Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

Offensive Philosiphy Direction & Communication

I am a big supporter of CPR and the direction of the football team but I keep seeing a disconnect between what CPR and Mess are saying around the QB position and what they are doing on the field on Saturdays.

CPR and Mess in the post practive video from today and everyday more or less states that Steele is the guy because he is a better passer. No ifs ands or buts about it seems. Steele has a better arm and timing that JB so that is why he is playing.

However both have stated the primary attack for the clones is the run game. We all know JB feels more comfortable with the zone read run attack. Not that Steele is not capable but just JB has more yrs of running that play under his belt.

If the coaches are putting in Steele to run the offense why are they not taking advantage of his better passing abilities and using that to queue up the run game. Our best series on Offense with Steele in the game have down field passing involved and some timley runs by the RBs and occasionally Steele.

Seems like one of two things has to happen.
    1. Steele reamins the QB and ISU has to take more shots in the passing game and rely less on the zone read game
    2. ISU sticks to the heavy zone read run game and you put in JB and throw the ball less.

Anyone else feel like Mess is not using his personell effectively?

Smoke um if you got um

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 628

Re: Offensive Philosiphy Direction & Communication

Holy English as a third language batman!

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Have to type in 20 second spurts while at work. Gets tricky to keep a thought going.

Smoke um if you got um

Recruit
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

I think the personnel needs to execute... With that said Messingham needs to put his players in a position to succeed. If Jantz struggles with the zone read and needs to be more of a down field passer with less "options" then Messingham needs to make that adjustment. I didn't watch the game against Tech, but my guess is that we trying to execute the game plan. It didn't work. Watch the film and move on...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

No quarterback would have succeeded behind that offensive line on Saturday. Passing, running, whatever.

Everything begins and ends in the trenches and Tech thoroughly dominated us there.

What's more concerning to me is how the play calls and protections are getting from the backfield to the line. On the same drive you had Farniok run block on the pass to Jarvis (resulting in the ineligible player call) and Burris down block on 3rd down and releasing his end completely free and resulting in scramble/thrown away ball by Jantz.

THAT needs fixed more than our quarterback situation.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

I agree that the lines, both offensive and defensive are some of the most important positions on the field. A good OL will make an average backfield look good by opening holes and giving them time. I thought there was a lot of talk about how good the OL was going to be this year...I'm just not seeing it so far

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    No quarterback would have succeeded behind that offensive line on Saturday. Passing, running, whatever.

Everything begins and ends in the trenches and Tech thoroughly dominated us there.

What's more concerning to me is how the play calls and protections are getting from the backfield to the line. On the same drive you had Farniok run block on the pass to Jarvis (resulting in the ineligible player call) and Burris down block on 3rd down and releasing his end completely free and resulting in scramble/thrown away ball by Jantz.

I think that play would have been huge for the clones had it not been brought back. Think Mess would have had more confidence in throwing the ball down the field the remainder of the game and their corners might have played off a bit. (all speculation though)

Smoke um if you got um

Rookie
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 49

I disagree that the Oline is primarily to blame. This offense requires long blocks that only a line with several AAs could make. It also is built on letting certain d-linemen loose and having the QB/skill player react. When it is that "free" lineman who is always disrupting the play, the problem is with the scheme and/or the skill player.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

I don't think anybody knows the answer.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Land Grant View Post
    I disagree that the Oline is primarily to blame. This offense requires long blocks that only a line with several AAs could make. It also is built on letting certain d-linemen loose and having the QB/skill player react. When it is that "free" lineman who is always disrupting the play, the problem is with the scheme and/or the skill player.
    This offense doesn't require longer blocks than any other offense does. When they rush 5 and get pressure that's a problem on the line. The scheme itself is built so that you don't have to have better skill players at 8 or 9 of the positions for success. When the communication within the line and also among the people in the backfield and line allows for free runners at the quarterback off the edge as the tackle pass blocks to the inside, that's a line problem. When the quarterback runs and looks for a block and the tight end waits for the defender to run the five yards to him before he completely wiffs on the block, that's a line problem.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Does the offense have any quick hit type run plays to catch the defense off guard when putting lots of pressure on. I know in the NFL they run tons of RB screens when this happens is that the norm?

Smoke um if you got um

Legend
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 860
    Given: 1,496

Exactly. This has to be fixed. Steele had more sacks than completions for much of the game on Saturday, and while some lineman just got beat, much of the times guys just didn't get picked up. I can't really figure out what was going wrong, but something was.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 690
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 293
    Given: 390

I thought that Steele came out and was unable to hit open receivers. One overthrow to the sidelines and one short pass to the right. Sorry I don't have more detail. Because of this we went to strictly running the ball, and TT just loaded up on it and crushed it. So IMO the QB could not execute the game plan. I watched from home, and to me it looked like Steele was unable to settle down and play to the speed of the game. He looked like he was in a hurry and too amped up. That is a big issue to have after as many starts as he has had.

I would split time between Jantz, Barnett and even Richardson until we can execute on the field. We saw a lot o this in his first year with Tiller and Barnett getting snaps. I don't think we should move away from it as we have a QB competition anyway.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

Legend
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 628

On Steele's overthrow on the screen play near the beginning I'm pretty sure he saw the route being jumped by the d-back and added some steam to the ball so it would go out of bounds rather than be an INT. I'm also pretty sure that's why we didn't go back to the screen the rest of the game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 690
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 293
    Given: 390

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    On Steele's overthrow on the screen play near the beginning I'm pretty sure he saw the route being jumped by the d-back and added some steam to the ball so it would go out of bounds rather than be an INT. I'm also pretty sure that's why we didn't go back to the screen the rest of the game.
    Could be, have not seen the replay. Also, what is the name of the two back set we were running in the 2nd half? That looked like a much better formation for us and worked.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts