Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Texas Tech vs Iowa State 2012: Some Perspective

Good afternoon Cyclones! Red Raider here. I am a regular over at Raiderpower but occasionally frequent other teams' forums to see the banter and discussion on upcoming games.

It seems that a lot of posters here have some unrealistic impressions of how Tech fans expect the game to go this weekend. Apparently some posters have given you the idea that we predict to blow out Iowa State. While I think that would just be fantastic, I don't realistically expect that to happen. In that vein, I thought I would share with you some stats that I have put together on Raiderpower.

During the preseason I took essentially a poll for posters to predict Tech's final record (specifying W's and L's and scores for each game). I recieved 87 responses for W/L's, 30 of which provided scores for those games.

Keep in mind, these were taken before the first game, so no amount of chest beating about beating up cupcake teams has factored in. Unadjusted preseason picks show 82.76% of responders predicted TTU to get the W this weekend. Out of 30 score responses, the average is TTU 35, ISU 27. The highest predicted score for TTU was 45, lowest 21, while the highest for ISU was 42, lowest 9.

Takeaways: Even before the season started, Red Raiders expected a better season. Through our predictions, we predicted an 8-4 record with some real nailbiter games. We expected a more potent offense with some key personnel back from injury and some guys who were redshirting or freshmen coming in to add some significant depth (LY 33.8PPG, TY predicted 39.4PPG). We hoped for a an improved and serviceable defense that would be less of a liability and give our offense a chance to score points by getting off the field without just yielding a TD (LY actual giving up 39.2PPG, TY predicted giving up 26.4PPG). Most notably the reason for the defensive improvement would be due to coaching: our DC last year failed to make in game adjustments for the entire season and was fired for it.

Red Raiders do not expect to win the conference (but damn that would be nice for once!) nor expect to blow out a bunch of conference foes. Do not let the recent #1 defense and #2 offense rankings make you think Red Raiders have an unrealistic view on the season. We know those are after playing nobodies. We do think we have a good team, though.

For what its worth! Here's to an injury free game on both sides and all the beer that can fit in your mugs!

P.S. My score prediction for this game was 31-24, TTU.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 455
    Given: 320

Re: Texas Tech vs Iowa State 2012: Some Perspective

More stats on creampuffs.
    Yawn...

Prospect
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    More stats on creampuffs.Yawn...

Could you elaborate? None of my stats included creampuffs, unless you are referring to last year's numbers which would include the OOC schedule. I'm not sure what you mean?

Recruit
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points7 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyXY View Post
    Good afternoon Cyclones! Red Raider here. I am a regular over at Raiderpower but occasionally frequent other teams' forums to see the banter and discussion on upcoming games.

It seems that a lot of posters here have some unrealistic impressions of how Tech fans expect the game to go this weekend. Apparently some posters have given you the idea that we predict to blow out Iowa State. While I think that would just be fantastic, I don't realistically expect that to happen. In that vein, I thought I would share with you some stats that I have put together on Raiderpower.

During the preseason I took essentially a poll for posters to predict Tech's final record (specifying W's and L's and scores for each game). I recieved 87 responses for W/L's, 30 of which provided scores for those games.

Keep in mind, these were taken before the first game, so no amount of chest beating about beating up cupcake teams has factored in. Unadjusted preseason picks show 82.76% of responders predicted TTU to get the W this weekend. Out of 30 score responses, the average is TTU 35, ISU 27. The highest predicted score for TTU was 45, lowest 21, while the highest for ISU was 42, lowest 9.

Takeaways: Even before the season started, Red Raiders expected a better season. Through our predictions, we predicted an 8-4 record with some real nailbiter games. We expected a more potent offense with some key personnel back from injury and some guys who were redshirting or freshmen coming in to add some significant depth (LY 33.8PPG, TY predicted 39.4PPG). We hoped for a an improved and serviceable defense that would be less of a liability and give our offense a chance to score points by getting off the field without just yielding a TD (LY actual giving up 39.2PPG, TY predicted giving up 26.4PPG). Most notably the reason for the defensive improvement would be due to coaching: our DC last year failed to make in game adjustments for the entire season and was fired for it.

Red Raiders do not expect to win the conference (but damn that would be nice for once!) nor expect to blow out a bunch of conference foes. Do not let the recent #1 defense and #2 offense rankings make you think Red Raiders have an unrealistic view on the season. We know those are after playing nobodies. We do think we have a good team, though.

For what its worth! Here's to an injury free game on both sides and all the beer that can fit in your mugs!

P.S. My score prediction for this game was 31-24, TTU.

Forget it Stanley. I tried to be nice a week ago, and these yahoo's don't want it that way. They kicked our *** for the last 2 years, and expect it to be that for the rest of eternity.

Addict
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 3

Could you elaborate? None of my stats included creampuffs, unless you are referring to last year's numbers which would include the OOC schedule. I'm not sure what you mean?
    You will have to excuse the cyclone fans on this board, the recent trend has been a TT fan comes and talks about beating us nad how super they are, then after getting ripped into long enough a newer "more level headed" TT fan comes in and explains with numbers why they feel they will win, they then degrade into ingoring all other stats and are then considered just as bad as the previous poster.... repeat. You are about 10 days late on trying to get a level headed arguement from anyone here.

I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

More Bagel Baloney.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycl1 View Post
    You will have to excuse the cyclone fans on this board, the recent trend has been a TT fan comes and talks about beating us nad how super they are, then after getting ripped into long enough a newer "more level headed" TT fan comes in and explains with numbers why they feel they will win, they then degrade into ingoring all other stats and are then considered just as bad as the previous poster.... repeat. You are about 10 days late on trying to get a level headed arguement from anyone here.

Oh no...I got ripped for my first WELCOME thread that went on for at least 35 pages. Check that one out, and see who was the first to BAG ON SOMEONE.

Wasn't me. I actually wanted to discuss the game, but others wanted to discuss the last 2 years.

Prospect
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well thats too bad if we can't have a good discourse.

Nonetheless, I'm still wishing the Cyclones an injury free game Saturday and good luck for the rest of the season.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The arguement of "we are so much better than last year because we have all our starters back, (the same people who got destroyed last year) and we beated southern west texas basket weaving acadamy real bad, and thus are much better, see our stats vs SWTBWA, they are much better than last years stats vs SWTBWA, we will ignore that your team also impoved their stats a simmilar amount against much better competition" doesnt hold water.

Although it is nice to see not everyone in lubbock thinks you will come clobber us. I would hope everyone in TTU expects a better season. other than OU, last season sucked.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Nonetheless, I'm still wishing the Cyclones an injury free game Saturday and good luck for the rest of the season.

Ahhh, who cares about injury free? If they get hurt in the process of getting their azz kicked, so be it. They didn't care when I said it about last year. they just said it was part of football. don't matter one bit to me if it's injury free. Seth Doege, or Michael Brewer kicking ISU azz doesn't matter.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Try earlier next year, :) sadly your thread has already been tainted by TTU trolls.

The same, and after saturday best of luck on the rest of the season.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 50

If you're curious why, exhibit A:

Quote Originally Posted by ttraiderbacker View Post
    Ahhh, who cares about injury free? If they get hurt in the process of getting their azz kicked, so be it. They didn't care when I said it about last year. they just said it was part of football. don't matter one bit to me if it's injury free. Seth Doege, or Michael Brewer kicking ISU azz doesn't matter.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycl1 View Post
    The arguement of "we are so much better than last year because we have all our starters back, (the same people who got destroyed last year) and we beated southern west texas basket weaving acadamy real bad, and thus are much better, see our stats vs SWTBWA, they are much better than last years stats vs SWTBWA, we will ignore that your team also impoved their stats a simmilar amount against much better competition" doesnt hold water.

Although it is nice to see not everyone in lubbock thinks you will come clobber us. I would hope everyone in TTU expects a better season. other than OU, last season sucked.

Really? I'm sure you are trying to say a Tech fan typed that, or acting like a Tech fan. At least try to to be smart about it.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    If you're curious why, exhibit A:

Pull up the thread I started that has 35 pages to it, and see who started the discourse!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 9

Not sure the hate on Texas Tech fans. I mean, I'm not overly impressed with your wins and ours aren't pretty but we've played a tough non conference schedule. Regardless of Iowa losing to CMU its hard to walk into a big 10 stadium and win on the road, especially in a in-state rivalry (See Texas vs Texas Tech no matter how good or bad each team is). With that said, I don't expect a blow out game as nice as it'd be. I think if Iowa State wins it'll be by less then 10, and if Tech wins it'll be by a TD. I think our defense is solid and our offense is shaky and times and good at others. Either way, It'll be a great atmosphere not only for our home team cyclones but for the raiders as well. Good luck