Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU Club of Austin's "unofficial" Cyclone-Longhorns tailgate info

For those planning to come down in a few weeks for the ISU-Texas game on Nov. 10, we have another big "unofficial" tailgate planned! This year I'll admit I'm giving you a better notice than last time 2 years ago - since many here were surprised to drive to this downtown UT campus only to discover pretty much all tailgate spots are sold-out and prepaid for months in advance. For those that found us last time, same big private lot dedicated to Cyclone fans (and a few of our UT friends down here).

So leave your tents and grills behind, park in one of the garages, and just come to our lot. The ISUAA tailgate starts a few hours before the game but we'll be starting our party at 9:00a regardless and will also be going strong during and after the game like last time. We have that same BBQ team with that huge smoker trailer rolling fresh brisket, pork and sausage and all the FREE BEER you can drink. We will also have satellite TV running games all day. Yes, I'm working on how to stream the Longhorn Network feed since no satellite carries it and few actually have it down here and even fewer are actually allowed to stream it from LHN site

Yes, there is a cover to get on our lot - $12 if you buy online now or $15 at the door. This covers the $600 that UT already charged us for the 1000 sf lot (no kiddin' ) plus our private M+W bathrooms and the off-duty Texas Ranger we always hire just to keep things in check. So figure even with the ISU Alumni Assoc. charging $20-30 for their catered BBQ and cash bar, you can still come to ours for just $12 during or after.

So if you're definitely planning on coming down, do us a favor and buy online now since we have already coughed up quite a bit of the upfront costs to throw this for Cyclone friends, not to mention it helps us plan BBQ and beer stock much better than last time

Some more FAQ on the invite: Iowa State BBQ Tailgate! - pingg.com

- Matt

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3453853.web.template.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	15570  

Last edited by AustinCy; 10-10-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 75

Re: ISU Club of Austin's "unofficial" Cyclone-Longhorns tailgate info

Looks like an awesome deal. I need to find somebody to road trip with to Austin from Houston...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 6

Wow that sounds like a awesome time!

Prospect
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Bump.

Curious who has booked their Austin hotel yet?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,329
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

We are thinking about coming last minute. Are tix hard to scalp? Any suggestions on hotels or b and bs?

Prospect
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    We are thinking about coming last minute. Are tix hard to scalp? Any suggestions on hotels or b and bs?
    I have no idea about B&B's. Downtown rooms would be nice and convenient if you are going to 6th street after the game, but will be expensive. There are tons of hotels a few miles north of campus on I-35 that will be a short drive to the stadium and downtown, and won't cost much.

If UT loses to Texas Tech, There will be a lot of tickets available from scalpers. Stubhub tickets are starting at about $45 right now.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hard to say until after their Tx Tech game the week before. But since this game is ONLY on the Longhorn Network - which literally <1% of people can even get down here anywhere in Central Texas (funny huh?) - there will be more coming to DKR stadium than usual. And the fact both the KU and TT games are on the road the prior 2 weeks tells me this could end up a sold out 100K+ game win or lose for the Horns fans. If so, there will still ALWAYS be scalpers but will be asking above face.

As for hotels, downtown is obviously best because of all the nightlife in crawling distance - but you'll pay dearly for that convenience since a lot of out-of-town Horns have already booked and Austin has a HUGE internat'l F1 Grand Prix race the next weekend where literally all hotels within Austin city limits are sold out and several into our game weekend no less. So Wilber is right, book I-35 around Hwy 290 overpass but don't go further north than Hwy 183/Research Blvd bridge (unless you like dealers, hookers AND their pimps sitting on your car hood ).

And take a cab to the game. You won't find parking anywhere around campus unless you get down to the few non-Longhorn Foundation (donor) garages at least 3-4 hours before the game. People here tailgate WAY EARLIER than Ames. Really. That's why we are throwing this ISU tailgate so you don't have to bring anything.

FYI - 6th Street is kind of run down over the recession (and violence around there has skyrocketed since, unfortunately). WEST Sixth St. or Rainey St. districts are the cooler places to go out these days.

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 70

Quote Originally Posted by AustinCy View Post
    And take a cab to the game. You won't find parking anywhere around campus unless you get down to the few non-Longhorn Foundation (donor) garages at least 3-4 hours before the game. People here tailgate WAY EARLIER than Ames. Really. That's why we are throwing this ISU tailgate so you don't have to bring anything.
    Since tailgating is generally on university property in Ames, it is restricted to 6 hours before game time. How early is way earlier in Austin?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 347
    Given: 104

I went to this back in 2010 and its absolutely awesome. If you're going to the game, tailgate here.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Tailgating officially opens up for $20/spot on FRIDAY at 6:00p! This is not just RVs, this is your traditional car/pickup spaces! People leave their vehicles down on the lots overnight to hold their spots and hop a return ride from their "taxi friend" the next morning. And you don't have to tear down until Sunday Noon.

Like I said, tailgating is bigger yet more cramped down here. And since a lot of people can't buy spots and just want to tailgate hop all day (like our ISU tailgate), the few public garages get filled up early every time I come down for any Horns game.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 41

This is the definitely the place to be for ISU fans. The tailgate was packed with ISU folks in 2010, and thanks to the outcome of the game, the atmosphere rocked.

Trying to tailgate on your own around DKR sucks unless you're loaded with cash.

For the 2010 game, I parked in a garage on 27th Street north of campus and walked down to the tailgate. For an 11 am kick, I think I reached the garage around 9:00 or 9:30 and there were still plenty of spaces. This is probably what I'll do again. The distance from the tailgate also gave me enough time to sober up as I walked back to my vehicle.

btw, walking through the UT campus with ISU gear on after beating the Horns in their own stadium... some priceless reactions.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tejasclone View Post
    This is the definitely the place to be for ISU fans. The tailgate was packed with ISU folks in 2010, and thanks to the outcome of the game, the atmosphere rocked.

Trying to tailgate on your own around DKR sucks unless you're loaded with cash.

For the 2010 game, I parked in a garage on 27th Street north of campus and walked down to the tailgate. For an 11 am kick, I think I reached the garage around 9:00 or 9:30 and there were still plenty of spaces. This is probably what I'll do again. The distance from the tailgate also gave me enough time to sober up as I walked back to my vehicle.

btw, walking through the UT campus with ISU gear on after beating the Horns in their own stadium... some priceless reactions.
    Ahhh, yes, the 27th/Speedway garages. Man, that's a 12 block hike straight thru the heart of campus to get down to most of the tailgates (including ours down around 17th St.) That's BALLSY my man!

Yeah, I have been to A LOT of Horns games in my 14 years here in Austin. And DKR that October day in 2010 was the quietest I've ever heard it! What was even cooler is was everyone wondering what our Landshark Lager wristbands were all about and then following us from [ISU] Section 32 back to the tailgate. Walking out the SW exit down San Jacinto I look behind me too see a wake of cardinal splitting the sea of Burnt Orange. Strangely, that is the first time I never heard even one Horns fan scream or curse at us. Sadly, when the Horns win, their fans are even BIGGER a-holes <-- and this is why we started partnering up with this BBQ team (most of them are A&M Aggies anyway!) and buying the private lot.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

For those procrastinators wanting to come to the game (and don't want to pay extortionist StubHub fees), UT ticket office themselves are now trying to unload their remaining game tickets at HALF PRICE ($35):

TexasSports.com | Online Ticket Office | Promotions

Enter promo code "TRAVELZOO" then "Pick My Seats". Looks like there are about 4K or so seats (of 105K) left. Yes, they're nosebleed and not close to the ISU pre-sales section 32 but you can at least pick exactly where you want to sit. Hey, for half price - and you know of a great Cyclone tailgate close by going on before and after - has to make it worth it anyway, right?

Addict
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 370
    Given: 302

Thanks for the tip. Wish I could come to this game.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Not really news now that kick-off is 11a so we are bumping up our tailgate opening time to 8a. If that's too early for you keep in mind we will be going strong both DURING and AFTER the game! Matter of fact, if you plan on gambling on scalpers and lose (keep in mind the game is basically sold out now), we plan to stream the game to a large flatscreen at our tailgate. Yes, we know ONE guys in Austin that has Longhorn Network and a Slingbox. And no, you can't have the password because Sling only works to one remote computer. We actually pulled this off last year for the Kansas-Bevo game only on LHN.

So also take note here that we're closing down the $12 online sales come Friday morning and you'll have to cough up the full $15 at the door on gameday:

Iowa State BBQ Tailgate! - pingg.com