Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 24

Iowa State and Texas Tech Respect

A lot of talk has been going on about each team not getting enough respect from the other. Tech fans have been claiming that no ISU fans want to even talk about this years game, that we'd rather just point to the past two years games. Well, tech fans, I tell you what, if you come into jack trice stadium on Saturday and win, I will give your team respect, and I believe the rest of cyclone nation will too.

On the other hand, if Iowa state wins the game, I don't think tech fans will give Iowa state any respect. They will blame the loss on tubberville and want him fired. They will say that it wasn't Iowa state that beat them, it was just their loser head coaches fault.

I know Iowa state has a good team, a good coach and we are heading in the right direction. I just want to say if tech wins it is because they are also a good team and have proven it on the field.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 591
    Given: 1,049

Re: Iowa State and Texas Tech Respect

I'm think I'm giving Tech, the team, plenty of respect. I think they can be really good, especially since they had a good offense last year, with a more room to improve on defense than we did on either side of the ball.

However, I cannot give many of their posters any respect because, one, they are out of touch with reality, or, two, I'd have to admit they are right and are going to kick our ***.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 68

I think the reason that no one here wants to give their fans respect is because they seem very smug on here (not all but most) and feel that there is no way that ISU should even grace the same field as them. They have either upgraded or gotten an injured starter back at every position and will surely dominate our weak defense (pirate) by putting up 510 yards and 34 pts.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 60

I respect Texas Tech. I don't respect the mouth-breathing, pizza delivering Tech fans that came here and wanted us to bow down and kiss their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

Recruit
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points7 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    I think the reason that no one here wants to give their fans respect is because they seem very smug on here (not all but most) and feel that there is no way that ISU should even grace the same field as them. They have either upgraded or gotten an injured starter back at every position and will surely dominate our weak defense (pirate) by putting up 510 yards and 34 pts.

Well, since ISU gave up that many yards, and points last year several times, it's not possible? Tech will be one of the Top 3 offenses in the league this season.

We weren't great last season, finishing 6 in total offense, and 5th in scoring offense. And, yes, we have upgraded at RB (just having Stephens back is an upgrade), WR (Javon Bell, Jakeem Grant, and Amaro > Zouzalik, James, Franks, and Douglas).

Having a more experienced Doege > inexperienced Doege.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 128

Meh... I'll never respect Tech. Ever. Nice hoops team you have there too in Lubbock.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 729
    Given: 487

I think I'm giving Tech plenty of respect. They've beaten nobody with a pulse this year and we've owned them the last two years. Respect is earned, and as of right now they don't have much of mine.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I think I'm giving Tech plenty of respect. They've beaten nobody with a pulse this year and we've owned them the last two years. Respect is earned, and as of right now they don't have much of mine.

And, ISU has beaten...who? That's worth anything, I mean.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 729
    Given: 487

Quote Originally Posted by ttraiderbacker View Post
    And, ISU has beaten...who? That's worth anything, I mean.
    Both Tulsa and Iowa are heads and shoulders above anyone the arsepirates have beaten so far this year.

Tulsa: 54 RPI
    Iowa: 66 RPI
    Western Ill: 181

Northwestern St: 182 RPI
    Texas St: 120 RPI
    New Mexico: 89

http://realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_Men.html

Talk to me when you've beaten someone.

Last edited by jdoggivjc; 09-25-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ttraiderbacker View Post
    Well, since ISU gave up that many yards, and points last year several times, it's not possible? Tech will be one of the Top 3 offenses in the league this season.

We weren't great last season, finishing 6 in total offense, and 5th in scoring offense. And, yes, we have upgraded at RB (just having Stephens back is an upgrade), WR (Javon Bell, Jakeem Grant, and Amaro > Zouzalik, James, Franks, and Douglas).

Having a more experienced Doege > inexperienced Doege.

We could very easily give up 510 and 34 i just dont think its a done deal that anyone with ttu in their screen name thinks it is.

I do not doubt that TTU could have one of the top 3 offenses, they sure are off to a promising start.

I do think that ISU's defense is better than anyone outside of ISU gives them credit for, if you look at our offensive production there isnt any way that we should have made a bowl game last year or any year that Rhoads has been here. There has been one constant since Rhoads took over and that is our defense, yes we surrender some yds and its not always pretty but more often than not they do enough to get us the win.

I dont doubt that TTU was hit hard by the injury bug last year and I know how frustrating that can be, it sucks. It does happen in college football though. Theoretically we were without our starting QB (Jantz started the year and was hurt in game 3 and played poorly after that to get benched) starting RB (Shontrelle Johnson), OT (Burris broke his leg vs UT) arguably our best player in Jake Knott had a broken arm going into the season and was in a padded cast all year added to the fact that he separated his shoulder, twice, yep twice in the Baylor game and popped it back into place himself and didnt miss a play.

The point here is that each team has its challenges with injuries, lets not let those challenges turn into excuses. The best we had at the time beat the best you had at the time. End of story.

This year is obviously yet to be determined. I definately feel ISU is a better team than last year, different with Jantz running the offense but still a better team overall. I will take your word for it that TTU is looking improved and the stats so far, even if against fcs, are there to back that up.

I expect a very close, hard fought game that will come down to the last mintues of the game.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,553
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 2

A lot of them are also blaming the coaching transition but fail to realize that we have had Rhoads a whopping one more year than they have had Tubbs.

Im sure they are better. So are we. They have the ego of Texas with the athletic resume of Baylor.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 135

I think there is a segment of our fanbase that isn't giving them enough respect. They have the ability to beat us and if we can't put up some points this year they will. We've won the last 2 years by giving best-of-season offensive days.

That said, there's a segment of them completely dismissing the last 2 years, dismissing that their defense would allow us to have best-of-season days on offense again, and generally giving us little respect as a whole.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DRCHIRO View Post
    A lot of them are also blaming the coaching transition but fail to realize that we have had Rhoads a whopping one more year than they have had Tubbs.

Im sure they are better. So are we. They have the ego of Texas with the athletic resume of Baylor.
    Yeah Wally didnt exaclty inherit the '85 Bears but he sure had that defense the first year ballhawking like crazy. Talent is obviously important but average defenders can be molded into above average players with good coaching.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa? Seriously? LOL. They barely beat N. Ill, and allowed N. Iowa to score more points than ISU...LOL. Oh, and did I mention they lost to C. Michigan? Hahahaha!

And, Tulsa is so great, they have beaten an 0-3 Tulane, and Nicholls St. Fresno is their only decent win, and they only beat them by 1 at home.

Face it, neither team has played even a decent schedule. The Iowa win is getting laughed at more, and more each week. Iowa has at least 5 more losses in them, and maybe more.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DRCHIRO View Post

I'm not blaming the Tubs transition, but really the lack of recruiting from the previous staff. Oh, and one year more actually means a lot. One more year recruiting, getting the guys he wants, one more year of strength and conditioning, one more year of chemistry.

One year does mean a lot in the world of college athletics.