Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 68

A thought on Barnett

I wonder, had he been playing all year, would he be a little more comfortable throwing the ball at this point?

My reason for asking is maybe he will get better with some more games under his belt?

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,827
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 20

Re: A thought on Barnett

Maybe... but I think his mechanics and physical ability are what limit him at the moment. Hope to see him work those out and be at least more consistent.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111

Absolutely!!

A young QB playing with the #1s for 100% of the spring, summer, fall camp, and game week makes a huge difference. It makes a huge difference even for a guy like peyton manning. multiply that for a sophomore QB in college who could use all the help he can.

QB competitions are a mess. Look at what mike gundy did: named his starting QB in the spring.

Jared will be a lot better next year if given the opportunity to be the starter from the get-go.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 17

No. His problem is arm strength. Game experience doesn't fix that. If he was having a problem making the read on where the ball needs to go then yes the game experience would help. His problem however is delivering the ball where it needs to be and when it needs to be there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,505
    Given: 143

I would say it looks doubtful that that's his problem, he started half the season last year too.

Addict
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    No. His problem is arm strength. Game experience doesn't fix that. If he was having a problem making the read on where the ball needs to go then yes the game experience would help. His problem however is delivering the ball where it needs to be and when it needs to be there.
    I take it you missed the throws to Lentz in the TCU game?

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

his grip is not what I could call my favorite

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    He's thrown the ball how many times now? How many of them have been good passes? Maybe 10? Keep in mind the people who are catching punts and kicks before the game are throwing it 40 yards downfield just slinging it. I don't throw a football a couple hundred times a day and can throw it further than that. His arm strength is, very nicely putting it, poor. Watch when he throws a slant or the receiver screen...the ball floats out to the target instead of going to the target on a rope like it does when Jantz tosses it.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 261

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    I wonder, had he been playing all year, would he be a little more comfortable throwing the ball at this point?

My reason for asking is maybe he will get better with some more games under his belt?
    The prevailing thoughts that things will be better seem to center on (1) we will start playing teams who have defenses that even our offense can score on and (2) we will get better QB play with more time.

I hope one or both comes true but it is just that, hope. Not sure I see either happening although #1 seems at least plausible. #2 is a reach. Check out TCU and their new kid QB. He looked promising in the game against us and than went on the road the next week and throw four TD and no interceptions. What we have seen is what we have. Will it be good enough to get us 2 or 3 more wins? Which gets me back to hope and I do hope we have some big moments left for this season, it's just not a hope with a lot of blind faith behind it.

Last edited by BoxsterCy; 10-16-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He's thrown the ball how many times now? How many of them have been good passes? Maybe 10? Keep in mind the people who are catching punts and kicks before the game are throwing it 40 yards downfield just slinging it. I don't throw a football a couple hundred times a day and can throw it further than that. His arm strength is, very nicely putting it, poor. Watch when he throws a slant or the receiver screen...the ball floats out to the target instead of going to the target on a rope like it does when Jantz tosses it.
    i don't usually call out poster's. but the more you post, the more you show how little you know.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

jared's arm strength is fine. he just needs to set his feet and put the ball on target. that will come with practice.

I am not saying he will ever win the heisman, just that he can and will improve vastly with more practice, and more practice as the guy.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    No, he didn't. Neither of the throws were throws that required a lot of arm strength. And the one that did was obviously short and sputtered and intercepted. Very accurate and good touch on the TD's but those are throws that any QB can make.

It's only fair to JB that fans understand that he does not have a strong Big 12 arm. Probably below average for this level. We as fans can't expect him to make throws that he physically cannot make.

The O has to be called very differently compared to Steele because of this.

He struggles with accuracy also, really only completing about half of his passes at his best, and the vast majority of those are short to intermediate routes.

He got beat out by Steele 2 years in a row for a reason. Let's root like hell for him to improve but don't rag on the kid when he isn't the savior of this offense.

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I suggest you go back and watch the replay of the K State game. I was all over Barnett on Saturday after the game, but rewatching the game last night he had no time to throw. He had guys in his face the whole day, which would explain the tipped balls. Saturday was the worst game all season for the offensive line. Hard to throw a good ball when you throwing it consistently off your back foot to avoid the rush. No running game + no pass protection = destroy the quarterback, which is short sighted. Go back and watch the TCU game when he had time to throw and had passing lanes and not 6'5" guys in his facemask and tell me how he did. He has some really nice throws. And to those that say the receivers arent getting separation, go back and watch Saturday and tell me how wide open Horne and Gary were all day, the crossing patterns were there all day. A little bit better protection on Saturday and we win that game going away.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    No, he didn't. Neither of the throws were throws that required a lot of arm strength. And the one that did was obviously short and sputtered and intercepted. Very accurate and good touch on the TD's but those are throws that any QB can make.

It's only fair to JB that fans understand that he does not have a strong Big 12 arm. Probably below average for this level. We as fans can't expect him to make throws that he physically cannot make.

The O has to be called very differently compared to Steele because of this.

He struggles with accuracy also, really only completing about half of his passes at his best, and the vast majority of those are short to intermediate routes.

He got beat out by Steele 2 years in a row for a reason. Let's root like hell for him to improve but don't rag on the kid when he isn't the savior of this offense.
    Hard to the throw when the DEs are in your face on your first step in a three step drop. Our tackles played pedestrian on Saturday. I hope they come to play at Okie State.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    jared's arm strength is fine. he just needs to set his feet and put the ball on target. that will come with practice.
    Well, his arm strength is fine if we only ask him to throw certain throws. Some of the passes we ask him to throw, he simply cannot make. And there's no disputing that. Beating 3 of the 4 worst defenses in the country last year doesn't change that either. And his accuracy has always been an issue, even more so than Steele's, who people love to call out.

It is what it is. If JB continues to be our QB, it will be because of his leadership and Steele's inability to reduce the turnovers.

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!