Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 79
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 176,874, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    7,342
    Points
    176,874
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 68

    A thought on Barnett

    I wonder, had he been playing all year, would he be a little more comfortable throwing the ball at this point?

    My reason for asking is maybe he will get better with some more games under his belt?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 99,223, Level: 98
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,827
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    7,619
    Points
    99,223
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 20

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    Maybe... but I think his mechanics and physical ability are what limit him at the moment. Hope to see him work those out and be at least more consistent.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 74,496, Level: 84
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cedar Falls
    Posts
    6,620
    Points
    74,496
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 20

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    Absolutely!!

    A young QB playing with the #1s for 100% of the spring, summer, fall camp, and game week makes a huge difference. It makes a huge difference even for a guy like peyton manning. multiply that for a sophomore QB in college who could use all the help he can.

    QB competitions are a mess. Look at what mike gundy did: named his starting QB in the spring.

    Jared will be a lot better next year if given the opportunity to be the starter from the get-go.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 432,968, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,832
    Points
    432,968
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 17

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    No. His problem is arm strength. Game experience doesn't fix that. If he was having a problem making the read on where the ball needs to go then yes the game experience would help. His problem however is delivering the ball where it needs to be and when it needs to be there.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 646,959, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,881
    Points
    646,959
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,505
    Given: 143

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    I would say it looks doubtful that that's his problem, he started half the season last year too.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 125,590, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,709
    Points
    125,590
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 67

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    No. His problem is arm strength. Game experience doesn't fix that. If he was having a problem making the read on where the ball needs to go then yes the game experience would help. His problem however is delivering the ball where it needs to be and when it needs to be there.
    I take it you missed the throws to Lentz in the TCU game?



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 166,630, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    CLONECONES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    7,191
    Points
    166,630
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    his grip is not what I could call my favorite




    Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 432,968, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,832
    Points
    432,968
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 17

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    I take it you missed the throws to Lentz in the TCU game?
    He's thrown the ball how many times now? How many of them have been good passes? Maybe 10? Keep in mind the people who are catching punts and kicks before the game are throwing it 40 yards downfield just slinging it. I don't throw a football a couple hundred times a day and can throw it further than that. His arm strength is, very nicely putting it, poor. Watch when he throws a slant or the receiver screen...the ball floats out to the target instead of going to the target on a rope like it does when Jantz tosses it.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 54,703, Level: 72
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    BoxsterCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,329
    Points
    54,703
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 261

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    I wonder, had he been playing all year, would he be a little more comfortable throwing the ball at this point?

    My reason for asking is maybe he will get better with some more games under his belt?
    The prevailing thoughts that things will be better seem to center on (1) we will start playing teams who have defenses that even our offense can score on and (2) we will get better QB play with more time.

    I hope one or both comes true but it is just that, hope. Not sure I see either happening although #1 seems at least plausible. #2 is a reach. Check out TCU and their new kid QB. He looked promising in the game against us and than went on the road the next week and throw four TD and no interceptions. What we have seen is what we have. Will it be good enough to get us 2 or 3 more wins? Which gets me back to hope and I do hope we have some big moments left for this season, it's just not a hope with a lot of blind faith behind it.


    Last edited by BoxsterCy; 10-16-2012 at 10:39 AM.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 74,496, Level: 84
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cedar Falls
    Posts
    6,620
    Points
    74,496
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 20

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    He's thrown the ball how many times now? How many of them have been good passes? Maybe 10? Keep in mind the people who are catching punts and kicks before the game are throwing it 40 yards downfield just slinging it. I don't throw a football a couple hundred times a day and can throw it further than that. His arm strength is, very nicely putting it, poor. Watch when he throws a slant or the receiver screen...the ball floats out to the target instead of going to the target on a rope like it does when Jantz tosses it.
    i don't usually call out poster's. but the more you post, the more you show how little you know.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 74,496, Level: 84
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cedar Falls
    Posts
    6,620
    Points
    74,496
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 20

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    jared's arm strength is fine. he just needs to set his feet and put the ball on target. that will come with practice.

    I am not saying he will ever win the heisman, just that he can and will improve vastly with more practice, and more practice as the guy.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 27,040, Level: 50
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cloned4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,541
    Points
    27,040
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    I take it you missed the throws to Lentz in the TCU game?
    No, he didn't. Neither of the throws were throws that required a lot of arm strength. And the one that did was obviously short and sputtered and intercepted. Very accurate and good touch on the TD's but those are throws that any QB can make.

    It's only fair to JB that fans understand that he does not have a strong Big 12 arm. Probably below average for this level. We as fans can't expect him to make throws that he physically cannot make.

    The O has to be called very differently compared to Steele because of this.

    He struggles with accuracy also, really only completing about half of his passes at his best, and the vast majority of those are short to intermediate routes.

    He got beat out by Steele 2 years in a row for a reason. Let's root like hell for him to improve but don't rag on the kid when he isn't the savior of this offense.


    ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!


  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 125,590, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,709
    Points
    125,590
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 67

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    He's thrown the ball how many times now? How many of them have been good passes? Maybe 10? Keep in mind the people who are catching punts and kicks before the game are throwing it 40 yards downfield just slinging it. I don't throw a football a couple hundred times a day and can throw it further than that. His arm strength is, very nicely putting it, poor. Watch when he throws a slant or the receiver screen...the ball floats out to the target instead of going to the target on a rope like it does when Jantz tosses it.
    I suggest you go back and watch the replay of the K State game. I was all over Barnett on Saturday after the game, but rewatching the game last night he had no time to throw. He had guys in his face the whole day, which would explain the tipped balls. Saturday was the worst game all season for the offensive line. Hard to throw a good ball when you throwing it consistently off your back foot to avoid the rush. No running game + no pass protection = destroy the quarterback, which is short sighted. Go back and watch the TCU game when he had time to throw and had passing lanes and not 6'5" guys in his facemask and tell me how he did. He has some really nice throws. And to those that say the receivers arent getting separation, go back and watch Saturday and tell me how wide open Horne and Gary were all day, the crossing patterns were there all day. A little bit better protection on Saturday and we win that game going away.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 125,590, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,709
    Points
    125,590
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 67

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    No, he didn't. Neither of the throws were throws that required a lot of arm strength. And the one that did was obviously short and sputtered and intercepted. Very accurate and good touch on the TD's but those are throws that any QB can make.

    It's only fair to JB that fans understand that he does not have a strong Big 12 arm. Probably below average for this level. We as fans can't expect him to make throws that he physically cannot make.

    The O has to be called very differently compared to Steele because of this.

    He struggles with accuracy also, really only completing about half of his passes at his best, and the vast majority of those are short to intermediate routes.

    He got beat out by Steele 2 years in a row for a reason. Let's root like hell for him to improve but don't rag on the kid when he isn't the savior of this offense.
    Hard to the throw when the DEs are in your face on your first step in a three step drop. Our tackles played pedestrian on Saturday. I hope they come to play at Okie State.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 27,040, Level: 50
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cloned4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,541
    Points
    27,040
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: A thought on Barnett

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    jared's arm strength is fine. he just needs to set his feet and put the ball on target. that will come with practice.
    Well, his arm strength is fine if we only ask him to throw certain throws. Some of the passes we ask him to throw, he simply cannot make. And there's no disputing that. Beating 3 of the 4 worst defenses in the country last year doesn't change that either. And his accuracy has always been an issue, even more so than Steele's, who people love to call out.

    It is what it is. If JB continues to be our QB, it will be because of his leadership and Steele's inability to reduce the turnovers.


    ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM