Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 119

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Inside the Numbers: The first quarter

Hate to put the pressure on Steele, but if we want to have that speacial season it is on his shoulders. He has got to play well the next 5 weeks. We need to make hay these next 5 games with 3 at home. 2 and 3 would be ok, 3 and 2 would be pretty good, 4 and 1 would be outstanding.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 70

I think we have to accept the fact that Steele will not be perfect. He's going to throw at LEAST one or possibly 2 picks per game. We need our defense to continue to play lights out to make up for that. If Steele can continue his 70% completion rate, I'm fine with that.

The thing that sticks out to me is that our running game has been non existent, for the most part. Is this just an O.C. play calling issue, or an offensive line issue? The most likely scenario (in my mind) is that the 70% comp rate is directly affecting the running calls...because all those passes are for 10 yards or less. The backers and safeties crowd the line, trying to stop the short passes and then the runners can't get moving either with 9 guys at the line or very close to it. Then Steele tries to heave one downfield, and overthrows by 10 yards. No threat by doing that, so the defense doesn't back off. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I REALLY hope that these first 3 games have just been a case of us keeping the playbook small to cut down on tape for opposing teams. Otherwise, I think we may be in for a long season.

Legend
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 939

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the running game was pretty goof against Tulsa.

Against Iowa we had it going early but they schemed to stop it and shut it down in the second half attempting to force us to pass. It worked, but I think Iowa has a pretty good run defense.

Against WIU we had a ton of guys run the ball so I don't think that really showcased what our rushing game will end up being in conference games. If Trelle and White were in there we might have seen a few more YPC.

I think the running game is ok. The OL will continue to gel and get better as the season progresses. If TTU defends the run as well as they did last year (the basically didn't) then we will hopefully see some yards racked up.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 70

I guess I was just expecting us to be a run-first team...since that's what Rhoads always talks about. Don't get me wrong - take the yards where we can get them. But it just doesn't seem as overpowering as everyone was making it out to be pre-season.

Oh wait, I just answered my own question - this is a FANATIC site where we are all superstars ;-)

Legend
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 900

Quote Originally Posted by CYUL8R View Post
    I guess I was just expecting us to be a run-first team...since that's what Rhoads always talks about. Don't get me wrong - take the yards where we can get them. But it just doesn't seem as overpowering as everyone was making it out to be pre-season.

Oh wait, I just answered my own question - this is a FANATIC site where we are all superstars ;-)

I think you answered why we don't seem to be as successful running not here, but in your previous post. If Jantz is able to make them pay over the top even on 40% of those throws they won't be able to make a living out of packing the first 10-15 yards of the field. That is exactly what Iowa did. After the first quarter or so they knew they couldn't win playing it straight head to head to they gambled that Jantz couldn't make them pay over the top and they won the gamble. That gamble almost won them the game.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 26

If it weren't for the BS holding call on the TD return that Horne had, he would probably be close to leading the nation in punt returns.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 256

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    If Trelle and White were in there we might have seen a few more YPC.
    All the RB (except Woody) had a good YPC.

We have had an average-to-good running game every year under CPR. The issue has been we have also had fundamental problems, both in design and execution, in having any type of verticalness to our offense. I would love to see what our running game would be like if the defense was not allowed to play downhill and with-in 10 yards of the LOS.