Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,776, Level: 79
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,004
    Points
    65,776
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 441

    Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Looking to replace a router that is about 5 years old. It is a Linksys. Recently had fiber run to my house and the router (wireless N) holds its own but there are spots in the house that aren't getting the signal at full strength. Maybe I really don't need to replace it yet...but I have the itch to do so.

    Been reading about routers and looking to spend about $100 if I need to. What I am struggling to understand is the importance of a "dual-band" router. Do I need/want a "dual-band" router?

    Anyway...anyone have advice/suggestions on the router that would work best for me? Don't use the net at home for much more than typical surfing/streaming some tv/downloading music.

    Advice/info appreciated!

    Thanks!



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,776, Level: 79
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,004
    Points
    65,776
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 441

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Anyone? No one? Would hate to rely on the guy from Staples or Target to inform me about "dual-band" routers...

    Oh well...



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,523, Level: 94
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,411
    Points
    92,523
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 22

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Dual-band just means the router can operate on both the 802.11a frequency band and the 802.11b/g/n band, so if you have some peripheral that only supports 802.11a you need a dual-band router, otherwise don't worry about it.

    You may want to consider buying a second router and then turning your old one into an access point (it means exactly that, it allows devices access but doesn't do any other "router" things like give new devices addresses etc, all that is forwarded back to the master router) to help cover the areas of the house you can't cover with just one.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 34,672, Level: 57
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CyOps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    1,667
    Points
    34,672
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 135
    Given: 19

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    I have a craftsman router that I haven't had any problems with. Signal strength is crap but it leaves a smooth edge as long as you use quality bits.



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 7,776, Level: 26
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ISC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    498
    Points
    7,776
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 16

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    I've been using only netgear routers lately. The main reason is that a firmware update a while back allows most of them to be turned into access points later down the road (when you decide to get a new router). Also, they have all sorts of features (like the ability to plug a hard drive in them that will instantly be shared on the network.. so you don't have to run your own file server anymore).

    I'm not at home right now, but i'm pretty sure this is the one i have now that works very well (has VERY good range and the ability to run a "guest" network that is completely separate from your main network.. effectively allowing you to run 3 wireless networks from one router)

    NETGEAR - RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch - WNDR3700-100NAS


    Last edited by ISC; 09-21-2012 at 11:47 AM.

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 40,031, Level: 61
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 319
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CynadoAlley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames via Akron, IA
    Posts
    2,088
    Points
    40,031
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 112

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Honestly, the guys at Best Buy were incredibly helpful (to me anyways). The biggest thing though is you're going to get what you're paying for. But I got one there for about $70 that works great.

    Edit: I also agree that Netgear is the way to go.


    In Fred We Trust



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,776, Level: 79
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,004
    Points
    65,776
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 441

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    Dual-band just means the router can operate on both the 802.11a frequency band and the 802.11b/g/n band, so if you have some peripheral that only supports 802.11a you need a dual-band router, otherwise don't worry about it.

    You may want to consider buying a second router and then turning your old one into an access point (it means exactly that, it allows devices access but doesn't do any other "router" things like give new devices addresses etc, all that is forwarded back to the master router) to help cover the areas of the house you can't cover with just one.
    I am guessing I don't have any of those peripherals that need the "a" band since my current router is only "b/g/n" bands correct? So a "dual-band" router does nothing for me correct?



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 72,367, Level: 83
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,017
    Points
    72,367
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 104

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    Recently had fiber run to my house
    Wow, lucky you. How do you like it? I'm curious about your download speed; did you notice any boost / improvement?


    "We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

    -ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 7,776, Level: 26
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ISC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    498
    Points
    7,776
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 16

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Actually, you will want a dual band. All it means is that it is able to transmit on both the 2.4ghz of a/b/g and 5 ghz of n. So, you definitely want a dual band, but i'm pretty sure that almost every wireless n 5 ghz router is a dual band router



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,776, Level: 79
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,004
    Points
    65,776
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 441

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by ISC View Post
    I've been using only netgear routers lately. The main reason is that a firmware update a while back allows most of them to be turned into access points later down the road (when you decide to get a new router). Also, they have all sorts of features (like the ability to plug a hard drive in them that will instantly be shared on the network.. so you don't have to run your own file server anymore).

    I'm not at home right now, but i'm pretty sure this is the one i have now that works very well (has VERY good range and the ability to run a "guest" network that is completely separate from your main network.. effectively allowing you to run 3 wireless networks from one router)

    NETGEAR - RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch - WNDR3700-100NAS
    As for the gigabit aspect of that particular router...is gigabit neccesary for me as I have read it doesn't really mean much unless all of the equipment prior to the router is gigabit rated? I do have fiber running to my home but for some reason I was under the impression it isn't using gigabit technology??



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,776, Level: 79
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,004
    Points
    65,776
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 441

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by ISC View Post
    Actually, you will want a dual band. All it means is that it is able to transmit on both the 2.4ghz of a/b/g and 5 ghz of n. So, you definitely want a dual band, but i'm pretty sure that almost every wireless n 5 ghz router is a dual band router
    I see...thanks for the info! I appreciate it!



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 7,776, Level: 26
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ISC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    498
    Points
    7,776
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 16

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by CynadoAlley View Post
    The biggest thing though is you're going to get what you're paying for. But I got one there for about $70 that works great.
    Agreed. The cheap routers don't have the range or speed of the good ones (plus a lot fewer features you will probably want down the road).



  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 7,776, Level: 26
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ISC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    498
    Points
    7,776
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 16

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    As for the gigabit aspect of that particular router...is gigabit neccesary for me as I have read it doesn't really mean much unless all of the equipment prior to the router is gigabit rated? I do have fiber running to my home but for some reason I was under the impression it isn't using gigabit technology??
    In all honesty, no, probably not. But almost all of the good routers these days have it by default and you might as well because almost all ethernet cards sold these days are gigabit, so you will get some speed increase in the future.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,523, Level: 94
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,411
    Points
    92,523
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 22

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    I am guessing I don't have any of those peripherals that need the "a" band since my current router is only "b/g/n" bands correct? So a "dual-band" router does nothing for me correct?
    If you want to get really fancy (and your network adapters support it) some routers allow you to simultaneously run both a 5GHz network and 2.4GHz network. This allows you to split traffic into different bands to better handle interference around the house, but doing this is likely going to take quite a bit of tech savvy and I imagine some headaches trying to get it all working. I would not say dual-band is a must-have, but if you're going to get it get a simultaneous dual-band router.

    Why Choose Simultaneous Dual Band



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 61,040, Level: 76
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 610
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    aauummm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the road again
    Posts
    3,702
    Points
    61,040
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 590

    Re: Looking for New Router - Advice/Input Appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    Looking to replace a router that is about 5 years old. It is a Linksys. Recently had fiber run to my house and the router (wireless N) holds its own but there are spots in the house that aren't getting the signal at full strength. Maybe I really don't need to replace it yet...but I have the itch to do so.

    Been reading about routers and looking to spend about $100 if I need to. What I am struggling to understand is the importance of a "dual-band" router. Do I need/want a "dual-band" router?

    Anyway...anyone have advice/suggestions on the router that would work best for me? Don't use the net at home for much more than typical surfing/streaming some tv/downloading music.

    Advice/info appreciated!

    Thanks!
    I got this one about a year ago: D-Link - DIR-645 Wireless Router - IEEE 802.11n - DIR-645

    Works very well. Haven't had to reboot it, has fine range and good speed. Easy to set up, basically plug and play.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM