Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Lions for Lambs movie - warning

I had the day off today, so I went to see the movie Lions for Lambs. I was expecting a suspense/thriller type movie, but it wasn't anythiing like that. It was a very cerebral movie that made you think a lot. I really enjoyed it, though, and I highly recommend it. However, if you're looking for a real suspense movie, you'lll be disappointed.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Re: Lions for Lambs movie - warning

A coworker told me it was a Tom Cruise / Meryl Streep preachfest against the current administration.

Does it belong in the Politics cave? If so, I'm out.

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

From what i understand, this is Robert Redford's positioning against the current administration. I was actually wanting to see this movie at first.....until i found out it was a Politically slanted endorsement of Liberals.

Don't get me wrong - vote your mind, but i am tired of seeing this stuff in popular media.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Actually, it isn't a left-wing propoganda type movie - at least I didn't see it that way. It's much more a sad commentary on the apathy in our country and how today's politicians count on that apathy to get their way with things. Tom Cruise plays a conservative senator who is very hawkish, so you get to hear the right-wing perspective throughout the movie. Robert Redford plays a California professor who's trying to get an under-achieving smart student to get involved in the political scene and become a force for change. He's not preaching liberal propoganda, he's just trying to get his students to impact their country instead of sitting back and letting their destiny be controlled by others. I think it's a great movie for liberals and conservatives alike!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

Sounds like we will have apathy for this movie also.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 2

It got a really bad review in our paper this morning. Said everybody was yelling at one another about how the war on terror was going badly. Tell me something I don't already know!

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

That be the Hundred Year War on Terror. Buckle down, maties, remember how long the Crusades lasted.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 619

I've basically been anti-Meryl Streep ever since her drunken-studdering rant-and-rave against not just the current administration but basically all Republicans during her award ceremony speech several years back. She's basically been blacklisted by me in the same fashion that Jane Fonda has.

Honestly - why can't some people just thank God, their family, their directors, co-stars, and fans, in that order, like the rest of the grateful award recipients do?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 13

I love the way that the Hippie journalist is portrayed as the actual "expert" on what our military should do.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 13

Is it possible for us to stop a pass?

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cloneaholic View Post
    Actually, it isn't a left-wing propoganda type movie - at least I didn't see it that way. It's much more a sad commentary on the apathy in our country and how today's politicians count on that apathy to get their way with things. Tom Cruise plays a conservative senator who is very hawkish, so you get to hear the right-wing perspective throughout the movie. Robert Redford plays a California professor who's trying to get an under-achieving smart student to get involved in the political scene and become a force for change. He's not preaching liberal propoganda, he's just trying to get his students to impact their country instead of sitting back and letting their destiny be controlled by others. I think it's a great movie for liberals and conservatives alike!
    Liberal propaganda IS the idea that the only way you can contribute to your country, is to become a politician. (Read as crooked, top-down, people need to be "ruled" by their "betters" oligarchy politics.)

A conservative professor would convince his student to actually WORK FOR A LIVING! And then, once he/she has some REAL FRICKIN' WORLD EXPERIENCE, perhaps they could impact politics in a constructive manner. If there is something I hate more than a hippy, it's a college-aged political activist.

Waaaaay too many professional political hacks out there, right and left. But mostly left.

I would bet CyCash that Cruise's character does NOT espouse true conservative ideals. I would bet that he spews the straw-man crap the left-wing whackos like to SAY are conservative ideals.

Hollywood can sit and spin, as far as I'm concerned.

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Oh boy, if that reviewer said it's bad, it must be. BS. People who review media for a living are the ones who aren't good enough at doing it, or are too narrowminded to get a job doing anything but spouting their opinion off left and right. I don't even read movie reviews anymore. Either pay to see the movie, or don't talk about it. But at least formulate your own opinion.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,534
    Given: 729

I don't do propaganda movies.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    Liberal propaganda IS the idea that the only way you can contribute to your country, is to become a politician. (Read as crooked, top-down, people need to be "ruled" by their "betters" oligarchy politics.)

A conservative professor would convince his student to actually WORK FOR A LIVING! And then, once he/she has some REAL FRICKIN' WORLD EXPERIENCE, perhaps they could impact politics in a constructive manner. If there is something I hate more than a hippy, it's a college-aged political activist.

Waaaaay too many professional political hacks out there, right and left. But mostly left.

I would bet CyCash that Cruise's character does NOT espouse true conservative ideals. I would bet that he spews the straw-man crap the left-wing whackos like to SAY are conservative ideals.

Herbiedoobie,
    I liked the movie because it made me THINK and because it presented both ends of the political spectrum. But more than anything else, it reminded me of how almost everyone in this country feels almost powerless to affect change. Liberals are so caught up in bashing conservatives, and vice versa, that NOTHING constructive is getting done in Washington. It's all about one party gaining control and doing everything possible to maintain that control, even at the expense of our country's best interests. I'm so sick of all the partisanship - it just insures the status quo. If we as average citizens don't take back control of our country, the politicians will continue to keep it by default. So you can go ahead and be cynical or you can try to be a force for change, regardless on which end of the political spectrum you fall. God knows we need some serious change soon or our children will be forced to live in the mess that we created. Sorry for the sermon.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 772
    Given: 3,096

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post

Why say "left-wing whackos"? I'm very liberal, but I think that, like some conservatives, there's a way to be rational and balanced, to see the other side of the issue. I may be "whacko" about some things (Cyclone sports, for example), but am very level-headed about politics. Not everything has to be a volatile, "us vs. them" issue. The whole point of politics is to try and come together for the good of the nation - and it sounds like, on some level, that's what this movie intended to do. I've not seen it, so I can't say whether or not it accomplished it, but I think retaining an open mind is at least fair...

Forgive me if I seem overly idealistic, but I just don't think strict partisanship solves anything. I absolutely understand your point, but just know that I don't resemble that phrase, and think it's a little hard to make an umbrella statement like that about anything.

M 7/09