Thoughts on 2002
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 10,116, Level: 30
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    447
    Points
    10,116
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 10

    Thoughts on 2002

    #9 ranking; at Oklahoma; Gameday feature; Senaca for Heisman; blocked punt in Norman on first drive; all downhill from there. Then beating Texas at halftime only to lose. KSU took us to the woodshed; UCONN took us down in Ames [all excitment was gone before that game] I would venture to guess the 2012 team would destroy that team.

    Points of emphasis:
    1. Lack of speed at running back.
    2. Average schemes; not good enough talent to run average schemes [like running the option all year long].
    3. Lack of depth; Mac never seemed to play a lot of people.

    Any thoughts? Just can't stop thinking about it.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 34,071, Level: 56
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cabot, AR
    Posts
    1,679
    Points
    34,071
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    The disappointment was monumental but it sure was fun leading up to the OU game. Thankfully these players and coaches don't have to think about 2002 or any other year the Cyclones almost broke through into college football relevancy. Rhoads has already proven past performance does not guarantee future results.



  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 4,292, Level: 19
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    JSmoove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    2611 Helser, Louden
    Posts
    372
    Points
    4,292
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 76

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Dont forget Seneca dressed in Cesar like clothing in some of the pregame videos. Anyone else remember this?



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 259,876, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,182
    Points
    259,876
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 751

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Senaca?



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 13,648, Level: 35
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    811
    Points
    13,648
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 3

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by dbodeenisudm View Post
    #9 ranking; at Oklahoma; Gameday feature; Senaca for Heisman; blocked punt in Norman on first drive; all downhill from there. Then beating Texas at halftime only to lose. KSU took us to the woodshed; UCONN took us down in Ames [all excitment was gone before that game] I would venture to guess the 2012 team would destroy that team.

    Points of emphasis:
    1. Lack of speed at running back.
    2. Average schemes; not good enough talent to run average schemes [like running the option all year long].
    3. Lack of depth; Mac never seemed to play a lot of people.

    Any thoughts? Just can't stop thinking about it.
    Simple really. Prior to Oklahoma, teams stacked the box to stop our running game which opened up the short passing game for Seneca - which he could do well. OU said "you can't run on us even if we play you straight up". Then they took away the short passing game assuming that Seneca didn't have the arm or accuracy to beat them over the top. They were right. It turns out that we couldn't run on anybody when they played us straight up and they all deployed the same basic scheme.


    Last edited by c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s; 10-10-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: fix spelling

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 560,588, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,522
    Points
    560,588
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 190

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Senaca?
    Wallace!




  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 22,959, Level: 46
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Topshelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    852
    Points
    22,959
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 42

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Rain and cold also hurt Seneca... Small hands... That's what she said...



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 177,728, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,357
    Points
    177,728
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,601
    Given: 417

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by JSmoove View Post
    Dont forget Seneca dressed in Cesar like clothing in some of the pregame videos. Anyone else remember this?
    I remember something about Kirk Herbstreit dressing up and talking about the origins of the Greek name "Seneca" before the ISU-OU game... when he was at or near Kirk's "Heisman Watch" list...



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 27,349, Level: 50
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cloned4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,541
    Points
    27,349
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by dbodeenisudm View Post
    #9 ranking; at Oklahoma; Gameday feature; Senaca for Heisman; blocked punt in Norman on first drive; all downhill from there. Then beating Texas at halftime only to lose. KSU took us to the woodshed; UCONN took us down in Ames [all excitment was gone before that game] I would venture to guess the 2012 team would destroy that team.

    Points of emphasis:
    1. Lack of speed at running back.
    2. Average schemes; not good enough talent to run average schemes [like running the option all year long].
    3. Lack of depth; Mac never seemed to play a lot of people.

    Any thoughts? Just can't stop thinking about it.
    Not enough depth or overall talent. Seneca won or was the major reason for the 7 wins. He was a legit college stud. Solid WR crew but no gamebreakers, although Lane had decent speed and excellent hands.


    ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!


  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 27,349, Level: 50
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cloned4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,541
    Points
    27,349
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s View Post
    Simple really. Prior to Oklahoma, teams stacked the box to stop our running game which opened up the short passing game for Seneca - which he could do well. OU said "you can't run on us even if we play you straight up". Then they took away the short passing game assuming that Seneca didn't have the arm or accuracy to beat them over the top. They were right. It turns out that we couldn't run on anybody when they played us straight up and they all deployed the same basic scheme.
    Seneca had the arm AND the accuracy. That's why he's been in the NFL for so long. OU just had oodles more talent and depth. Bigger, faster, stronger, at every position.

    And as already mentioned, Seneca could not handle the ball in the rain. Small hands were an issue.


    ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!


  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 36,836, Level: 59
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MartyFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Warren Co., IA
    Posts
    1,561
    Points
    36,836
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 29

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    O-line started to decline when Loney left. Wasn't fully exposed until the OU game, although there were a number of times Seneca had to scramble and work his magic early in the year.

    I think you are being unfair to the backs. Rutland and Wagner were solid if not spectacular, but they didn't have the blocking that Davis, Davis and EH had.

    Most people remember the UCONN player saying after the game that they knew every play that we were going to run. That is usually a problem.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 26,262, Level: 49
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    southern iowa
    Posts
    2,705
    Points
    26,262
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 225

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    When Loney left and Brickey took over calling plays it started the downfall of the offense. Not to mention Marty Fine as o-line coach.


    Go Cyclones!!

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 4,292, Level: 19
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    JSmoove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    2611 Helser, Louden
    Posts
    372
    Points
    4,292
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 76

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I remember something about Kirk Herbstreit dressing up and talking about the origins of the Greek name "Seneca" before the ISU-OU game... when he was at or near Kirk's "Heisman Watch" list...
    Haha yes this is it!



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 97,211, Level: 97
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,626
    Points
    97,211
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 694

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Aside from the nuts & bolts described here regarding offensive deficiencies, a simplified perspective 10 years later is, that team just wasn't quite as good as some of the promise and excitement suggested early in the year.

    The only very good team ISU beat that season was Iowa (and we didn't know that yet, at the time); only one conference team Iowa State beat was above .500 (TT). Nebraska was a big win when it happened, but NU finished 7-7.

    UConn loss was embarrassing, yes, but there were losses to four 10-win teams.

    Perfectly mediocre.



  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,962, Level: 24
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    redrocket22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Col de la Madone
    Posts
    234
    Points
    6,962
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 15

    Re: Thoughts on 2002

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Aside from the nuts & bolts described here regarding offensive deficiencies, a simplified perspective 10 years later is, that team just wasn't quite as good as some of the promise and excitement suggested early in the year.

    The only very good team ISU beat that season was Iowa (and we didn't know that yet, at the time); only one conference team Iowa State beat was above .500 (TT). Nebraska was a big win when it happened, but NU finished 7-7.

    UConn loss was embarrassing, yes, but there were losses to four 10-win teams.

    Perfectly mediocre.
    I concur with your analysis. However, at the time - it really felt like OU stole our mojo.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM