Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 15,901, Level: 38
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 549
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    757
    Points
    15,901
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

    ISU Themed Business?

    So I've always had a dream (I say dream b/c I doubt I'll ever have the funds to follow through on it) of owning my own business. A couple ideas I have had is an ISU themed sports bar & grill or an ISU store with clothing, tailgate items, and memorbilia type things. I think one or the other or both would be very successful in the West Des Moines area out by Jordan Creek or West Glen.

    If you had the means of doing so would you have the urge to do something similar?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 111,742, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyhawkdmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CB
    Posts
    5,374
    Points
    111,742
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 110

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    Go for it... I heard a commercial over in Nubby land this morning for Husker Coffee... That is the name of the coffee.. Husker Coffee...

    these idiots will buy anything with the name husker attached to it.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 117,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,657
    Points
    117,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 401

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    I think a location in Ankeny might be better, particularly with all the infrastructure being built there. It is the new West Des Moines for the metro. And it is in better proximity for the heart of Cyclone Nation.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 440,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,980
    Points
    440,020
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 29

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    I'd love to do it but know that it probably isn't feasible for it to ever be only Iowa State stuff. There's a reason Scheels for example only carries a small amount of Iowa State merchandise: It doesn't turn over often enough to make a business out of it. Frankly I can't believe Cy's Locker Room on Duff stays in business because the place never has much traffic outside gameday.

    On the restaurant side the same thing somewhat applies. Alienating the majority of people isn't normally a good business plan. In Ames a place like Wallaby's can get away with it because there just isn't as much competition and the cost of operations is significantly lower. In West Des Moines you wouldn't be in business very long.

    Most business start ups fail so it isn't a shock if said new business fails. Most of the people who start new businesses have no business owning a business, hence why they are out of business within the first two years about 80% of the time.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 108,071, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,561
    Points
    108,071
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 179

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    You're numbers are wayyyyyy off. 80% of them don't fail. Only 75% do. Wish that your numbers were off more but that is the reality of the situation. At this point I could turn this into a thread that would head directly to the cave, but I will refrain from doing so.

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I'd love to do it but know that it probably isn't feasible for it to ever be only Iowa State stuff. There's a reason Scheels for example only carries a small amount of Iowa State merchandise: It doesn't turn over often enough to make a business out of it. Frankly I can't believe Cy's Locker Room on Duff stays in business because the place never has much traffic outside gameday.

    On the restaurant side the same thing somewhat applies. Alienating the majority of people isn't normally a good business plan. In Ames a place like Wallaby's can get away with it because there just isn't as much competition and the cost of operations is significantly lower. In West Des Moines you wouldn't be in business very long.

    Most business start ups fail so it isn't a shock if said new business fails. Most of the people who start new businesses have no business owning a business, hence why they are out of business within the first two years about 80% of the time.


    Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,522, Level: 61
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    ThatllDoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,698
    Points
    39,522
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 382

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    Depending on what type of business you want to run get some time working in the industry first. Take notes, plan and be patient. When it is time you will know. Good luck!


    “Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 40,707, Level: 62
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 943
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,251
    Points
    40,707
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 270
    Given: 357

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    I would like to think an ISU bar could make it in DSM. Hell, a ISU friendly bar, for that matter.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 15,901, Level: 38
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 549
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    757
    Points
    15,901
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    I would like to think an ISU bar could make it in DSM. Hell, a ISU friendly bar, for that matter.

    Yes an ISU "friendly" bar is kind of what I would do if I ever was able to. I think in the right location it could be a success. The clothing/accessories store was just an off idea. Somebody mentioned earlier the lack of ISU gear at Scheels and I can say with good knowledge that some of that is due to the lack of licensing ISU allows for it's trademark compared to what Iowa allows. For one reason or another Iowa State limits what it allows companies to put its logo on more than other schools.



  9. #9
    Prospect
    Points: 5,848, Level: 22
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4
    Points
    5,848
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by clone4lyfe View Post
    Yes an ISU "friendly" bar is kind of what I would do if I ever was able to. I think in the right location it could be a success. The clothing/accessories store was just an off idea. Somebody mentioned earlier the lack of ISU gear at Scheels and I can say with good knowledge that some of that is due to the lack of licensing ISU allows for it's trademark compared to what Iowa allows. For one reason or another Iowa State limits what it allows companies to put its logo on more than other schools.
    Seriously? Where are you getting your facts? Why would the university limit licensing products? That would be like shooting yourself in the foot. I know for a FACT that ISU does NOT limit it's licensing and has the same vendors licensed that Iowa has. It's not the university's choice as to what a retailer puts on their shelves. That is YOU, the consumer, that draws demand. You want more ISU product at Scheels or any other retailer, YOU have to DEMAND it! I'm sure that ISU is sick of being a scapegoat for idiots that have no idea how licensing works or how hard they try to get more shelve space for ISU product. Anyone with half a brain would know ISU can't walk into a store and say "put more ISU product on the shelf" without NUMBERS to show it will sell. It's business and a business decision that comes from a retailers corporate office most often far, far, away from where a retail store is actually located. Trust me, ISU will get there and once again become THE CYCLONE STATE but WE need to demand our product in the retail market and then BUY IT!



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 440,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,980
    Points
    440,020
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 29

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by clone4lyfe View Post
    Somebody mentioned earlier the lack of ISU gear at Scheels and I can say with good knowledge that some of that is due to the lack of licensing ISU allows for it's trademark compared to what Iowa allows. For one reason or another Iowa State limits what it allows companies to put its logo on more than other schools.
    You're wrong here. Iowa State doesn't turn down squat for vendors. A buddy of mine works directly with the trademark/licensing office. Unfortunately Iowa sells more than we do (not totally surprising because of the difference in fanbase sizes) and inventory moves faster. That makes for an easy business decision of which to carry more of. Our royalties collected has gone up about 50% since Jamie took over as the AD but it still doesn't get remotely close to Iowa's.

    Some of the disparity is due to the BTN versus our TV contract but the rest is royalties:

    NCAA college athletics department finances database



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 101,531, Level: 99
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,519
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,178
    Points
    101,531
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 24

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    Wow, I've never seen anyone get more worked up over collegiate licensing.



    Quote Originally Posted by CloneCat View Post
    Seriously? Where are you getting your facts? Why would the university limit licensing products? That would be like shooting yourself in the foot. I know for a FACT that ISU does NOT limit it's licensing and has the same vendors licensed that Iowa has. It's not the university's choice as to what a retailer puts on their shelves. That is YOU, the consumer, that draws demand. You want more ISU product at Scheels or any other retailer, YOU have to DEMAND it! I'm sure that ISU is sick of being a scapegoat for idiots that have no idea how licensing works or how hard they try to get more shelve space for ISU product. Anyone with half a brain would know ISU can't walk into a store and say "put more ISU product on the shelf" without NUMBERS to show it will sell. It's business and a business decision that comes from a retailers corporate office most often far, far, away from where a retail store is actually located. Trust me, ISU will get there and once again become THE CYCLONE STATE but WE need to demand our product in the retail market and then BUY IT!



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 419,907, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,579
    Points
    419,907
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 635
    Given: 310

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    What i don't get is why i pretty regularly see online stores with collegiate stuff, and while they'll have stuff for a ton of universitites with smaller draw than ISU, they won't have ISU. So i know its not a 'what will sell' thing in those cases... and that points me to licensing. And i've heard more than once at various points that our licensing isn't the easiest to work with.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 28,164, Level: 51
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyclones01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    1,619
    Points
    28,164
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 365

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by clone4lyfe View Post
    Yes an ISU "friendly" bar is kind of what I would do if I ever was able to. I think in the right location it could be a success. The clothing/accessories store was just an off idea. Somebody mentioned earlier the lack of ISU gear at Scheels and I can say with good knowledge that some of that is due to the lack of licensing ISU allows for it's trademark compared to what Iowa allows. For one reason or another Iowa State limits what it allows companies to put its logo on more than other schools.
    If a new ISU "friendly" bar opened up in Ankeny, I would probably be there every away game.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 405,152, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,379
    Points
    405,152
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 494

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    I would like to think an ISU bar could make it in DSM. Hell, a ISU friendly bar, for that matter.
    Couple Husker ballplayers bought a bar (Johnny Rogers) and a restaurant (Scott Frost) and they lasted 3-8 years in Omaha. What lasted was Husker Hounds merchandise. Now, my idea is to combine the two. Why not sell beer and T shirts at the same place?


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 26,863, Level: 50
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,170
    Points
    26,863
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 96

    Re: ISU Themed Business?

    I would invite former players to be the guests and gave their inputs during the game or just have a "pre-game' conversation. I even think during the ISU-EIU game, if you can invite former Hoks and Cyclone players who used to face each other, that'll be fun.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. Texas Tech
  • November 22, 2014
  • 02:30 PM