Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 8,148, Level: 26
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    70
    Points
    8,148
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Thumbs up Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    I'm watching a recording of McCarney's game against KSU yesterday. Am very impressed and cannot help but notice the similarities with ISU. They really play hard and successfully knocked the ball out of a KSU RB's hands when he was approaching the goal line. One guy stands him up and the others swing at the ball. Recognized one of their coaches from his days at ISU but can't think of his name. They have a really good freshman RB named Jimmerson.

    Was shocked to learn that he has gone blind in his right eye and is now sporting a glass eye and must wear sun glasses from some event that occurred at Florida. He still roams the sidelines like he did at ISU. Love the guy, but I can't think of a worse job for a man who is post stroke.

    Will be fun to see how high he can take these guys.

    Good luck Dan.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 244,157, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,110
    Points
    244,157
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 396

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    There are those that will talk the man down for a supposed lack of aggression in his coaching style at ISU, but I've got nothing but respect for the man and what he did for ISU. Sure, he didn't bring us all the way back, but he did lift us out of a huge hole. The man is class, and I've got a healthy dose of disdain for anyone who says otherwise.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 736,779, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,999
    Points
    736,779
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,567
    Given: 751

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    I think almost any Cyclone fan who watched through the 80's and early 90's have a great appreciation for what he accomplished here.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 141,665, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,636
    Points
    141,665
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 511
    Given: 569

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    There are those that will talk the man down for a supposed lack of aggression in his coaching style at ISU, but I've got nothing but respect for the man and what he did for ISU. Sure, he didn't bring us all the way back, but he did lift us out of a huge hole. The man is class, and I've got a healthy dose of disdain for anyone who says otherwise.
    He did a lot for ISU and is a good coach. But I don't think you can say a guy who beat his wife for years, including in front of their kids, has so much as an ounce of "class".



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 401,037, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,397
    Points
    401,037
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 627
    Given: 394

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    I suspect he will get better recruits as time goes on. North Texas can get better.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 8,578, Level: 27
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    526
    Points
    8,578
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I think almost any Cyclone fan who watched through the 80's and early 90's have a great appreciation for what he accomplished here.
    A lot of the folks that wanted him run, still loved the guy. I'm more or less in this boat (though I thought we owed one more year). A great coach Sunday through Friday...I just wish he was a bit different on game day.

    I've been paying attention to North Texas only because of him...very glad he's doing well.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 81,998, Level: 89
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,752
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Winterset Metroplex
    Posts
    2,489
    Points
    81,998
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    He did a lot for ISU and is a good coach. But I don't think you can say a guy who beat his wife for years, including in front of their kids, has so much as an ounce of "class".
    Well, now we know what username Jim Walden comments under.


    "Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 209,408, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,924
    Points
    209,408
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 150

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    Well, now we know what username Jim Walden comments under.
    Well, 7 posts before Jim Walden gets thrown under the bus by the McCarney crowd. It usually happens within the first 5 posts. You guys are slipping up.


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  9. #9
    Recruit
    Points: 1,447, Level: 10
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,447
    Level
    10
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Quote Originally Posted by SpunOut View Post
    I'm watching a recording of McCarney's game against KSU yesterday. Am very impressed and cannot help but notice the similarities with ISU. They really play hard and successfully knocked the ball out of a KSU RB's hands when he was approaching the goal line. One guy stands him up and the others swing at the ball. Recognized one of their coaches from his days at ISU but can't think of his name. They have a really good freshman RB named Jimmerson.

    Was shocked to learn that he has gone blind in his right eye and is now sporting a glass eye and must wear sun glasses from some event that occurred at Florida. He still roams the sidelines like he did at ISU. Love the guy, but I can't think of a worse job for a man who is post stroke.

    Will be fun to see how high he can take these guys.

    Good luck Dan.
    Appears that he also continued the similarity of losing, just like he did when at ISU.



  10. #10
    Recruit
    Points: 1,447, Level: 10
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    106
    Points
    1,447
    Level
    10
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Well, 7 posts before Jim Walden gets thrown under the bus by the McCarney crowd. It usually happens within the first 5 posts. You guys are slipping up.
    Mac's first three years at ISU don't count and as a result his record is way better than Waldens.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 483,307, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,478
    Points
    483,307
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 631

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    Mac's first three years at ISU don't count and as a result his record is way better than Waldens.
    Number of bowls made under McCarney: 5

    Number of bowls made under Walden: 0
    Number of bowls made under Walden (if there were as many bowls then as there are now): 1 - 1989 Walden's team went 6-5.

    Sorry, Walden apologists - Walden may have the better record, but he's nowhere close to being the better coach. Doesn't matter though - Rhoads is heads and shoulders above BOTH of them - and all three of them are/were better than Chizik.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 49,720, Level: 68
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    2,878
    Points
    49,720
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 371

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    There are those that will talk the man down for a supposed lack of aggression in his coaching style at ISU, but I've got nothing but respect for the man and what he did for ISU. Sure, he didn't bring us all the way back, but he did lift us out of a huge hole. The man is class, and I've got a healthy dose of disdain for anyone who says otherwise.
    Bring us back? To what? What heights were we at before Dan to which he needed to "bring us back?"

    1971 8-4
    1976 8-3
    1977 8-4
    1978 8-4

    2000 9-3 and 1st ever bowl victory

    Now, you can definitely argue that he couldn't take the next step. That is fair. Too many missed field goals separating us from conference division titles. ISU football owes a lot to Dan. We were on the brink of football irrelevance.

    And I was one of those supporting the change. I was even excited about the Chizz being hired. So that shows what I know.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 18,289, Level: 41
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Ace000087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    749
    Points
    18,289
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Rhoads is building off what Dan McCarney started. McCarney gave the fan base a solid foundation and his work at Iowa State should never be discounted. That 2005 team was probably one of the best ISU football teams to date. That was McCarney's year to go the distance. I still get agitated when I think about all those plays that could have gone the other way and ISU would have been in the Big12 Title game. Texas probably would have beaten us pretty bad, but it wouldn't have been the 70-3 beating Colorado took.


    1337 Internet. Serious Business.


  14. #14
    Rookie
    Points: 8,578, Level: 27
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    526
    Points
    8,578
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    Bring us back? To what? What heights were we at before Dan to which he needed to "bring us back?"

    1971 8-4
    1976 8-3
    1977 8-4
    1978 8-4

    2000 9-3 and 1st ever bowl victory

    Now, you can definitely argue that he couldn't take the next step. That is fair. Too many missed field goals separating us from conference division titles. ISU football owes a lot to Dan. We were on the brink of football irrelevance.

    And I was one of those supporting the change. I was even excited about the Chizz being hired. So that shows what I know.
    Walden v. Mac...an old fashioned flame war that never gets old. Wait...yes it does.

    I think they were both average to above average coaches that suffered from a lack of institutional support, football tradition, and top notch ADs. Thank God we're in a better place now.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 483,307, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,478
    Points
    483,307
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 631

    Re: Dan McCarney and the Mean Green

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace000087 View Post
    Rhoads is building off what Dan McCarney started. McCarney gave the fan base a solid foundation and his work at Iowa State should never be discounted. That 2005 team was probably one of the best ISU football teams to date. That was McCarney's year to go the distance. I still get agitated when I think about all those plays that could have gone the other way and ISU would have been in the Big12 Title game. Texas probably would have beaten us pretty bad, but it wouldn't have been the 70-3 beating Colorado took.
    2005 was probably a major part of the reason why McCarney was fired. Had ISU taken care of business that season, we would have had a 10-2 team minimum, possibly 11-1. The defense was just outstanding (remember that Iowa game - Iowa never entered the red zone the entire game). The problem was the conservative game plan left the defense hanging out to dry far too often and as a result we lost a lot more games than we should have. Didn't live up to expectations in 2006 either, but 2005 was ISU's one real chance at glory and they quite literally dropped the ball.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM