Tell me about Cedar Rapids
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 84
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 415, Level: 4
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    68
    Points
    415
    Level
    4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    I posted this on your scout board, but one of my Techsan buds said this is the ISU forum to post on.

    Anyway, I'm getting out of the military soon and have a pretty good shot at a really good job in the Cedar Rapids area, and I'm looking for info on the area. I've never lived in Iowa and I was wondering what sort of a town is Cedar Rapids, good areas to live and what the schools are like.

    I know it's closer to Iowa City than Ames, but I trust my Big XII brethren much more. Thanks for the help guys!



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 21,077, Level: 44
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,296
    Points
    21,077
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 13

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider42 View Post
    I posted this on your scout board, but one of my Techsan buds said this is the ISU forum to post on.

    Anyway, I'm getting out of the military soon and have a pretty good shot at a really good job in the Cedar Rapids area, and I'm looking for info on the area. I've never lived in Iowa and I was wondering what sort of a town is Cedar Rapids, good areas to live and what the schools are like.

    I know it's closer to Iowa City than Ames, but I trust my Big XII brethren much more. Thanks for the help guys!
    Thanks for serving this great country of ours! I wish I had some insight on Cedar Rapids, but I don't. I just wanted to thank you and all of those serving in the armed forces, including your families, thank you!



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 29,773, Level: 53
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Triggermv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    1,958
    Points
    29,773
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 196

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    I live in Cedar Rapids (Marion specifically) and I like to describe the area as a mostly blue collar town with a ton of engineers (mostly from Rockwell and a few other) and a few financial professionals (mostly from TransAmerica). I wouldn't necessarily call it a super industrial town (I've seen way worse), but it is pretty strong industrial town with big plants from Quaker Oats, General Mills, Penford (ethanol plant), International Paper (recycling plant) and ADM (currently world's biggest ethanol plant). The nickname for Cedar Rapids is the City of 5 Seasons and those 5 plants have given it the backroom nickname of the City of 5 Smells.

    As for Demographic, the town is mostly made up of middle class married families. If you are looking for a great town for young singles, it has a few of them, but probably isn't the greatest place on the earth. I had a couple single buddies who moved from Cedar Rapids due to the lack of options for singles. Cities like Kansas City, Des Moines, Omaha, and even Iowa City are much better for young singles.

    As for good restaurants, the town is mostly loaded with a little behind the curve chain restaurants, but does have a few hidden gems. In particular, I think the town has some great Mexican restaurants and a couple of the best pizza joints I've ever been to (and I've been around the world to try a lot). Those two pizza restaurants are Tomassos (best) and Zoeys.

    Entertainment wise, I'd say the town is somewhat lacking, but is comparable to most fairly blue collar towns its size. It has some decent movie theaters, has a nice Theater for performances downtown, and has a few good bars downtown, including a fun piano bar. The downtown got completely flooded out a few years ago, but I'd actually say it is finally coming out better than ever. They are finally doing some good development down there which should look nice. Lastly, the city has some great bike trails if that is what you are in to.

    As for the schools, I don't have kids so I'm not positive. The metro area has pretty much 5 big public schools (Jefferson, Washington, Prairie, Linn Mar, and Kennedy), with one big private Catholic School (Xavier), and one smaller public school in Marion (Marion Public School). That's all I've really got for you on that.

    Last but not least, the town is loaded with annoying Sqawk fans, but still has more Cyclone fans than people lead you to believe. The Hawk fans are the worst of the worst there too as they are mostly blue collar band wagon (tavern hawks) ones who never even went to school there. They are also the first to dog there teams and dog them bad. The decent Cyclone contingent mostly is fed by all the Engineers in town and are usually a great group people. They are all mostly all really level headed fans and are usually graduates of ISU.


    Last edited by Triggermv; 09-13-2012 at 09:25 AM.

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 151,237, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,901
    Points
    151,237
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 43

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    From my perspective Cedar Rapids is more of a family town. It seems that a lot of events in the community are more geared toward families than single people. So if you are raising a family that is great but if you want to do more adult things you might end up going to that other town which really isn't too far away either.

    I would stay away from downtown because since the flooding there hasn't been as many businesses come back as before. Although there are nice places to live and good schools all over the city. Being in Iowa most of the schools are pretty good. I am more familiar with the NE side or Marion area and if I lived in the area I would probably live there. Linn-Mar which is a large school in the area has classes with 300+ and Marion which is smaller has classes around 120 to 160.



  5. #5
    Prospect
    Points: 3,267, Level: 16
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    24
    Points
    3,267
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    Trigger is pretty much right on (except that the flood was in 2008, but things are indeed recovering pretty well).

    Schools here are all pretty good, with Linn-Mar and Prairie (College Community) growing the fastest. If you've got a family, this is a great place to be. Good schools enough stuff to do, lots of housing options and a reasonable drive to places with "real" shopping and entertainment (~4.5 hours to Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee).

    If you're young and single, it is just ok but the good news is that Iowa City is only half an hour away for that kind of fun.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 649,794, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    25,010
    Points
    649,794
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,560
    Given: 279

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    It smells funny.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 312,193, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    10,782
    Points
    312,193
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,629
    Given: 619

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    Good areas to live: There aren't too many 'bad' places to live, other than just southeast of downtown. Other than that, it kind of depends on what you're looking for/where you're working.

    Schools, none of them are bad, that I know of, Washington/Jefferson/Kennedy are the Cedar Rapids "in town" schools, Marion has it's own, Linn-Mar and Prairie are part in town, part surrounding rural areas.

    There's plenty of CR folks on here, any more specific questions? You mentioned "Cedar Rapids area", if you're south of Cedar Rapids, or even on the south side, the 'corridor' towns (Swisher, Shueyville, North Liberty) are all growing pretty quickly due to the ability to get to CR or Iowa City quickly. Heck, even to drive from Iowa City to Cedar Rapids for work isn't out of the realm of possibility compare to what a lot of people do. About a half hour drive by interstate. If you're young (20's) and single, Iowa City's going to have a better night life, I'd say Cedar Rapids is more traditional family friendly. Nothing wrong with Iowa City there, it's just that the university dominates the town. Kind of a mix of students, professors/doctors, 60's hippies that never left.




    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 151,237, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,901
    Points
    151,237
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 43

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    It smells funny.
    Those are to deter people from leaving. It is the city of five smells...I mean seasons, seasons!



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 29,773, Level: 53
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Triggermv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    1,958
    Points
    29,773
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 196

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonepackof1 View Post
    Trigger is pretty much right on (except that the flood was in 2008, but things are indeed recovering pretty well).

    Schools here are all pretty good, with Linn-Mar and Prairie (College Community) growing the fastest. If you've got a family, this is a great place to be. Good schools enough stuff to do, lots of housing options and a reasonable drive to places with "real" shopping and entertainment (~4.5 hours to Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee).

    If you're young and single, it is just ok but the good news is that Iowa City is only half an hour away for that kind of fun.
    Not sure why I typed last year on the flood vs a few years ago (what I was thinking). Good catch and I've changed it.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 312,193, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    10,782
    Points
    312,193
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,629
    Given: 619

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    It smells funny.
    Hey, crunch berry day ain't too bad!




    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 29,773, Level: 53
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Triggermv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    1,958
    Points
    29,773
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 196

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Good areas to live: There aren't too many 'bad' places to live, other than just southeast of downtown. Other than that, it kind of depends on what you're looking for/where you're working.

    Schools, none of them are bad, that I know of, Washington/Jefferson/Kennedy are the Cedar Rapids "in town" schools, Marion has it's own, Linn-Mar and Prairie are part in town, part surrounding rural areas.

    There's plenty of CR folks on here, any more specific questions? You mentioned "Cedar Rapids area", if you're south of Cedar Rapids, or even on the south side, the 'corridor' towns (Swisher, Shueyville, North Liberty) are all growing pretty quickly due to the ability to get to CR or Iowa City quickly. Heck, even to drive from Iowa City to Cedar Rapids for work isn't out of the realm of possibility compare to what a lot of people do. About a half hour drive by interstate. If you're young (20's) and single, Iowa City's going to have a better night life, I'd say Cedar Rapids is more traditional family friendly. Nothing wrong with Iowa City there, it's just that the university dominates the town. Kind of a mix of students, professors/doctors, 60's hippies that never left.

    Lots of hippies for sure in Iowa City, but yeah, still has some fun stuff to do and good nightlife.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 29,462, Level: 52
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ISpyCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    2,358
    Points
    29,462
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 39

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    I lived there for a year, attending Kirkwood Comm. College and enjoyed my time there. It's a nice City that occazionally smells like oatmeal, pancakes, puke, popcorn, cap'n crunch and paper (sometimes all rolled into one). Anywhere on the Southern or Western areas of the City are nice places to live (so are Marion and Hiawatha). Some things to experience while in CR:

    1. The Five-Seasons Tree (which has been described as a giant steel toilet brush).
    2. Westdale Mall (if you ever want to see what a dying mall looks like).
    3. The Vault (one of the best piano bars i've ever been to).
    4. Palisades-Kepler State Park (nice area).




    Cyclones | Vikings | Royals | Red Wings

  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 52,322, Level: 70
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYCLNST8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,769
    Points
    52,322
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 584
    Given: 800

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    My fiance's family if from Cedar Rapids. Other than all the tavern hawks, I love the town. I particularly love the smell from Quaker Oats when they're making crunch berries. Her father has a boat dock at the Cedar River harbor, so we spend a lot of weekends in the summer cruising up river to sandbar parties. There's a good biking trail along the river if you're into that kinda thing. The biking culture differs from Des Moines in that it's more party-oriented. A lot of Des Moines bikers are more serious about it as a sport or commute to work daily. I think the downtown scene is terrific; probably because I grew up white trash tho, so I fit in pretty well with a blue collar community. There's a new bohemia district growing up around Chrome Horse, Parlor City, & Capones on 3rd Street downtown. They usually have decent cover bands every weekend. I'd also recommend Cedar River Landing and Leonardo's. Uptown Friday nights usually has a great turnout and the farmer's market is one of the biggest around.




  14. #14
    Prospect
    Points: 415, Level: 4
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    68
    Points
    415
    Level
    4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    I like the sound of a family town. I'm 30 with a wife and a 4 1/2 month old girl, which is why I'm getting out of the military. I'm hoping to work at the Duane Arnold Energy Center, which I believe is to the NW of CR. I also think it's not too far from CR, so distance won't be a problem.

    Anyway, I am hoping to be able to see some Tech -ISU games up there in Ames in the near future.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 29,773, Level: 53
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Triggermv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    1,958
    Points
    29,773
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 196

    Re: Tell me about Cedar Rapids

    Quote Originally Posted by ISpyCy View Post
    I lived there for a year, attending Kirkwood Comm. College and enjoyed my time there. It's a nice City that occazionally smells like oatmeal, pancakes, puke, popcorn, cap'n crunch and paper (sometimes all rolled into one). Anywhere on the Southern or Western areas of the City are nice places to live (so are Marion and Hiawatha). Some things to experience while in CR:

    1. The Five-Seasons Tree (which has been described as a giant steel toilet brush).
    2. Westdale Mall (if you ever want to see what a dying mall looks like).
    3. The Vault (one of the best piano bars i've ever been to).
    4. Palisades-Kepler State Park (nice area).
    ISpyCy has touched on something else that is good and hasn't bene talked about. From an outdoorsman perspective, Cedar Rapids is surprisingly really pretty solid. Like I said above, there is some great paved/not paved bike trails through the city and in the surrounding area. There is quite a few super close great state parks including 2 decent sized lakes very close by. Lake McBride is more the low-key no-wake peaceful lake to swim, canoe and fish, while Corallville is the big Reservoir with big boats, skiing, wakeboarding and beaches. If you are in to dirt biking/ four-wheeling, there is a great play area for those called 1,000 acres (I believe that is what it is called) near Lake McBride.

    While most of Iowa is fairly flat and agricultural with very few trees, the area between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids is quite the opposite. It has lots of trees, lakes, rolling hills, and great scenery. Arguably, Cedar Rapids is the best or one of the best cities in the state for people who like the outdoors.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM