Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 8

Rockets GM Does Reddit AMA

IAm the Houston Rockets GM, AMA : IAmA

]Munger8871 points2 hours ago
    1. Which team do you view as the most intimidating? Heat, Thunder, or the new powerhouse Lakers?
    2. What is your view on the idea that teams need to build rosters with 2+ superstars to succeed? Do you honestly think you can compete for a championship with a roster similar to what you have in place now?
    3. I've heard Royce White, a current player of yours, has a major fear of flying. How have you handled this situation, and what will you do in the future when traveling far for away games?

I'm not a Rockets fan (Hawks fan here), but I'd like to say you've compiled one of the more likable teams in the league. Guys like Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons and Kevin Martin are not only fun to watch but great people too and I wish you the best of success in this upcoming season.

[–]dmorey[S] 164 points 1 hour ago

1. Miami. I have consistently said this since the team was assembled.
    2. You definitely need at least 1 elite player in the top 10-20 of all NBA players (all-star level) to win the championship. There are no counter examples of this. We are not championship contenders right now. All our moves since Yao Ming went down have had the specific goal of acquiring a top level player since that moment. Each change on our team has been designed to acquire players who either have a chance to be an all-star or give us the cap room or trade flexibility to acquire an all-star.
    3. Royce White has an issue with anxiety that is more common than people talk about and he has done a good job to bring awareness. It did not affect his ability to fly for games last year and we don't expect it to this year. It certainly did not affect him last year where he was unquestionably one of the top players in the country and the best player on the floor in the Kentucky-Iowa State NCAA tournament game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 700
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 390

Re: Rockets GM Does Reddit AMA

I am becoming a bigger Royce fan all of the time. It takes a lot of courage to be out in the open about his Anxiety.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 8

Re: Rockets GM Does Reddit AMA

I find it refreshing that he said that Royce was THE best on the floor, not one of the best. I think I am a rockets fan now.