Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 62

ISU Colorado Blizzard

The Rag article about the history of the interesting weather over the years for the ISU-CU game reminded me of one of the most fun games I've ever been to. The '91 game that took place in a howling blizzard where only about 2500 people showed up to the entire game. They just opened up the gates and let anyone who was brave enough to show up go in and sit wherever. Everyone was huddled down in the first few rows at the 50 yard line because they closed the upper decks because of huge snow drifts.

Colorado was ranked #15 and we nearly pulled off an upset 17-14 behind our fullback Ulrich (I think). I think we were the only car parked in the entire vast empty parking lot tailgating. When everyone clapped at the game all you could hear was thump thump thump because everyone had thick gloves on because it was so cold. -15 wind chill and the temp I think was around 5-15 degrees. We still had that horrible astro turf so the field must have been as hard as concrete (which it is was). We were all proud of all the players on the field playing that day. We had to lead the chearleaders in all the cheers because they were so cold in their outfits, and weren't dressed up for an arctic expedition like the fans in the stands.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

Re: ISU Colorado Blizzard

Discussion here, already in progress. ;)

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...iddy-snow.html

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

That's one of the few games that I missed when I was in school. I was planning on going to the game and then heading home afterward for Thanksgiving break. But with the weather conditions being what they were, I decided it would be a good idea to give myself the extra time for the drive.

I drove by Cyclone Stadium on my way out of town, and the sight was surreal. Mounds of snow everywhere, and almost no cars in the parking lot. It looked like there were about 28 fans in the stadium. It was hard to imagine there was a game going on in there.

I took my time on the drive back to Cedar Rapids and listened to the game on the radio. It was a good thing I gave myself the extra time. I saw literally something 150 cars in the ditches on Interstate 80.

Prospect
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Anybody have any pictures from this game?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 428

Chris "the paperboy" ulrich was sick that day.

I was one of few in the stands.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I always thought 2500 was an extremely generous number for attendance that day. It was definitely surreal. A small group of people huddled down low in a big empty snow-filled stadium. It would be amazing if anyone had any pictures, but I highly doubt it. People were seriously decked out in warm clothes; boot, hats, gloves, multiple layers, probably even some snow pants! You wouldn't have wanted to take your gloves/mittens off to push the button on your camera (or bring your camera out in those conditions).

I hope someday everyone gets to experience a game like that. The bloody marys among other things (can't remember) kept the body warm that day.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,435

I was there too. We drove up at halftime after listening to the close game on the radio.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 101

Yup, I was at that game. 2500 is a very generous number. My roommate and I decided we were going to stop at the liquor store and pick up some peppermint schnapps, we wanted it in the small pint bottle and the guy was out of peppermint but, suggested wintergreen. Oh my god that stuff was terrible. No amount of mixing could solve the problem. Didn't much matter though. It was so cold I didn't feel like taking the scarf away from my face long enough to drink. I remember also quite a few of us standing down on the sidlines while the game was going on. There were so few people there that day that no one really cared what you did.

I'm also trying to remember, right around that same time - '90-92 another big snow storm that led to a snowball fight between the upper and lower deck on the east side of the stadium. Was that Kansas State? I only remember thousands of snowballs flying everywhere.

If I remember right, there was a stretch there of about 3 or 4 years that had some terribly cold winters while I was in school. I remember one year in the dorms at MWL, no one being able to start their cars to make the trip home for winter break.

I am really glad I had a chance to be part of that game. It's a story I tell everyone and will definitely tell my kids about. I definitely don't miss them though. Those were some stretches of really bad football.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 169

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    The '91 game that took place in a howling blizzard where only about 2500 people showed up to the entire game.
    Even with the weather...it's amazing to think how FAR we have come attendance-wise. Future looks even BRIGHTER as far as having butts in JTS.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,435

I remember one game in 93 or 94 against KU and it was raining so hard that half the fans were flying superman style down the hillsides on their ponchos!

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

I can say I was one of the 2,500. It was interesting being able to walk from one end of the stadium to the other following the teams down the field.

Except for the weather, it had more of a Spring game feel.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by isucyclone4 View Post
    Even with the weather...it's amazing to think how FAR we have come attendance-wise. Future looks even BRIGHTER as far as having butts in JTS.
    Well we've come a long way since the 90s, but we really are just getting back to where we were from 77 to around 84.

I think the future is very bright, but we need to show progress next year. Winning out this year would certainly get people excited about next year, especially if AA plays well, since QB is going to be one of the big question marks next year. A bowl season next year, and I think things REALLY take off.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I forgot about shifting down the stands as the ball moved down the field and standing on the sidelines as the game was going on. One beyond bitterly cold winter where you couldn't start your car was winter 89-90. I remember lots of flasks and liquor bottles being pulled out and shared because all the security/police were inside trying to stay warm.

Wintergreen sounds as bad as Goldschläger.

Recruit
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

That was one of the only games I missed while in school. It was the Saturday before Thanksgiving and there was a mass exodus to get out of Ames Friday due to the weather. In retrospect, I wish I would have stuck around and went to it. My roomate at the time was in the marching band and got frostbite on his feet from that game.

I remember winter break of 89-90 also. Seemed liked the highs temperatures during finals week were all below zero. Nobody could leave town because their cars wouldn't start. I remember flagging down a ISU DPS car and asking if they could jump my car since I had cables. Nope, have to call a tow service, at least a 2 hour wait and $50. Somebody miracously got their car started and I got a jump off them. Didn't leave the parking lot until I jumped at least five more cars. The DPS sat and watched us from their car, I think to make sure we didn't freeze to death.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    The Rag article about the history of the interesting weather over the years for the ISU-CU game reminded me of one of the most fun games I've ever been to. The '91 game that took place in a howling blizzard where only about 2500 people showed up to the entire game. They just opened up the gates and let anyone who was brave enough to show up go in and sit wherever. Everyone was huddled down in the first few rows at the 50 yard line because they closed the upper decks because of huge snow drifts.

Colorado was ranked #15 and we nearly pulled off an upset 17-14 behind our fullback Ulrich (I think). I think we were the only car parked in the entire vast empty parking lot tailgating. When everyone clapped at the game all you could hear was thump thump thump because everyone had thick gloves on because it was so cold. -15 wind chill and the temp I think was around 5-15 degrees. We still had that horrible astro turf so the field must have been as hard as concrete (which it is was). We were all proud of all the players on the field playing that day. We had to lead the chearleaders in all the cheers because they were so cold in their outfits, and weren't dressed up for an arctic expedition like the fans in the stands.

Sounds like fun

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy