Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points7 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Hey Cyclone fans, Raider here (sorry for the long post)

Just wanting to have some good conversation, and time killer, for the next two, long, weeks. ISU has had Tech's number the last couple of years, and last season was a real head scratcher for fans of Tech. We go into Norman, and beat then #1 ranked OU (which it turns out, they were over rated), and then, promptly come home, and get blown out by ISU, and every other team we played after that

As it turned out, that we later found out about, there was MUCH more going on behind the scenes after that OU win. A certain unnamed DC really said some things to the guys in the locker room, and that was the beginning of the end for that clown. The guys didn't respond to anything he said, or the way they were being coached, so unfortunately, it's like they just gave up in the middle of the season.

Fast forward to end of season, and this not-be-to-named DC was eventually fired, along with the DL coach, and OL coach. Tuberville went out, and hired some GREAT coaches in the off season. Fred Tate was brought in to coach the DL, John Lovett was brought in to coach secondary, Art Kaufman, was brought in to be the DC, and Chris thomsen was brought in to coach the OL.

So far this season, Tech has dominated everybody they have played, and really could've put up more ugly numbers against these teams. Has Tech played good teams? NO! Do we really know how Tech will do against Big12 caliber teams? NO! The only thing I know, at this point, is we have done what we were suppose to do, and that's to dominate teams. Not even in our BEST years did we dominate against all of the teams we were suppose to, and not even the best teams have dominated teams like they should this season. I think that's why Tech fans are a little more optimistic after such a disastrous season last year. New coaches, new attitude, new scheme, and a new outlook on things.

The defense is faster this season, and is having an easier time with a much more simplistic scheme. We went from a 4-2-5 base, to a 4-3 base, and it's something Tuberville has always worked with, along with the other defensive coaches. Tech now has 3 coaches on the defensive side of the ball who have been DC's in the past (obviously Tuberville, Kaufman, and John Lovett), and they all have a hand in designing the defensive gameplan. Plus, Chris Thomsen, the OL coach, was also former HC/OC at Abilene Christian, where he compiled a 53-18 record before moving on to Tech. He's a great offensive mind, so I wouldn't be surprised if he might somehow have a little input on some of the offense, or some of the new wrinkles that we are seeing this season.

Against UNM, our defense allowed less yardage (127 yards) than Texas allowed just the week before. So, we are hopeful that it isn't just because we have played bad teams, but that maybe it could be the result of new schemes, and attitude.

I think our only fear right now, defensively, is we still don't have a great secondary, and we haven't played a passing team, yet, so we don't know how they will respond when we do face teams who can throw the ball a little.

Hopefully, ISU will give us that experience. Not because that's your offense, but, because you will HAVE to throw against us.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 789
    Given: 688

Re: Hey Cyclone fans, Raider here (sorry for the long post)

Why wouldn't you help us out and name the DC? He got fired so what's the diff?

As for our game, I'm very concerned about our offense against a defense with a pulse. What i saw last night didn't make me feel any better.

Specifically, I'm not sure that I have faith in our QB and/or our OC. I'm not throwing them under the bus, I just haven't seen anything to make me feel warm & fuzzy.

Last edited by Cydkar; 09-16-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 36

Should be a competitive game. That first conference game is always exciting. Glad we are at home.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 789
    Given: 519

Nice to hear from you. I think our defense is 25% better especially in the secondary and our offense is 15% better than last year with a stable of running backs. Our special teams appear to be 25% better with Aaron Horne and Kirby Big Boom VMan. We have much more depth and now more rabid fans since OSU game. Both teams should be much improved.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Does tech have a bye week too?

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 721
    Given: 540

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go State View Post

Yes. :(

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,685
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

You have to admit, that freakin' game 2 years ago was the equivalent of a big summer blockbuster movie filled with explosions & catchphrases. Both teams had their offenses turned up to 11, but scoring on an onside kick? That's just CRAZY.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 122

I'm trying to figure out why we will HAVE to throw against Tech. I mean, we WILL throw some against them, but last year we racked up 368 yards on the ground. Granted, a lot of that was due to the fact that we didn't have to do anything but run the ball in the second half, but still. I find it hard to believe that Tech's rushing defense will be so vastly improved that we won't be able to get at least 200 yards.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 299

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go State View Post
    Yes.

Legend
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,288
    Given: 563

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    You serious Clark? Only one DC, not hard to figure out.

In a completely unrelated note:

Texas Tech confirms defensive coordinator leaving staff | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post

As for our game, I'm very concerned about our offense against a defense with a pulse. What i saw last night didn't make me feel any better.

Specifically, I'm not sure that I have faith in our QB and/or our OC. I'm not throwing them under the bus, I just haven't seen anything to make me feel warm & fuzzy.

His name was Chad Glasgow. Before he came to Tech, he was the safeties coach at TCU, and had been there for about 10 years. He basically sabotaged a JUCO CB recruit that eventually signed with OU. It was a very, very bad situation when he was let go, and had to basically sign his life away to not "bad-mouth"Tech to recruits we were in on...like he had done before.

Gary Patterson welcomed him back with open arms, so he's now back as the safeties coach at TCU, which should just add more to that game...especially after we torch his secondary. And, I wouldn't expect Tuberville to let up much.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 957
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 40

Tech didn't play anyone with a pulse in the nonconference (they seem to always have a ridiculously easy nonconference schedule), so I think its hard to say whether or not they are much improved yet. Also not sure why you would think we won't be able to run the ball against you guys, I hope your not drawing that conclusion from how Tech has played against the cupcakes they've faced so far.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why we will HAVE to throw against Tech. I mean, we WILL throw some against them, but last year we racked up 368 yards on the ground. Granted, a lot of that was due to the fact that we didn't have to do anything but run the ball in the second half, but still. I find it hard to believe that Tech's rushing defense will be so vastly improved that we won't be able to get at least 200 yards.

Actually, I did say HOPEFULLY...and not that you WILL HAVE. It should be interesting, but hopefully our run defense IS that much improved. I know our DL is playing with much better technique, and so far they have been much improved.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone87 View Post
    Tech didn't play anyone with a pulse in the nonconference (they seem to always have a ridiculously easy nonconference schedule), so I think its hard to say whether or not they are much improved yet. Also not sure why you would think we won't be able to run the ball against you guys, I hope your not drawing that conclusion from how Tech has played against the cupcakes they've faced so far.

Again, I did say HOPEFULLY!

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Sent you a pm