it looks like when your numbers look like his: 79/118 for 1074 yards, 7TD/2INT and 6W/0L.