Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 498
    Given: 130

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 556

Re: Tech remembers, but does it matter?

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter but to think for a second that ISU doesn't have a psychological advantage over the Raggies heading into this years game is wrong. In years past Tech wouldn't have to think twice about this game. They would get on a plane, catch a bus to the stadium, suit up, kick Iowa State's ***, hit the shower, catch a bus to the airport, fly home, and that was that. Those Raggie players are all well aware that the Cyclones have handed them beatdowns the past 2 years, that they haven't played a team that could even challenge them, etc.... The Tech players have to have a lot of questions rattling around in their heads about what to expect when they play ISU. Like Doege said... this is their first "big test". Anyone think in years past that Tech would have considered ISU a "big test"? Doubt it.

The mindset has changed on both sides now. ISU knows this is a game that they can win and Tech... well this isn't a forgone conclusion that they will beat ISU anymore.

Advantage ISU... at least in the psychological department.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Great post 78. I guess part of me wonders why Tech is making such a big deal out of Iowa State though. I mean, pretty much everybody has stuck it to this program since Tuberville arrived. They should have something to prove in every game, not just against the lowly Cyclones (sarcasm).

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Great post 78. I guess part of me wonders why Tech is making such a big deal out of Iowa State though. I mean, pretty much everybody has stuck it to this program since Tuberville arrived. They should have something to prove in every game, not just against the lowly Cyclones (sarcasm).
    Because they haven't had anything better to do for the last week and a half?

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Because they haven't had anything better to do for the last week and a half?
    But this happened last year too, a week after beating the No. 1 team in America on the road.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 87

An interesting thing to note is this will be the third quarterback to start for ISU against the Red Raiders in the last three years.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would guess the humiliation factor has something to do with it. Tech was so used to beating up on ISU and then to have the tables turned on them in such a dramatic way was probably a little too much humble pie for them to handle. I guess it shows more then anything a lack of respect when it comes to the Cyclones. After getting slapped around a few times now it is time to take the Cyclones seriously. Why is Iowa State their statement game? Again they probably think it would be a heck of a lot easier to pick ISU and beat them then it would be to pick Texas who beats them down on a regular basis.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,192
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    I would guess the humiliation factor has something to do with it. Tech was so used to beating up on ISU and then to have the tables turned on them in such a dramatic way was probably a little too much humble pie for them to handle. I guess it shows more then anything a lack of respect when it comes to the Cyclones. After getting slapped around a few times now it is time to take the Cyclones seriously. Why is Iowa State their statement game? Again they probably think it would be a heck of a lot easier to pick ISU and beat them then it would be to pick Texas who beats them down on a regular basis.

I think the humiliation factor can also work the other way. We destroyed Tech the last two years, we're undefeated, we play Tech at home, and we're still the underdog? Talk about lack of respect. I'm okay with it, though. Keeps our guys very motivated.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    I think the humiliation factor can also work the other way. We destroyed Tech the last two years, we're undefeated, we play Tech at home, and we're still the underdog? Talk about lack of respect. I'm okay with it, though. Keeps our guys very motivated.
    Absolutely. There is no doubt that the ISU players and coaches still feel like they have something to prove. Going out and slapping the Raggies around for a 3rd year in a row will help that cause.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 187

I'm nervous and excited for this game. That bye week is killer

Prospect
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Its Texas Tech, what is there to make sense about really?! Just a bunch of football crazed hillbilly idiots, that are hurting for water more than us! They say everything is bigger in Texas; well that includes the losing side of things. You know what I have to say about "Don't mess with Texas!"... What's not to mess with!

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 222

But this happened last year too, a week after beating the No. 1 team in America on the road.
    I feel like there's been a subtle shift from other team's fanbases this year from "We like Rhoads, we appreciate your hardworking, overacheiving teams" to "Those Cyclones are getting a little big for their britches and it's starting to become annoying". Maybe Tech was just a year ahead of the curve on that.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 40

Does anything Tech remembers, does, says matter? They should be happy they remember anything after the way they got smacked around last year. Red-headed step-children felt sorry for them. Maybe that's why they're the Red Raiders I guess.

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I feel like there's been a subtle shift from other team's fanbases this year from "We like Rhoads, we appreciate your hardworking, overacheiving teams" to "Those Cyclones are getting a little big for their britches and it's starting to become annoying". Maybe Tech was just a year ahead of the curve on that.
    Good call, MNCyGuy. Shedding the lovable loser role and becoming truly hated by some of our conference mates is progress. Note that there are a lot KU BB fans who have come to hate ISU through the Floyd, Eustachy, Morgan and now Hoiberg years.

Note that I left out a coach who wasn't scaring anyone in Lawrence.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Recruit
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points7 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think the focus is on ISU because Tuberville is supposedly on the Hot Seat (although I don't think he should be), and every conference game is huge (they are for every team, but maybe moreso for Tech/Tuberville). Tech needs to be able to come out, and beat ISU in a fairly convincing fashion before others start to take notice. And, even if that did happen, Tech probably wouldn't get much credit for it. I think all people will say is, "Well, it's ISU, lets see what they do against ____".

Tech needs to show that last year's record was a blip, and not a recurring trend. Tech had absolutely no depth last year, because of Leach, and his lack of recruiting. Tuberville has had to correct that, and I think he's done a great job in recruiting the last couple years...adding more speed to the defense.

Tuberville's mistakes have come in his DC hirings. He's taken chances on people that have never had a DC job, and he's just now corrected that, and went to a scheme that he's more familiar with...the 4-3.

Tech has 3 coaches who have been DC's, and they can all band together, and help put in a scheme. On top of that, they have a DE coach who has been the HC at Hargrave. Much more knowledge on the defensive side this season.

Will it translate? Who knows, but so far it's worked pretty good. We'll see the rest of the way, and ISU is the first stop.

That's why it's a bigger game for Tech than in years past.