Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,022
    Given: 247

Speechless
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,535
    Given: 729

Re: Monday Musings: Oct. 8, 2012 Edition

I agree. I am way less nervous during a game like that than I used to be. I think the key is that Rhoads' teams have gotten over the top on really good teams a few times before, and have no reason to believe that they won't do so again. I'm lagging a bit from the team, but then I've been a Cyclone fan since before all these kids were born, so I've witnessed ten times the amount of last second heartbreakers than they have.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

I will admit that I got on Coach Mess during and after the Tech game. I also believe that our issues were mostly QB related (and offensive line), but I still don't like the way he called that game. He did a MUCH better job against TCU with a better QB for this team. The Tech game is one I wish we had back and I bet Coach Mess feels the same way.

Addict
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 524
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 481

I saw quite a bit of the KSU game on Saturday and was surprised how much success KU had running the ball between the tackles. And I couldn't believe it but Klein actually fumbled and was shaken up for a couple plays, he's human after all. Going to take a great game from both sides of the ball but I expect this game to go down to the last possession.

"But let’s see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 6

This might be the most intense Big12 game outta the gate that I can remember.....

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 168

"Does anybody else think that TCU’s young quarterback Trevon Boykin is going to be a damn good player in a year or two? Something tells me that won’t be the last that we’ve seen of that guy."

Yes, Chris I do. I was at the game and came away impressed. He is extremely mobile and didn't have a stellar game but it wasn't all his fault either. The guy took a beating from our D and kept coming back. Had quite a few good rushes up the middle.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,184
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 57

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    This might be the most intense Big12 game outta the gate that I can remember.....
    Yep, it's gonna be brutal and I can't wait. I'm looking forward to a good ole fashion slobber knocker.

"Watch out for the Cyclones. We comin," Korie Lucious.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    "Does anybody else think that TCU’s young quarterback Trevon Boykin is going to be a damn good player in a year or two? Something tells me that won’t be the last that we’ve seen of that guy."

Yes, Chris I do. I was at the game and came away impressed. He is extremely mobile and didn't have a stellar game but it wasn't all his fault either. The guy took a beating from our D and kept coming back. Had quite a few good rushes up the middle.

I thought out loud during the game, "if he doesn't burn us this game, he will next year." My daughter proceeded to bring me a book of matches.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 11

I agree with your over the hump sentiment and there are a lot of factors going into it. We have established a pattern of being solid, if not great. We're a stable .500 type of program rather than a doormat. The national media don't pay attention to the goings-on inside the depth of the conferences to recognize this, but Iowa State is moving into the middle of the pack. It's a dogfight in that pack, but it's clear we are a notch above where we used to be.

The talent level may not be off the charts but we have more depth of talent than I can ever recall. There are lots of goof young players on this team, so the foundation is really in place. We still lack high level talent in a couple of key areas, but on the whole, our guys could play for other middle of the pack teams in the Big12. That's a huge accomplishment from where we used to be.

On defense, we're better coached and schemed than we have been in many, many years. We're seeing the polar extremes in just a handful of years moving from Bolt's horrific defenses to Burnham's magical ones. I still have concerns about how parts of our offense are coached but on the whole we're closer to Loney than Brickey here.

When you look across the whole Athletic Department, you see great coaches and great people everywhere and that just gives you confidence. Huge credit to Pollard to turning around a department that I thought would probably be brushed to the ashheap in all this madness with the conferences/BCS. Fans and even non-fans can sense when they are around a well-run athletic department and it comes through, at least to me, in what we have at Iowa State.

People, not just fans, are starting to buy-in and believe. I think we're seeing more bandwagon folks coming on board. Between this and the new TV money, you have to believe we will see the SEZ project get scheduled in the next few years (no idea if it's next year or 2-3 years). There is palpable momentum with the program and a very real chance here in the next couple of years to take advantage of some the neighboring programs declining. We had this chance before and blew it and I think it led to Missouri's renaissance, so my hope is that history isn't repeated in that. I'd like to be the ones who profit from these teams thinking there's greener pastures in the SEC or BiGTen.

On the whole, I think we're on the upswing particularly compared to some other programs/departments I have viewed with some envy at times in the past. It's nice to be 'on the rise'. I'm just going to enjoy the ride as best I can, and try to shed the Charlie Brown-Lucy syndrome that resides within me. If you're a fan older than mid-30s you know what I mean. We're getting close to walking up and grabbing the football from that little byotch - can't you just feel it? I think we're going to get there. I'm starting to BELIEVE.

Cheers

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclophile1 View Post
    I agree with your over the hump sentiment and there are a lot of factors going into it. We have established a pattern of being solid, if not great. We're a stable .500 type of program rather than a doormat. The national media don't pay attention to the goings-on inside the depth of the conferences to recognize this, but Iowa State is moving into the middle of the pack. It's a dogfight in that pack, but it's clear we are a notch above where we used to be.

The talent level may not be off the charts but we have more depth of talent than I can ever recall. There are lots of goof young players on this team, so the foundation is really in place. We still lack high level talent in a couple of key areas, but on the whole, our guys could play for other middle of the pack teams in the Big12. That's a huge accomplishment from where we used to be.

On defense, we're better coached and schemed than we have been in many, many years. We're seeing the polar extremes in just a handful of years moving from Bolt's horrific defenses to Burnham's magical ones. I still have concerns about how parts of our offense are coached but on the whole we're closer to Loney than Brickey here.

When you look across the whole Athletic Department, you see great coaches and great people everywhere and that just gives you confidence. Huge credit to Pollard to turning around a department that I thought would probably be brushed to the ashheap in all this madness with the conferences/BCS. Fans and even non-fans can sense when they are around a well-run athletic department and it comes through, at least to me, in what we have at Iowa State.

People, not just fans, are starting to buy-in and believe. I think we're seeing more bandwagon folks coming on board. Between this and the new TV money, you have to believe we will see the SEZ project get scheduled in the next few years (no idea if it's next year or 2-3 years). There is palpable momentum with the program and a very real chance here in the next couple of years to take advantage of some the neighboring programs declining. We had this chance before and blew it and I think it led to Missouri's renaissance, so my hope is that history isn't repeated in that. I'd like to be the ones who profit from these teams thinking there's greener pastures in the SEC or BiGTen.

On the whole, I think we're on the upswing particularly compared to some other programs/departments I have viewed with some envy at times in the past. It's nice to be 'on the rise'. I'm just going to enjoy the ride as best I can, and try to shed the Charlie Brown-Lucy syndrome that resides within me. If you're a fan older than mid-30s you know what I mean. We're getting close to walking up and grabbing the football from that little byotch - can't you just feel it? I think we're going to get there. I'm starting to BELIEVE.

Cheers
    great post.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Recruit
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Two things ... I took a shot at Messingham after last week. I'm going to stick to it. I think the offense we tried to run against Tech wasn't working with Jantz. Execution was beyond poor, but Messingham has to make some type of adjustment to the play calling. The TCU game quickly proved that Jantz isn't the guy with this offense. If that's the case then why was he recruited, and why did we start him over Barnett last season AND the first 4 games of this season?

Second ... Kansas State is a team and program that ISU should view as the next step. Make up for a lack of talent with guts, development and coaching. ISU might not be able to out recruit Texas and OU, but we can out work them!

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCY23 View Post
    Yep, it's gonna be brutal and I can't wait. I'm looking forward to a good ole fashion slobber knocker.
    I have several K-State friends down here that know we have unfinished business with them. I'm looking forward to this game and want to feel good. It's just that Snaggletooth always seems to have that team improving. I can't stand that. I think the talent is comparable overall, so we should have a decent chance. That old bastard just might be one of the best handful of D1 coaches of all time, when you factor in all aspects of a program. Should be an old fashioned fist fight at this point, and I hope we're ready.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,473
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 193

I agree CW, I think Boynkin will be a very good ball player and it might be before the end of this season. He is going to dynamic as can be and if he can stop telegraphing his passes (INTs to Washington and Knott) he will be dangerous.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    I agree CW, I think Boynkin will be a very good ball player and it might be before the end of this season. He is going to dynamic as can be and if he can stop telegraphing his passes (INTs to Washington and Knott) he will be dangerous.
    I guess I'm the lone ranger who's not on the Boykin Bandwagon. Yes he was very mobile and shifty but did you see that throwing motion? It looked Taylor Martinez-esque.

Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,375
    Given: 2,877

Good stuff Cyclophile1!

As to our talent level, I agree with your statements. We have really built some good quality depth at a lot of positions. That is huge, especially considering where we started after McCarney and in the Chizik years.

The Texas' and OUs of the world can bring in Freshmen would can start and be studs for multiple years. At ISU, we have to develop guys and that's where depth pays off. We have to get the most out of all 85 schollies. In the end, our Redshirt Juniors and Seniors can play as well as a their true Sophmores.
    One thing that will help push us past the .500 level and beyond, is to start getting some BIG recruits, the cherries on top of the sundae that CPR and co have recruited and developed recently. We don't have to get 4 stars at every position, but getting a standout WR or other skill player to come in could help the offense really light it up and help our chances against the OUs and UTs of the world.