Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Turning point?

Obviously we turned the game after halftime. Wow, but specifically.
    I think going for a 4th and two on your own 47 ( or whatever it was ) shows just enough disrespect for your opponent to motivate them into destroying your hind-end for the rest of the quarter.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: Turning point?

Well, considering during the first half we showed Hawkins we couldn't stop a wet paper bag, I think he had the right idea. Not to mention, they get it, odds are that it's game over and we roll on our backs.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

That was definitely the turning point of the game, not really a bad call, if they make it they probably go on to win. I think that lit a fire under us and really put them back on their heals though.

Rookie
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    That was definitely the turning point of the game, not really a bad call, if they make it they probably go on to win. I think that lit a fire under us and really put them back on their heals though.
    I hear you, but for those exact same reasons I think it was a bad call. Unless the momentum changes they beat us. Don't give your opponent the opportunity to change the momentum. When you're on the wrong side of the 50 yard line I think you should be punting.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 245

Ben Bruns, during the postgame, specifically commented on that particular call. He said that he was totally shocked at the call. He commented that while we had shown little life up to that point - why not kick it and force us to go 70 yards as opposed to opening up the possibility of us making a big defensive play to gain some momentum (and good field position). Ben said that he was near a bunch of the CU faithful and told them, "I know that your coach likes to roll the dice a little, but the only possibility your team has of LOSING this game is if you go for it and don't pick up this 4th down." (this may not be the exact word-for-word quote). He then explained that they all looked at him in disbelief. I'm sure they were analyzing his comments on their way back to Boulder.

I know that our guys looked much more ready to go in the 2nd half and they may have gotten the win even if CU punts in that situation, but I have to believe that we likely would not have had enough time in the "wind-aided" 3rd qtr to score that 3rd TD if CU had punted. You may have noticed that our offense was much less effective in the 4th. So, I do agree that this was the huge turning point in the game.

Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

Walk On
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 16

I thought it was a terrible call, did this guy look at any game film the last four weeks. If we didn't fold after Texas and being down 14-0 on the road at Mizzou, we sure as heck were not going to fold if a very average CU team managed a first down! They had to know we could and would play much better than we had in the first half, giving us any little advantage was just bad coaching.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,038
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 106

It will be interesting if Hawkins learns from this or if he makes the same decision.