Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

My thoughts on TT, 24 hrs later

Went to the game, sat in the upper deck on about the 5 yard line. Not a bad seat. First time sitting in the upper deck since 1988 or so. Anyway, my thoughts on the game

1- We are not a good post-bye-week team. Not offensively anyway.

2- Our OL has to be able to contain a 4 man rush, for however Mississippi's are needed to run the passing play that was called. It is going to be a long season if teams can get to our QBs without needing to blitz. Bruns defended the OL on the post game, saying that their corners shut down our receivers. i didn't see it that way.

3- We were too predictable on offense. On first down, TT tended to stack the box, with man coverage on the corners and only 1 safety. We stubbornly tried to run right into that, which was often followed by 2 and 9. TT would respond by subbing in a safety and defending the pass. We never had their defense guessing.

4- After TT missed a field goal in the 4th quarter, they put out a D set that had no safeties at all, and man coverage on the corners. Rather than audible to a pass over the middle, we ran right into it for no gain. Pretty sure this ended up being a 3 and out. We were either unable to, or unwilling to, change the play at the line based on how the defense lined up.

5- on the place kicking, I think it is time to give the other kid a try. At least let him try the next 40+ yard field goal, which we aren't likely to make anyway. Kicking is a fickle, psychological beast. I get that the current #1 obviously looked the best in spring and fall practice. But he just isn't able to carry that over to game situations. Maybe the 2nd stringer is a gamer?

6- I wasn't real impressed with Steele's decision making. I know criticizing him is all the rage now, but it just seemed like he was just making the wrong decision in lots of different situations. Not handing off in the zone read when giving to the RB was the clear decision. Scrambling out of the pocket when he should have stepped up to avoid the rush, and delivered the ball. Does he have a conference win? Maybe it is time to give the kid with multiple conference wins a try?

7- When Steele does scramble outside, it results in amazingly few downfield completions. I noticed on multiple occasions that downfield receivers would just stop when he scrambled. Nobody came back to the ball, or broke off their route to give him a target. They just stopped. On the deep pick in the 4th, the intended receiver was the only one moving when Steele scrambled (and he was wide open). The underneath guys quit moving.

8- Our jet tempo didn't prevent TT from subbing. Not sure what good this really serves if we allow the other team to sub.

9- Defense + KvdK came to play. Special teams was good, neglecting the field goals.

Now, a few things overheard from my section last night:

1- From the guy behind me: "Its a bad sign when your middle linebacker is your leading tackler". What? Yes, by all means, let's get the safeties involved a little more.

2- On one of kirby's punts in the fourth quarter: "Oh that punt was awful". I counted off the yards: 10, 20, 30, 40, 45... 47 or 48. An no return.

cyphoon

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,477
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 75

Re: My thoughts on TT, 24 hrs later

Quote Originally Posted by cyphoon View Post

4- After TT missed a field goal in the 4th quarter, they put out a D set that had no safeties at all, and man coverage on the corners. Rather than audible to a pass over the middle, we ran right into it for no gain. Pretty sure this ended up being a 3 and out. We were either unable to, or unwilling to, change the play at the line based on how the defense lined up.
    I remember this play. Tiller was way out on the edge, 1 on 1 with no safety help. I thought, hell just throw it up and there and have him go make a play.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

As bad as we looked against an ok team, we were always in the game until the last fieldgoal..........thanks defense!
    The one hope for me 24hrs later.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 741
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by moforisu View Post
    As bad as we looked against an ok team, we were always in the game until the last fieldgoal..........thanks defense!
    The one hope for me 24hrs later.
    NM

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Went to the game, sat in the upper deck on about the 5 yard line. Not a bad seat. First time sitting in the upper deck since 1988 or so. Anyway, my thoughts on the game

2- Our OL has to be able to contain a 4 man rush, for however Mississippi's are needed to run the passing play that was called. It is going to be a long season if teams can get to our QBs without needing to blitz. Bruns defended the OL on the post game, saying that their corners shut down our receivers. i didn't see it that way.

3- We were too predictable on offense. On first down, TT tended to stack the box, with man coverage on the corners and only 1 safety. We stubbornly tried to run right into that, which was often followed by 2 and 9. TT would respond by subbing in a safety and defending the pass. We never had their defense guessing.

5- on the place kicking, I think it is time to give the other kid a try. At least let him try the next 40+ yard field goal, which we aren't likely to make anyway. Kicking is a fickle, psychological beast. I get that the current #1 obviously looked the best in spring and fall practice. But he just isn't able to carry that over to game situations. Maybe the 2nd stringer is a gamer?

6- I wasn't real impressed with Steele's decision making. I know criticizing him is all the rage now, but it just seemed like he was just making the wrong decision in lots of different situations. Not handing off in the zone read when giving to the RB was the clear decision. Scrambling out of the pocket when he should have stepped up to avoid the rush, and delivered the ball. Does he have a conference win? Maybe it is time to give the kid with multiple conference wins a try?

7- When Steele does scramble outside, it results in amazingly few downfield completions. I noticed on multiple occasions that downfield receivers would just stop when he scrambled. Nobody came back to the ball, or broke off their route to give him a target. They just stopped. On the deep pick in the 4th, the intended receiver was the only one moving when Steele scrambled (and he was wide open). The underneath guys quit moving.

8- Our jet tempo didn't prevent TT from subbing. Not sure what good this really serves if we allow the other team to sub.

9- Defense + KvdK came to play. Special teams was good, neglecting the field goals.

1- From the guy behind me: "Its a bad sign when your middle linebacker is your leading tackler". What? Yes, by all means, let's get the safeties involved a little more.

2- On one of kirby's punts in the fourth quarter: "Oh that punt was awful". I counted off the yards: 10, 20, 30, 40, 45... 47 or 48. An no return.

cyphoon
    Pull a redshirt for a play you aren't anticipating making anyway? Hmm...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by cydline2cydline View Post
    You redshirt a player to allow them to bulk up, learn the offense/defense, and when you have depth in front of them. A kicker shouldn't need to bulk up, has nothing to learn, and depth...well you see how well that is working out for us. If we can't get another kicker recruited before he graduates in 4 years we have bigger problems to worry about. We need a kicker that can make 99.9% of PATs and at least give us a prayer at longer field goals this season, not next.

Last edited by resident; 10-01-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 121

cyphoon
    I have to admit that on at least one of his punts my first reaction was "that was a bad one" but then they ended up being pretty good. I think his mis-hits still end up being better than most.

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 84

As far as the PAT issue is concerned. Our long snapper is throwing knuckle balls back to our holder. The timing and consistency of this group is way off. Put them on the field alone. Have them kick a PAT on one end of field, jog down to other end of field, line up and kick another one while the 45 second clock is running. Repeat until they complete 50 in a row. Have them do this every day for the rest of the season.

Get them so they stop thinking and just do it.

General thought about our offense. We are running a system that every HS qb in Texas knows how to run and every high school defensive player in Texas knows how to defend. Not a good combination when we recruit nationally and our opponent recruits primarily from Texas.

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: "President Can't Swim."
    Lyndon B. Johnson

Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 14

Point #8 - What "Jet" Tempo?? If the other team is subbing you arent running a high tempo Offense, the purpose of the Jet or High Tempo Offense is to wear down a defense by NOT letting them sub....if they are subbing...you are running a regular tempo Offense.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH BILLY SELF!

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 45

Chris needs to interview Mess and ask the tough questions.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

Mess is trying to put a square peg in a round hole right now with this offense. Not using the tools at hand very effectivly at the moment. They often brought a ton of pressure and had the box 2x as full as Cy's Roost on a Saturday night. There has to be some play that is better against that than the 8 second developing zone read for 1 yard. I was happy to get that yard many times too because JS and JW had lots of TT friends back there hanging out with them.

Smoke um if you got um

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 345

Quote Originally Posted by cydline2cydline View Post
    Yes, he still has three more years to kick after this year. That is more than most of our players do. If you miss two PATs, you must move on. We do not score that many TDs. TTwo misses out of twelve PATs. The current guy misses to the right consistently although he kicks it far. Split the duties to win the games please. We do not have a Henery and his follow-on buddy kicking out there. It amazes me that Nebby can have a great fieldgoal kicker and punter in the same guy for the last five years. Recruiting.....

Last edited by Wesley; 10-01-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 345

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    Mess is trying to put a square peg in a round hole right now with this offense. Not using the tools at hand very effectivly at the moment. They often brought a ton of pressure and had the box 2x as full as Cy's Roost on a Saturday night. There has to be some play that is better against that than the 8 second developing zone read for 1 yard. I was happy to get that yard many times too because JS and JW had lots of TT friends back there hanging out with them.
    We should expect this defense the rest of the year. Our staff was surprised that TT changhed their defense to match Rutgers? They should not be. So what changes will we do? Will we throw more to Brun and Tiller and Gary across the middle now? Will we use Woody more as a blocker in the backfield?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The offensive issues with the O-line and Jantz decisions are nothing new. The Red Zone turnovers @ Iowa plus the problems Saturday, unfortunately, do not indicate that Jantz can help himself from going into a brain freeze when it is crunch time. The staff has spent two years evaluating his skill level and have gone with his physical talents while trying (and hoping) to change his game day decision making. It hasn't worked. How much all this is related to poor line blocking and play selection is what is going to keep CPR up at night this week.

CPR was a D-coordinator and defensive coach as an assistant. To a certain degree, D is easier to coach because it is predicated on instinct and speed reaction whereas offense is a learned skill based on repetition and coordination with all 11 players on the same page on a given page. IMO, offense is harder to teach and CPR has struggled with that area as a head coach to develop consistency from game to game. I think it will come but it is not where it needs to be yet. I think we have the O-line people to compete in the Big 12. I am not so sure at the skill positions and particularly at QB.

Any word on the announced attendance Saturday night?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Didn't ISU beat OSU after a bye week?

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.