Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

We are not going to win many games without startng a wide receiver taller than 6 ft

This is a problem that needs to be fixed, it does look like we are recruiting a little bit better for taller wide receivers..

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Re: We are not going to win many games without startng a wide receiver taller than 6

I don't think height is the problem as much as strength. The receivers could not get of the jam all night and were actually forced to the ground MANY times. There is no excuse for that. One play in particular we had three receivers, two went to the ground and the other was locked up. No wonder Jantz struggled.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Re: We are not going to win many games without startng a wide receiver taller than 6

The problem with small receivers is two-fold. First of all they're easier to jam at the line of scrimmage as we obviously experienced Saturday night. Second issue is that the margin for error throwing to them is a lot smaller than throwing to a guy who is 6" taller (which on someone like Jarvis West is all of 6'0" tall) with 6" of added wingspan.

Prospect
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I don't think height is the issue either. I watched severl times when Jantz was forced out of the pocket and not once did I see a receiver come back for the ball. People were screaming, so and so is wide open and maybe they were but they were 40 yards downfield in the middle of the field which is an extremely difficult throw and one that should never be made. The other issue I had and this is on the play calling is why were we not sending anyone in motion ever? Why not send Jarvis West in motion to hold the linebackers a little longer? They were stacking the box all night long and we did nothing to take them out of it. In my opinion it was a play calling disaster and the O-line never got any help. No tight ends chipping or multiple running backs with one staying in to block. I was one who was excited to see Herman go, but so far Mess has been a dissapointment.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Joshcyclone View Post
    I don't think height is the issue either. I watched severl times when Jantz was forced out of the pocket and not once did I see a receiver come back for the ball. People were screaming, so and so is wide open and maybe they were but they were 40 yards downfield in the middle of the field which is an extremely difficult throw and one that should never be made. The other issue I had and this is on the play calling is why were we not sending anyone in motion ever? Why not send Jarvis West in motion to hold the linebackers a little longer? They were stacking the box all night long and we did nothing to take them out of it. In my opinion it was a play calling disaster and the O-line never got any help. No tight ends chipping or multiple running backs with one staying in to block. I was one who was excited to see Herman go, but so far Mess has been a dissapointment.
    YES! Those were two things I noticed too! The opposite side receivers tended to just give up when Steele started to scramble, WTF? People in my section were screaming a guy was "wide open" too, but in reality he had a safety within 10 yards of him, 40 yards downfield who both could have closed that gap easily.

Have we had a receiver in motion all season?

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

This

Legend
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,135
    Given: 64

I'm not sure why people thought we'd have any more success with a different guy running a secondhand offense.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 32

size is definitely an issue. it matters at every position on offense and defense. its not impossible to overcome, but when you play a physical defense who jams your WR and dares you to throw the ball down the field, youre going to be exposed.

(Every offense) could use a guy like marvin mcnutt. A tall, fast game-breaker that can stretch the field vertically. We haven't had that since probably todd blythe.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 829
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 23

Size wouldn't be an issue if you had more speed. Size is nice, but it has to be coupled with speed.

I see the speed issues actually when we catch the ball, we are always caught from behind. We need some blazers along with our possesion receivers, it seems we have a bunch of possesion recievers and no blazers. Yet we predicate our passing game with shallow passes in the flat - hoping our receivers can make a move and get more yards or break a big play, can you remember any of the hundreds of shallow passes we have thrown over the last two years resulting in a big play (25+ yards)? I can't.

But when we throw the ball to James White, he has had some decent catch and runs because he is quicker then our receivers and can make guys miss.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH BILLY SELF!

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

We need more size simply b/c our small guys aren't that fast. It must have been nice for Doege to throw that one in the back of the endzone knowing his tall Wide Receiver could go up and make a play for him.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 196

I think we need a new quarterback who is 7' tall at least! That way he can see all those little receivers who are wide open!

Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Prospect
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

[QUOTE=Clones85';3080958]We need more size simply b/c our small guys aren't that fast. It must have been nice for Doege to throw that one in the back of the endzone knowing his tall Wide Receiver could go up and make a play for him.[/QUOTE
    Size does help in the redzone and we have some size, Tiller. I'm not saying he's a great receiver but so far he's caught everything thrown his way and I believe he's 6'3" or so?! Why have we not seen one fade to him in the back of the endzone when in the redzone? Also, with them getting pressure why didn't we run a screen pass until 2 minutes left in the game?

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonefan1983 View Post
    This is a problem that needs to be fixed, it does look like we are recruiting a little bit better for taller wide receivers..
    holy jesus, just stop!

our offense is based around, small quick receivers. This offense isn't designed for 6'6", guys that run 4.9 40. You find me a guy that is 6'6" and is as quick as our receivers, and I will show you a 5-star recruit, that will never end up at ISU.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone1985 View Post
    holy jesus, just stop!

our offense is based around, small quick receivers. This offense isn't designed for 6'6", guys that run 4.9 40. You find me a guy that is 6'6" and is as quick as our receivers, and I will show you a 5-star recruit, that will never end up at ISU.
    Our offense is designed for small quick receivers? Where is the blue print? And where did the OP say we need 6'6 guys? I don't see it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 628
    Given: 394

It is time to ask the question is our offense too simplified and we hope to sneak by with execution? Basically the defense can have at us with same old plays and not running right to help out the passer. Do we need to move to the next level of offense running more complicated schemes for the B12?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.