Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: A thought on Barnett

I just don't like how many balls JB gets tipped at the line of scrimage. He had at least 4 or 5 that where tipped or altered by a d-lineman. The missed ball to SJ in the 4th was diret result of being too short to loft it over the line with touch. Its a very tough pass not float when you are undersized trying to get it over the line.

Smoke um if you got um

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Hard to the throw when the DEs are in your face on your first step in a three step drop. Our tackles played pedestrian on Saturday. I hope they come to play at Okie State.
    True. But when you're a short QB, that is what you have to deal with. You're going to get balls swatted and tipped. The Oline pass protected better than it did against Tech, but it still isn't where it needs to be.

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I suggest you go back and watch the replay of the K State game. I was all over Barnett on Saturday after the game, but rewatching the game last night he had no time to throw. He had guys in his face the whole day, which would explain the tipped balls. Saturday was the worst game all season for the offensive line. Hard to throw a good ball when you throwing it consistently off your back foot to avoid the rush. No running game + no pass protection = destroy the quarterback, which is short sighted. Go back and watch the TCU game when he had time to throw and had passing lanes and not 6'5" guys in his facemask and tell me how he did. He has some really nice throws. And to those that say the receivers arent getting separation, go back and watch Saturday and tell me how wide open Horne and Gary were all day, the crossing patterns were there all day. A little bit better protection on Saturday and we win that game going away.
    Tech was worse. Many were ragging on Steele for "not stepping up into the pocket" - there wasn't any semblance of a pocket against the red raiders, all game, even when they didn't blitz. I thought at times against KSU we did a good job giving JB a few seconds.

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    True. But when you're a short QB, that is what you have to deal with. You're going to get balls swatted and tipped. The Oline pass protected better than it did against Tech, but it still isn't where it needs to be.
    How many quarterbacks are Colin Klein size? Anymore defensive lineman have 6 inches on quarterbacks.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    i don't usually call out poster's. but the more you post, the more you show how little you know.
    Tell me where my logic is flawed. He has never shown the ability to throw consistently at this level. Never at this level has he completed 60% of his passes (which is brutal considering the majority of the passes we throw are within 10 yards of the LOS) in a game.

Routes which require a pass to be roped into an area he struggles mightily with. Routes which require more touch he throws better (like the corner route were obsessed with throwing). Roughly half of his passes are at the ankles of the intended target. That's an arm strength problem. He has the mental part of the game down, the physical part is holding him back.

This year thus far on second down he's an excellent passer. One anything other than second down he's terrible. Last year he was consistently bad across all downs.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,621
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

he surely won't be able to correct his size disadvantage. that just means he will have to move around in the pocket and messingham will have to call plays to his strength. drew brees is his height.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Tech was worse. Many were ragging on Steele for "not stepping up into the pocket" - there wasn't any semblance of a pocket against the red raiders, all game, even when they didn't blitz. I thought at times against KSU we did a good job giving JB a few seconds.
    Worst part about that game is the reads were there for the running back but Jantz carried the ball too much.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

How many quarterbacks are Colin Klein size? Anymore defensive lineman have 6 inches on quarterbacks.
    Geno Smith: 6-3 214
    Collin Klein: 6-5 226
    Landry Jones: 6-4 218
    Casey Pachall: 6-5 226 (Boykin 6-2 215)
    Seth Doege: 6-1 197
    Nick Florence: 6-1 205
    Wes Lunt: 6-4 211 (J.W. Walsh 6-2 205)
    David Ash: 6-3 223 (Case McCoy 6-2 200)
    Dayne Crist: 6-4 235
    Jared Barnett: 6-1 199 (Steele Jantz 6-3 224)

How many Klein's size? Not very many. How many of the other quarterbacks Barnett's size have issues throwing? None.

KFitzy87

he surely won't be able to correct his size disadvantage. that just means he will have to move around in the pocket and messingham will have to call plays to his strength. drew brees is his height.
    Drew Brees has one of the biggest arms in the NFL

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Um not many. What's your point?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Geno Smith: 6-3 214
    Collin Klein: 6-5 226
    Landry Jones: 6-4 218
    Casey Pachall: 6-5 226 (Boykin 6-2 215)
    Seth Doege: 6-1 197
    Nick Florence: 6-1 205
    Wes Lunt: 6-4 211 (J.W. Walsh 6-2 205)
    David Ash: 6-3 223 (Case McCoy 6-2 200)
    Dayne Crist: 6-4 235
    Jared Barnett: 6-1 199 (Steele Jantz 6-3 224)

How many Klein's size? Not very many. How many of the other quarterbacks Barnett's size have issues throwing? None.
    Oh that group who has had the most inconsistent line play? And there is your answer.
    Hell Kansas had their way all day with OSU up front, Crist is just color blind.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Um not many. What's your point?
    You were making it sound as though it was a size issue for Barnett, which its not.

Addict
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,205
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

I also wonder if some of the problems we are having are just due to him being a sophomore. Many of the better QB's we've had didn't get the starters role until their junior season. The fanbase didn't make judgements about them until they had time to develop. While I'm not calling Barnett the next Rosenberg or Seneca, we need to realize that he isn't an upperclassman yet and he's only in there because of the lack of options available.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

Well, his arm strength is fine if we only ask him to throw certain throws. Some of the passes we ask him to throw, he simply cannot make. And there's no disputing that. Beating 3 of the 4 worst defenses in the country last year doesn't change that either. And his accuracy has always been an issue, even more so than Steele's, who people love to call out.

It is what it is. If JB continues to be our QB, it will be because of his leadership and Steele's inability to reduce the turnovers.
    I don't know about this. He had some nice long balls against TCU, something Steele has never been able to pull off in a game. Maybe on shorter throws Steel has the advantage, but over-all, I wouldn't say by much, unless you count Steele's ability to complete passes to the other team in the red zone.

I do believe both of our QBs would have better results behind a line that gave each of them more time to throw. In the end, I believe we are choosing between the lesser of two evils right now. And not throwing INTs in the red zone, or turning the ball over on crucial drives has put one guy as our starter.

I will root for whomever is out there, but honestly, I like having JB out there better, if nothing else, I'm not constantly wodering when the next turnover is coming. It sucks that we don't have a super stud QB, but with our D, I'm more content having a game manager as opposed to the gunslinger out there.

In the end, it baffles me we are still having this conversation. Both QBs have proved they can win and they can lose, why can't we as fans, for once, just trust the coaches are doing the best thing for the team and leave it be. Why does rooting for one QB as the starter have to lead to bashing the other? I'm guilty of it as well, but I do wish we could realize this is what we have, it's really not going to change, no matter who is starting.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Remember that post where you in essence told me to keep in mind the old adage that you can keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot or open it and confirm it?

But at least you didn't cherry pick the one guy in the NFL who isn't tall and has success. I'm sure you'd also say we should have a shooting guard the size of Earl Boykins since he got to the NBA as well? We shouldn't bother recruiting post guys above 6'5" because Mr. Pratt was a hell of an interior defender despite being that tall?

And last thing: I will eat my foot if Barnett is actually 6'1". Maybe with his cleats and his helmet on but there's no way he's 6'0" tall, let alone 6'1".

Last edited by IcSyU; 10-16-2012 at 02:57 PM.