Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Positive Football Thread

Just wanted to share my positive experience from Saturday and this weekend. TheBentStick was kind enough to bless me with two free tickets to the game, so I left work early on Friday and drove the 6 hours back to Central Iowa for some quality time with the family and Cyclone football. The only thing that could have made for a better weekend was if the offense (offensive line to be specific) would have decided to show up.

My parents were season ticket holders throughout the 70s, 80s, and 90s, as well as the early part of this century, but when they became semi-retired, they spent less time in Central Iowa and began missing several games each year, so they finally didn't renew their tickets during Chizik's last season. I'm guessing they had watched so much bad to mediocre football over the years that they finally had enough! That was also the same season that I did not renew season tickets as well, due to needing to pay off a wedding. We know how that turned out...

Besides the outcome of the game, it was the perfect early autumn day in Iowa -- sunshine and warm (but not hot) tempreratures. My dad and I tailgated all afternoon, enjoying some beers while laughing and sharing stories about the times we both had as students at ISU and all the memories we have of Cyclone athletics. The pregame atmosphere was great, and I didn't let him know that I noticed it, but there was a tear on Dad's cheek when the crowd erupted as Smoke on the Water played and the team came out on the field.

If someone were to tell me that I could watch as many ISU games with my father as I wanted, but ISU would lose every single one, I'm pretty sure I would sill choose to suffer the loss to enjoy that time together. We should all treasure the time we have with our parents; I realize this more and more as I get older. Don't wait until it is too late!

Before anyone else says them: 1) TLDR 2) Cool story, bro.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 976
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 83

Re: Positive Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndCyCE View Post
    Just wanted to share my positive experience from Saturday and this weekend. TheBentStick was kind enough to bless me with two free tickets to the game, so I left work early on Friday and drove the 6 hours back to Central Iowa for some quality time with the family and Cyclone football. The only thing that could have made for a better weekend was if the offense (offensive line to be specific) would have decided to show up.

My parents were season ticket holders throughout the 70s, 80s, and 90s, as well as the early part of this century, but when they became semi-retired, they spent less time in Central Iowa and began missing several games each year, so they finally didn't renew their tickets during Chizik's last season. I'm guessing they had watched so much bad to mediocre football over the years that they finally had enough! That was also the same season that I did not renew season tickets as well, due to needing to pay off a wedding. We know how that turned out...

Besides the outcome of the game, it was the perfect early autumn day in Iowa -- sunshine and warm (but not hot) tempreratures. My dad and I tailgated all afternoon, enjoying some beers while laughing and sharing stories about the times we both had as students at ISU and all the memories we have of Cyclone athletics. The pregame atmosphere was great, and I didn't let him know that I noticed it, but there was a tear on Dad's cheek when the crowd erupted as Smoke on the Water played and the team came out on the field.

If someone were to tell me that I could watch as many ISU games with my father as I wanted, but ISU would lose every single one, I'm pretty sure I would sill choose to suffer the loss to enjoy that time together. We should all treasure the time we have with our parents; I realize this more and more as I get older. Don't wait until it is too late!

Before anyone else says them: 1) TLDR 2) Cool story, bro.
    If anyone else does say it, **** 'em. Very cool story. I wish my dad were still alive for this very reason.

Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 11

Good post!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 2

Thanks for sharing. It nice to hear some postives from Saturday.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 110

Great story. Its hard to say sometimes, but its just a game. Memories built with family are way more important.

KFitzy87

Glad to hear you had a good day with your dad!

Starter
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 17

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

Addict