Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 32

Grubs/aerating/overseeding

Yes, another yard thread.

So I am sure I have a grub problem. There are "pencil holes" all over my yard and also have bird ****/grass/dirt on my cement where it meets the lawn. There are also irregular brown patches all over the place.

First question- Is it too late to put down a dose of granular insecticide to eradicate the grubs and prevent them from doing any more damage?

Second question- I have scheduled an aeration for next Wednesday and then planned on puting down starter fertilizer and then overseeding the next day. Should I wait with any of these steps if I do put down the insecticide?

Third question- With all of the extra birds in in my yard searching for grubs will the birds eat the grass seed if I would overseed? What could I do to prevent it?

Thanks everyone for you answers- I know I am in good hands with my fellow CF'ers!

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Grubs/aerating/overseeding

Bump for morning.

Recruit
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Not too late for grub control. Although you need to start putting it down in the spring as typically it is a once per year application that will last the entire year. Pretty easy to confirm that you have grubs. Since they feed on the grass roots, the dead patches are easily pulled back revealing the soil and any grubs that are present. You should see improvement in as little as three weeks with the patchs slowly filling back in as the grubs are no longer clipping the grass roots.

No need to wait on the insecticide, put it down per instructions. It's always a good idea to do it prior to a rain or use sprinkler to water it down. Once you overseed you should maintain a watering program to keep the grass seed wet so it germinates. Don't let the seed dry out. Also need to make sure the seed gets good soil to seed contact, so raking out the dead grass and getting some soil exposed and using a rake to rake in the seed into the soil will give much better results.

Birds will eat very little if any. You can always put up a bird feeder and this will take care of it.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,222
    Given: 2,306

Get on top of that grub problem sooner rather than later before you have a bigger problem than just birds. Where there are grubs moles can't be far behind.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 51

do deer eat grubs also? my back yard is all dug up like 50 squirrels has been rooting up nuts or something but i know we get deer once in a while. once i rake it up, i am going have some huge bare spots.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than selfish and worry about my liver."
    --by Jack Handy

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

No need to wait. You want to put down a high rate of Merit (imidacloprid) it will also help with lawn reestablishment. It has good residual. Is you see something that is pyrethroids only (cyfluthrin, cyhalothrin, pyrethrum) don't spend the money - unless you just want to kill ants.

Do all three while the holes are open and you will be very happy.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

You want to use Merit in early summer. It won't kill grubs in late summer/fall. See below for more info on which pesticides to use to kill grubs this time of year. I have also linked a couple of good articles on the matter.

White grubs are best controlled when they are small and actively feeding near the soil surface, usually late July to mid-August. However, with the development of new grub control chemistry (e.g., imidacloprid [Merit] and halofenozide [MACH2]), applications in June and July have sufficient residual activity to kill the new grub populations as they come to the soil surface in late July through August.

Control of white grubs in late-fall or early-spring is difficult, at best, because the grubs are large and may not be feeding. Only trichlorfon (Dylox) and carbaryl (Sevin) formulations are available for such rescue treatments. The key to good control is to make an even application and water thoroughly.

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/ukturf/pubs.ht...ite%20grub.PDF
    Grubs and grub control in lawns

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by blizzisu View Post
    You want to use Merit in early summer. It won't kill grubs in late summer/fall. See below for more info on which pesticides to use to kill grubs this time of year. I have also linked a couple of good articles on the matter.

White grubs are best controlled when they are small and actively feeding near the soil surface, usually late July to mid-August. However, with the development of new grub control chemistry (e.g., imidacloprid [Merit] and halofenozide [MACH2]), applications in June and July have sufficient residual activity to kill the new grub populations as they come to the soil surface in late July through August.

Control of white grubs in late-fall or early-spring is difficult, at best, because the grubs are large and may not be feeding. Only trichlorfon (Dylox) and carbaryl (Sevin) formulations are available for such rescue treatments. The key to good control is to make an even application and water thoroughly.

I have a bad grub problem too. Noticed it in the spring and again late summer to present. The document says grubs don't damage turf in the spring, but I think the quick spring warm up and subsequent drought changed that. The lawn got stressed earlier than usual.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonesurveyor View Post
    do deer eat grubs also? my back yard is all dug up like 50 squirrels has been rooting up nuts or something but i know we get deer once in a while. once i rake it up, i am going have some huge bare spots.
    Not deer, skunks and raccoons digging for grubs.

Squirrels are hiding nuts.

Because the spring came so early, the grubs arrived earlier too.

Apply grub control without fail next spring. You can also apply granular insect controls as a second application in the summer and those products are for grubs, spiders, ants, etc.

Last edited by leroycyclone; 09-21-2012 at 04:23 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I wouldn't do sevin because it is reliant on them ingesting it.

It works for me because I apply merit in the spring and fall. Pyrethroid base in the middle for everything else.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    I have a bad grub problem too. Noticed it in the spring and again late summer to present. The document says grubs don't damage turf in the spring, but I think the quick spring warm up and subsequent drought changed that. The lawn got stressed earlier than usual.
    This is what pretty much happened to me. A couple of years ago I had a grub problem, but not last year. This year the yard got stressed early (Kentucky Bluegrass) and went dormant. As it has been greening back up the past 3 weeks there are spots in the yard that have never come back, and about a week ago I realized that the grubs were back. Just earlier today I applied Dylox. Now just waiting for it to turn midnight so I can water my yard and get that stuff worked in- (we have water restrictions here in Lincoln and I can only water outdoors on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday- SMH)

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201
    Given: 102

Question just had my lawn overseeded today how much and how often should I water it? And for how long into the fall?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 394

Quote Originally Posted by leroycyclone View Post
    Not deer, skunks and raccoons digging for grubs.

Squirrels are hiding nuts.

Because the spring came so early, the grubs arrived earlier too.

Apply grub control without fail next spring. You can also apply granular insect controls as a second application in the summer and those products are for grubs, spiders, ants, etc.
    Voles dig from surface at night once grubs go up higher; otherwise their many tunnels to find grubs before that happens chews up a lot of square feet.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Question just had my lawn overseeded today how much and how often should I water it? And for how long into the fall?
    The seeds need to have contact with the soil and need to stay moist (not wet) for 14 days with fescue/rye and 21-28 days with kentucky blue grass. How often and how long you should water varies with weather, irrigation system, sun vs shade, etc. but 10 minutes twice a day should be close for this time of year in Bondurant.

Once the new grass does germinate, it will be hungry so you should apply starter fertilizer at half rate every two weeks through October and then apply your winterizer fertilizer app once top growth stops but before the soil temp drops below the 40 to 50 degree range.

These are all generalizations, so with out know your exact situation this is the best I can come up with.

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201
    Given: 102

The seeds need to have contact with the soil and need to stay moist (not wet) for 14 days with fescue/rye and 21-28 days with kentucky blue grass. How often and how long you should water varies with weather, irrigation system, sun vs shade, etc. but 10 minutes twice a day should be close for this time of year in Bondurant.

Once the new grass does germinate, it will be hungry so you should apply starter fertilizer at half rate every two weeks through October and then apply your winterizer fertilizer app once top growth stops but before the soil temp drops below the 40 to 50 degree range.

These are all generalizations, so with out know your exact situation this is the best I can come up with.
    Thanks! Much appreciated. I ran the sprinkler about 25 minutes per spot last night and will do the same for the next two weeks.