Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

ISU vs. CU Prediction Thread

Opening up with CFN's prediction of the game...

Colorado (5-5) at Iowa State (2-8) 12:30 PM
    Why to watch: All of a sudden, Iowa State has gone from being the Big 12's punching bag, and one of the worst teams in America, to a bit of a force, battling Oklahoma and Missouri well before coming up with a stunning 31-20 win over Kansas State. This is just the kind of momentum first year head man Gene Chizik wants to generate going into the off-season, and with a road trip to Kansas to finish up, winning in the home finale against Colorado might be vital for the young team's psyche. The Buffs are a win away from bowl eligibility and the next step in the program's turnaround. Beating Nebraska at home in two weeks would be nice, but getting to six wins this week. against a team it's beaten five of the last six years including last season for one of the team's two wins, would allow everyone to let out a bit of an exhale. This is a tougher, better game than it appeared to be a few weeks ago.
    Why Colorado might win: Iowa State might have gotten the offense going over the last two games, but this is hardly an explosive juggernaut that'll put up points in bunches. It capitalized on three Kansas State turnovers, and if CU can avoid giving up the ball and screwing up, the Iowa State offense isn't going to put up more than 21 points. Even though ISU won, it's not like it stopped Kansas State, giving up a huge day to WR Jordy Nelson. However ...
    Why Iowa State might win: ... the Colorado offense hasn't exactly been sharp lately. If the Buff running game isn't working, the offense isn't going to do much. The running game isn't going to do much. Iowa State has problems against good passing teams, but it's been a brick wall against the run. Colorado is 4-1 when running for more than 150 yards, and 1-4 (with the win coming against Colorado State in the season-opener) when it's under. Iowa State has only allowed more than 150 in two games, and has given up just 327 yards over the last three weeks to Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas State.
    Who to watch: It took almost the full season for the Iowa State coaching staff to realize that Bret Meyer wasn't doing much to move the ball. In came redshirt freshman Austen Arnaud last week for a relatively ineffective Meyer, and he ran for 19 yards, connected on five of seven passes for 130 yards, and provided more of a spark for the attack. Meyer will still play, but with the emergence of Arnaud, a good-sized bomber who can push the ball down the field, and RB Alexander Robinson, who ran for two touchdowns against the Wildcats, the future is now for the Cyclones.
    What will happen: Iowa State has started to play well, while Colorado is struggling. The Buffs have the better team, but on Senior Day and in the final home game of the year, the Cyclones will use their strong defense and good young offensive players to get by for their final win of the year.
    CFN Prediction: Iowa State 27 ... Colorado 23 ... Line: Colorado -5
    Must See Rating: (5 Seinfeld: Season 9 - 1 Bee Movie) ... 2.5

I'm thinking ISU will win, 28-21. What do you guys think?

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: ISU vs. CU Prediction Thread

Whatver happens, rest assured that we will be playing BIG 12 FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 356

Go play intramurals, brother.

Iowa State wins by 4.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 721
    Given: 1,476

CU 28
    ISU 24 (3 TDs)

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 719
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

Welcome to the weekly prediction column for Cyclone athletics! This week the Cyclones tangle with the Buffaloes of Colorado in this sports fan’s Game of the Week. Please keep in mind that these will be only mock predictions based on the wild imagination of one Cyclone diehard, so I urge you not to rush out and drain your life savings on the Vegas line for the game. A small wager with a friend would be more advisable until the Hales Weekly Mock Prediction has been firmly established as the final word for selecting winners/spreads. With all of the formalities out of the way, let the pick of the week begin!

The series between Iowa State and Colorado has seen some interesting twists and turns over the years, especially the games played in Ames. Back in the 1970’s, ISU students used to load up on apples and other fruit from the dorm cafeteria on the morning of the Colorado game. When the Buffaloes’ mascot, Chip, would come out onto the field he would be met with a barrage of fruit and became uncontrollable, much to the students’ glee. The last time ISU hosted this game was in 2005. In this game, fans were treated to a real “cyclone”, as tornadoes forced the game to be postponed. Eventually, the Cyclones pulled out a much needed win behind a touchdown return from Brett “Big Play” Curvey.

Looking at this game from an objective standpoint, you would think Colorado would have the edge. They currently sit at 5-5 on the season with a win over BCS #5 Oklahoma to boot. However, this is one sports writer that is anything but objective when it comes to his predictions.

I’m looking for a big Cyclones home win this weekend, and this it how it is going to happen. As tailgating time comes to a close and the fans start to fill Jack Trice, the smell of charbroiled buffalo burgers wafts over to the stadium. Chip paws the ground nervously and starts to snort. This is a foreboding sign of things to come. The game starts off close as the teams feel each other out, neither one wanting to give up a big play. Kevin Eberhart (a poor man’s Crosby) and Shaggy trade 1st quarter field goals as the score stands 3-3 after 1. In the second, Alexander Robinson breaks a 60 yard touchdown to give the Cyclones the lead, but it is short lived as 320 pound right tackle Ryan Miller returns a botched onside attempt to the house to tie it up at 10.

The third quarter is a defensive standoff, as the kickers again trade field goals. In the fourth, Brett Meyer hooks up with Todd Blythe one last time in Jack Trice stadium, and Shaggy adds a 2nd and final field goal for the Clones as they go up 20-10 and look to have firm control of the game. The Buffs answer back with a Cody Hawkins keeper to make it a 3 point game, and the Cyclones defense is forced to punt with just under a minute to go. A nice punt return sets Colorado up with good field position, and a few short completions from Hawkins to his favorite tight end Riar Geer get the Buffs to the 30 yard line for a game tying 47 yard attempt.

This is where things go awry, as the Cyclone faithful rise as one to make things difficult. Cody and Dan Hawkins are screaming at each other over the crowd noise, as Cody apparently thinks that the field goal is out of Eberhart’s range and wants to go for it. Dan gets confused and screams at Kent Riddle (special teams coach) to have Katie Hnida go ahead and kick it. Riddle is confused, but fearing a Dan Hawkins “This is the Big 12!!!!” type of rampage, he obediently calls for Hnida. Unfortunately for the Buffs, George Hypolite, their defensive tackle, thinks that Riddle is calling for him and runs out onto the field for his big chance to be the hero.

As confusion sets in, freshman holder Scotty McKnight screams to the sidelines, “What the heck is going on?” Hearing “What”, snapper Justin Drescher mistakes it for “Hut!” and snaps the ball, sailing it past the confused McKnight. “Tuba” Rubin ends his ISU career by scooping up the ball and stomping towards the endzone with it. He glances up at the Jumbotron and is able to sidestep an angry McKnight in hot pursuit and rumble into the endzone. As the stadium erupts, so do the Hawkins. Cody is pushing Dan for not letting him go for it, Dan is screaming at anybody that will listen that “THIS IS THE BIG 12!!!”, and Mrs. Hawkins is trying to stop a nervous Chip from running everybody over on the sidelines during the melee.

Cyclones 26- Colorado 17

Well Cyclone fans, that’s the way I see it going this weekend. Feel free to give me your take on it, keep your bets small until I’ve proven myself the Spread Swammi, and let’s make it loud on Saturday at the Jack!

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 378
    Given: 47

CU 26
    ISU 28

Down to the last few plays. Bring lots of beers into the stadium this week boys and girls, we are in it till the end!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

It's division 1 football!

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 80

24-14 good guys

I like what the article says about Colorado needing their running game. If that's true, I don't see Colorado scoring many points.

And I don't think Colorado really has much usable tape on ISU. I think we've really begun to open up the playbook the last few weeks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

28-14 I-State
    Cody Hawkins wouldn't even start on a B-Leauge Intramural Flag Football team at this school.

Last edited by cloneu; 11-08-2007 at 12:33 PM.
    Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Rookie
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 2

ISU and Colorado have very similar offenses so it might not be a pretty game. I think it is going to come down to the lines again for ISU especially the DL. If they can stop the run and get pressure on Hawkins (who has 15 ints) that might give our DBs the opportunity to get some more TOs like last week. Also hopefully we test some deep patterns like Mezzo did last week and exploit the breakdowns there.

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 647
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 490

Another factor to consider is this: Colorado is going for its 6th win - possible bowl eligibility on the line. That said...

...I still gotta believe that the improvement we've seen from our squad - since the Texas debacle - will continue & we will win this game. Our "D" comes up big this game and the duo of Meyer & Arnaud will make our Seniors' last game in JTS a memorable one. 24-3 Cyclones!!! BTW - Shaggy kicks a FG as time expires - making his last memory of JTS extra sweet. The fans storm the field!!!

Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

ISU 24 CU 22

I have a good feeling about this game.... the ISU D has been solid, and pressuring Hawkins is key.... CU has a good run D, but I think our underrated O-line and A-Rob can get it done....

by the way, CU's live buffalo mascot is named Ralphie (the 4th), not Chip. Chip is their human-costumed buffalo.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,601
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 122

Quote Originally Posted by kentkel View Post
    Another factor to consider is this: Colorado is going for its 6th win - possible bowl eligibility on the line. That said...

...I still gotta believe that the improvement we've seen from our squad - since the Texas debacle - will continue & we will win this game. Our "D" comes up big this game and the duo of Meyer & Arnaud will make our Seniors' last game in JTS a memorable one. 24-3 Cyclones!!! BTW - Shaggy kicks a FG as time expires - making his last memory of JTS extra sweet. The fans storm the field!!!
    K-State was going for their 6th win last week, too.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 80

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    Everyone's saying the real magic number this year is 7 wins, since Bowls aren't allowed to take a 6 win team over a 7 win team. In order for Colorado to get 7 wins, they need to win this week, so it's a little more urgent than it was for K-State.

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 647
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 490

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    True... I guess I was thinking that there are now only 2 games left in the season for CU to get a 6th win - time is running out. (Obviously, KSU had 3 games left last week). I'm sure that CU will beat the fuskers at the end of the regular season. So if they beat us, 7 wins should almost assure them of a bowl game. HOWEVER, I still believe that we will crush their spirit this weekend! Go 'Clones!!!

Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"