Exposition Hall to be built north of Scheman Building?
    All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 75

Exposition Hall to be built north of Scheman Building?

Saw an Ames daily article a couple of yrs ago concerning building what I would call an Exposition Hall to be built and/or attached to Scheman that eliminated the parking lot just north of Scheman. I looked up on line and saw the plans at that time for this project. Then Hilton got flooded again from the West side and never have heard any more on this project. I questioned going forward with this project from the standpoint of why build another building when it quite possibly would be flooded out as Hilton does.

Anyone out there have any info on this?

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 865
    Given: 414

Re: Exposition Hall to be built north of Scheman Building?

I remember what you're talking about, but i can't see anything else out there about it. I'm curious now too.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,142
    Given: 3,686

Flooding would be less of an issue if they built it to match up with first floor (not ground floor) of Scheman and had a parking garage or even flat lot parking underneath. Then if the area floods again the impact is only a fraction of what it would be otherwise.

This would certainly make Scheman - and even the whole Iowa State Center - a much more marketable property for non University events. This helps to make The Center more viable by paying the bills in the late spring, summer and early fall. And yes, this could help the Athletic Department as some events need both Hilton and Scheman for their events. If they have some exhibition space they might be able to attract more of these events. The Hilton portion of the events would help the AD pay Hilton expenses during the offseason.

EDIT: By the way, Scheman was originally supposed to be built so that there was really nothing on what is the ground floor with just the first and second floors with any significant space due to flooding concerns, but the plan was changed a little here and a little there and they've paid for it every since.

Last edited by VeloClone; 09-19-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 905
    Given: 220

There has definitely been talks about the need for more convention space in Ames. But nobody wants to pay for it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Flooding would be less of an issue if they built it to match up with first floor (not ground floor) of Scheman and had a parking garage or even flat lot parking underneath. Then if the area floods again the impact is only a fraction of what it would be otherwise.

This would certainly make Scheman - and even the whole Iowa State Center - a much more marketable property for non University events. This helps to make The Center more viable by paying the bills in the late spring, summer and early fall. And yes, this could help the Athletic Department as some events need both Hilton and Scheman for their events. If they have some exhibition space they might be able to attract more of these events. The Hilton portion of the events would help the AD pay Hilton expenses during the offseason.

EDIT: By the way, Scheman was originally supposed to be built so that there was really nothing on what is the ground floor with just the first and second floors with any significant space due to flooding concerns, but the plan was changed a little here and a little there and they've paid for it every since.
    Wouldn't the Iowa State Center manager be on the hook for those expenses? I think we rent that space when it is used??

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 762
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 46

They must still be planning to build this, as it is taken into account in the plans I've looked at for the Iowa State Center Courtyard improvements project (its not part of the project but it shows the area north of Scheman shaded in and is labeled as future expansion or something like that).

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Wouldn't the Iowa State Center manager be on the hook for those expenses? I think we rent that space when it is used??
    Hilton Coliseum changed to being managed directly by the Athletic Department not long after JP came on board. This is more the model that he came from at Wisky. He really didn't like the idea of the AD paying rent to the Center for use of Hilton. I haven't heard that this arrangement has changed. Any proceeds from an event in Hilton (or the Hilton portion of a larger event) would go to the AD and any expenses (event related would probably be charged back to the client; simple overhead expenses would be AD's problem) would be paid by the AD.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

In terms of direct benefits, more room in scheman might = more days that we can have stage door. Its too bad we don't have it for at least all conference games.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 249

Just from personal experience...I attend at least two conferences/trade shows a year (and have for the last 15+ years). I have to agree with the comment below that article about the lack of lodging close by. The most frequent complaint I hear from attendees (and a complaint of mine as well) is when the food and lodging are not located convenient to the conference center (i.e. reasonable walking distance). Especially now, when many companies are clamping down on travel costs, car rentals are discouraged.

You might get a group in one time, but if food and lodging are inconveniently located relative to the conference location, they probably will look elsewhere before coming back. An efficient shuttle service between the lodging centers and conference centers can mitigate that issue somewhat.

Things like this are where small cities really have to plan carefully.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Just from personal experience...I attend at least two conferences/trade shows a year (and have for the last 15+ years). I have to agree with the comment below that article about the lack of lodging close by. The most frequent complaint I hear from attendees (and a complaint of mine as well) is when the food and lodging are not located convenient to the conference center (i.e. reasonable walking distance). Especially now, when many companies are clamping down on travel costs, car rentals are discouraged.

You might get a group in one time, but if food and lodging are inconveniently located relative to the conference location, they probably will look elsewhere before coming back. An efficient shuttle service between the lodging centers and conference centers can mitigate that issue somewhat.

Yeah, I have heard this for years. There was a quickly aborted plan for an attached hotel (North side of Scheman) in the original plan if I remember correctly.

A hotel, even a 100 room boutique hotel, could charge whatever they wanted on home football weekends, but it seems like they would really struggle the rest of the year. There might be a small demand for some basketball dates but certainly not enough fill it and then there would be the scattered event dates. The numbers tend to scare everyone away whenever it is brought up.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 63

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post

I have to agree with this. While the Iowa State Center is an amazing venue (Hilton, Scheman, C.Y., Jack Trice), you are forced to either have a car or have a shuttle to get there. I'm not sure it can be done, but it would be great if someone could build a hotel adjacent to that area.

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams