Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Turning the corner

I have come to believe that the mythical corner that we keep waiting to turn is actually a round-about, and like a tourist in Europe, we have no clue on how to exit. I do find solace in that we are no longer a 'bad' program, but I will stop hoping that we will be a good program until we win games like the TT game. The high from the upsets is awesome, but the crash from games like this last Saturday are starting to take their toll. I can handle a loss, just not one where we do not look competitive.

Last edited by im4isu; 10-01-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    Dogs look up to you, cats look down at you, give me a pig. They just look you in the eyes and treat you as an equal - churchill

Addict
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 215

Re: Turning the corner

Look kids...Big Ben....Parlement....Look kids....Big Ben...Parlement...Look kids...

CCG

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 25

I think this meltdown over losing to a solid Big 12 team by 13 points is a sign that we have/are turning the corner. In many years past, we would have been thrilled to play TT that close.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

Actually, we've turned a couple of corners. Our defense turned right and our offense did a u-turn.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by farminclone View Post
    I think this meltdown over losing to a solid Big 12 team by 13 points is a sign that we have/are turning the corner. In many years past, we would have been thrilled to play TT that close.
    I'm not ready to call Texas Tech "solid". I really hope they're that good defensively, but I think the unfortunate truth is that we're just that bad.

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 5

If your looking for some magical corner to be turned, you better pick a new team. I hope we can be a team that can get to 8/9 wins once every 5 or ten years, with 4/5/6/7 win seasons being the norm. Consider the challenges:

- Northern most Big 12 school (difficult for recruiting)
    - Not much instate talent
    - Good school that actually has standards for JUCO's (cough, Texas Tech, cough, KState)
    - Behind in facilities arms race with top half of Big 12 (and doubt we ever move into top half)
    - 2nd most popular school instate (and surrounded by Minnesota, Iowa, Mizzou and Nebraska in local recruiting wars).
    - 9 game conf schedule is ridiculous. Plus we have Iowa each year.
    - Seems we are still viewed as a stepping stone for a good coach. Anybody that builds sustained success will leave.

I guess the fact that we can hang with anybody and go to bowl games 50% of the time would make me pretty damn happy. Maybe I'm too "accepting" but you have to look at the big picture. I think people are jumping off the ledge way too damn early. There are 8 games left.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 174

Quote Originally Posted by im4isu View Post
    I have come to believe that the mythical corner that we keep waiting to turn is actually a round-about, and like a tourist in Europe, we have no clue on how to exit. I do find solace in that we are no longer a 'bad' program, but I will stop hoping that we will be a good program until we win games like the TT game. The higho from the upsets is awesome, but the crash from games like this last Saturday are starting to take their toll. I can handle a loss, just not one where we do not look competitive.
    This is the frustrating part and I agree with you completely. The fact that we keep having winnable games, that we just don't show up for is taking it's toll on me as well. Everyone keeps telling me, "Meh, it was a loss, no big deal." but it's not really the loss that's bothering me. It's the utter can complete laying of eggs that is so frustrating. I feel we were lucky it was TTU, or we probaby would have seen one of those glorious 53-0 games.

I am actually fairly confident that we will win more games. The problem is, I'm still going to be looking for us to come out and do this again and again and again... you get the point. I mean most important drive of the game and you forget to bring the ball with you on your roll out? It's just more of that, "Only at ISU" type of play that is beyond frustrating and becoming disturbing.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    I'm not ready to call Texas Tech "solid". I really hope they're that good defensively, but I think the unfortunate truth is that we're just that bad.
    I think they will win 8 games. (KU, OKST, BAY and one other toss-up/upset) I'd call that solid.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 875
    Given: 420

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    Actually, we've turned a couple of corners. Our defense turned right and our offense did a u-turn.
    I think our offense got in an accident a couple miles (years) back on the road and is still awaiting a tow.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 174

True, but it's really the play of the O that I think is causing the real meltdown, not the fact that we lost. It's especially frustrating when our D looks like it could be one of the best in the conference and our O looks like it would have trouble moving the ball against a Junior High team.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 935

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    I'm guessing it looked something like this?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 17

It just seems that when we have a good D our Offense stinks. Turning the corner must be one hell of long corner. We have turned the corner in attendance and buzz, but not in victories or going to better bowl games. I just look at Kstate and go why in the hell cant we do that.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 935

Quote Originally Posted by scyclonekid View Post
    It just seems that when we have a good D our Offense stinks. Turning the corner must be one hell of long corner. We have turned the corner in attendance and buzz, but not in victories or going to better bowl games. I just look at Kstate and go why in the hell cant we do that.
    I think the better question is why is it that Iowa, a school just 130 or so miles away from Ames, can recruit and regularly produce NFL-caliber offensive linemen that are regularly drafted, while the only OL I can remember ISU sending to the NFL is KO?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    True, but it's really the play of the O that I think is causing the real meltdown, not the fact that we lost. It's especially frustrating when our D looks like it could be one of the best in the conference and our O looks like it would have trouble moving the ball against a Junior High team.
    We're on the verge of wasting an opportunity - with as good as this defense is - to actually turn the corner this year. You aren't going to get an opportunity to hold many Big12 teams not named Kansas to under 28 points. Conventional wisdom suggests that what separates good teams from great teams, are defense and special teams. The missed PAT aside, we certainly have those covered with our defense and out punting with Kirby. The offense is so sub-par when pressured based on what we have seen to-date, we're running the risk of blowing a chance to do it. I'm not writing off the season, but my sense is that we are teetering and something is going to nudge us in a positive or negative direction. We need a big comeback week and a win at TCU. Get that and we're back on track. A loss and we're going to be in some doodoo, and depending on HOW we look doing it, it could be deep doodoo. We need CPR to fire these guys up and work the magic. I don't think TCU is anything special having watched them twice now, so it can be done. We need some Rhoads mojo this week.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 28

I think they will win 8 games. (KU, OKST, BAY and one other toss-up/upset) I'd call that solid.
    I would too... if it happens. They could still be a 2-3 win team is what I'm saying. Regardless, we dropped a game that we had a chance to win, and that is a difficult loss.