Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: KSU's penalties

  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 300,191, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    16,757
    Points
    300,191
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,129
    Given: 5,958

    KSU's penalties

    I have to confess before Saturday I had not really seen KSU play more than a few highlights. But after reading about their lack of mistakes and something like 14 yards of penalties per game I expected a lot crisper play than what I saw. I was amazed not only at the number of penalties that they accumulated but also with the number of infractions that the refs missed for which they could have easily been flagged. For example there were a lot more instances of holding that could have been called, several pretty flagrant out in space. I know that they had to play a pretty darn good defense Saturday in a pretty loud environment, but can that account for it all? My gut tells me there must be something more.

    This is not a complain about the refs thread. I just want to ask this question of fans who have seen more KSU games than I have: How in the heck did they get this far without accumulating a lot more penalty yards?

    By the way I am not bagging on Grandpa's team. I still think that they are the real deal.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 120,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,814
    Points
    120,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 1,371

    Re: KSU's penalties

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I have to confess before Saturday I had not really seen KSU play more than a few highlights. But after reading about their lack of mistakes and something like 14 yards of penalties per game I expected a lot crisper play than what I saw. I was amazed not only at the number of penalties that they accumulated but also with the number of infractions that the refs missed for which they could have easily been flagged. For example there were a lot more instances of holding that could have been called, several pretty flagrant out in space. I know that they had to play a pretty darn good defense Saturday in a pretty loud environment, but can that account for it all? My gut tells me there must be something more.

    This is not a complain about the refs thread. I just want to ask this question of fans who have seen more KSU games than I have: How in the heck did they get this far without accumulating a lot more penalty yards?

    By the way I am not bagging on Grandpa's team. I still think that they are the real deal.
    Probably no way to assess any cause-effect, but Iowa State is 1st in the Big 12 in opponents' penalties:

    Big 12 statistics



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 71,153, Level: 82
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    3,056
    Points
    71,153
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 372
    Given: 495

    Re: KSU's penalties

    I think part of it is always perception. They are viewed as a fundamentally sound, mistake-free football team so they don't get watched as closely as teams who are known for committing penalties.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 116,739, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,968
    Points
    116,739
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 163

    Re: KSU's penalties

    4 out of their 5 games leading into Saturday were blowouts. It's pretty easy to play clean football when you have that 2+ possession cushion on the scoreboard. When you're playing a tough, scrappy team, you're much more likely to start grabbing and pulling to keep yourself from getting beat.

    I agree that there were many other blatant holds that should have been called.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 51,578, Level: 70
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BBHMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,879
    Points
    51,578
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 561

    Re: KSU's penalties

    They are just a sound team and it shows in everything they do.

    A question to those who saw the game on tv (I was at Jack Trice): There were about three false start/offsides calls that I thought should have gone against KSU but went against us. Were they correct? I don't think the refs cost us the game at all, but I was just wondering because where I was sitting at the game, the calls seemed obvious.


    Cy has balls of steel.

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 44,198, Level: 64
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    scyclonekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,359
    Points
    44,198
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 17

    Re: KSU's penalties

    Quote Originally Posted by BBHMagic View Post
    They are just a sound team and it shows in everything they do.

    A question to those who saw the game on tv (I was at Jack Trice): There were about three false start/offsides calls that I thought should have gone against KSU but went against us. Were they correct? I don't think the refs cost us the game at all, but I was just wondering because where I was sitting at the game, the calls seemed obvious.
    The refs definitely missed some offsides on their *** and holding calls on their offense, but they did on us too so evenly called game.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 71,625, Level: 83
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,525
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyballz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    926
    Points
    71,625
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 36

    Re: KSU's penalties

    PUNTING Team Cl G Punts Yds Long Avg
    1. Sharp, Quinn... OSU SR 5 13 618 73 47.5
    2. King, Alex..... UT SR 6 18 854 65 47.4
    3. Perry, Ethan... TCU FR 5 18 852 64 47.3
    4. Roth, Spencer.. BU SO 5 12 533 65 44.4
    5. Erxleben, Ryan. TTU JR 6 12 519 54 43.2
    6. Van Der Kamp,K. ISU JR 6 36 1531 59 42.5
    7. Way,Tress...... OU SR 5 20 850 71 42.5
    8. Doherty, Ron... KU JR 5 21 851 63 40.5
    9. Doerr, Ryan.... KSU SR 6 15 606 52 40.4


    Holy **** we punt a lot


    read this post quickly - it might not last long

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 125,478, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,523
    Points
    125,478
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 702
    Given: 605

    Re: KSU's penalties

    I want to know what McDonough was thinking on the one where he charged through the line. It seemed like he thought he had a free play or maybe he was just ticked. He headed right to the sideline after the play.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 16,378, Level: 38
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Cyclonic1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sun City, AZ
    Posts
    1,153
    Points
    16,378
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 335

    Re: KSU's penalties

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    I want to know what McDonough was thinking on the one where he charged through the line. It seemed like he thought he had a free play or maybe he was just ticked. He headed right to the sideline after the play.
    He did that 3 times - twice in a row. Not sure what he thought he saw or heard. Replays showed it was all on him











    The sky is the limit. We are trying to win every game. We are going to try to get to that big stage, the Final Four, and play on. Morris (May 2014)
    “If you take a look at this group, we’re extremely talented 1-15. We have a lot of talented guys in this locker room — all guys who are willing to put their agendas aside to win. That separates good teams from great teams.” Niang (Oct 2014)

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 69,880, Level: 82
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,570
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,740
    Points
    69,880
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 514
    Given: 378

    Re: KSU's penalties

    Quote Originally Posted by besserheimerphat View Post
    I think part of it is always perception. They are viewed as a fundamentally sound, mistake-free football team so they don't get watched as closely as teams who are known for committing penalties.

    That really helps a team perfect their holding on both sides of the ball.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM