Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 29

Cyclones.tv on your tv?

I was going to post this as a question, but decided to be a grown up and google it first. Lo and behold, cyclones.tv addresses this specifically:

"iPad viewing: Fans with iPads can purchase the official Iowa State Athletics iPad app and stream live Cyclones.tv content to the iPad. Most on-demand content that appears in the Cyclones.tv web portal will also be transcoded for viewing on the iPad. Those of you that have AppleTV can use the "air play" function to play both live and on-demand content to your TV.
    Mobile phone viewing: At the time of initial launch, streaming video will not be made available for iOS and Android devices. Fans who purchase the PREMIUM Iowa State Athletics mobile app foriOS and Android will have access to all archive/on-demand video content (interviews, features, coaches shows, highlights, etc,) as well as live streaming audio of Cyclones.tv audio events (call-in shows, game broadcasts, etc.)
    - Smart TV app or internet set-top box (like Roku): Currently not supported. The only way to play Cyclones.tv content on your television is to incorporate the above setup through the iPad app and AppleTV or connect your computer to your TV via HDMI or other methods."

Question is, how well does the ipad app and airplay work. I have a first gen ipad and an apple tv. I'm hoping that this will work well and plan on testing it out later today.

For those of us that cannot attend this weekend, what is everyone else's setup to put this on the big screen this weekend? The ipad app is promising...

"If baseball players speaking in front of Congress can be put on trial for perjury, then why shouldn't the politicians we vote for be held accountable to the same standard during their campaigns?" -Paraphrased from The Newsroom

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 336
    Given: 210

Re: Cyclones.tv on your tv?

I guess you could try the iPad thing, but with ESPN3/CloneZone in the past I've had good luck just running an HDMI cord from my desktop to my TV. It's not expensive at all to set that up.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Yeah, that's my plan. Take your laptop and set it near your TV (plugged in to power outlet), pull the HDMI cord from your cable box and plug it into your laptop. For the best experience, get a wireless mouse so you can still operate the mouse from your couch if needed. It's worked well during basketball season with all the games on ESPN3.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 92

I don't have any Apple products but I've heard the AirPlay thing works very well. As MnCyGuy, running an HDMI chord from your computer to TV is the easiest option and probably have the best picture. If you don't have HDMI port on your computer there are adapters you can get (there's another thread about that).

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 211

I'm not sure where I read it, so I can't vet the sources, but I heard a laptop and an HDMI cable are the answers you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walton
    Think Oscar Wilde when he said, "every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." But also think Neil Young: the fork in the road, light a candle. Instead of cursing the darkness, let's light a candle for where we're going. This was fantastic for the world. We are better people for having been here. It was absolutely incredible. I'm inspired. I don't know when I'll ever sleep again.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,030
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 11

AirPlay to Apple TV + iPad works really well. I've watched the game replays and they look great and do not skip

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have a 7 year old Macbook pro that is on its last legs and has a tendency to overheat and shut down when playing video... My other laptop option is a 9 year old dell inspiron.

I have an imac, and I have a very high end custom built machine I use for work (and browsing CF), but it couldn't be further away from my tv.

Is there anyway to stream to an apple tv via a network? Also, I'll check, but I'm assuming my Viera web browser on my Panasonic tv cannot handle cyclones.tv (the whole smart tv thing seems to be entirely worthless).

Edit: Just found this... Probably will use the imac. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...your-apple-tv/

Last edited by BKLYNCyclone; 09-12-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    "If baseball players speaking in front of Congress can be put on trial for perjury, then why shouldn't the politicians we vote for be held accountable to the same standard during their campaigns?" -Paraphrased from The Newsroom

Recruit
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

If your lap top does not have an HDMI port you can also use the RGV port and RGV cable and connect from laptop to your TV this way. I have Sony Google TV so I have internet directly to the TV. I then convert the signal to full 1080i via my receiver as the feed quality can be a little suspect.

All-Star
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 87

I'm part of the group that just runs and HDMI cord from my laptop to my computer, which essentially just turns your TV into a computer monitor with sound essentially. I'm such an avid user of the HDMI to TV (mostly because of ESPN3) that I even have a solely devoted long HDMI cord that is always connected to my TV. When I'm not using it, I just coil it up and have a hook on the back of my TV where it is out of sight. It really is pretty easy and works pretty slick. It avoids the annoyance of always having to reach behind my TV to find the plugin, or to mess with unplugging something else that is permanently plugged in to switch over to my computer. Shoot, with how cheap HDMI cords are now, it is well worth it for me to just devote one to it.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've been using my xbox for my espn 3 needs. Works well and is kind of fun to go all minority report on it with the kinect. Too bad my xbox finally rrod post warranty period and is waiting for me to repair it. (ifixit)

Essentially I have everything but a computer hooked up to receiver/tv. My hope is that the xbox and apple tv take care of most of it, but the live streaming thing is an issue. (though airplay looks like the solution).

Now I need to see if I can make the remote app work (wireless network based remote) on my imac upstairs from my basement.

Last edited by BKLYNCyclone; 09-12-2012 at 10:52 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

its going to be interesting to see how this all works out over the next few years. more and more sports content (like cyclones.tv) is going to be internet driven and school/team specific. yet consumers will want to find a simple way to get that on the tv, since that's still the best way to watch sports (rather than ipad, laptop, desktop, smartphone etc.).

i gotta believe an app of some sort is in the works - i'd bet in the future we'll just pull in cyclones.tv from roku, bluray, internet tv, apple tv etc. at least i hope.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

apps on the apple tv will solve all of this I would think. Coming soon to a press conference in CA hopefully.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 670
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 105

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    I've been using my xbox for my espn 3 needs. Works well and is kind of fun to go all minority report on it with the kinect. Too bad my xbox finally rrod post warranty period and is waiting for me to repair it. (ifixit)

Essentially I have everything but a computer hooked up to receiver/tv. My hope is that the xbox and apple tv take care of most of it, but the live streaming thing is an issue. (though airplay looks like the solution).

Now I need to see if I can make the remote app work (wireless network based remote) on my imac upstairs from my basement.
    So in theory can this be done using a PS3 or an internet enable Blu Ray player to view cyclones.tv?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 117

I hook my laptop up via HDMI and it works great. I plan to be there this Saturday night, however.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 28

If you have an iPad and an apple TV already, this is your best option. Now that said if you don't already have an Apple TV ($100) and your lap top allows you to connect to your TV that would work as well.

I use the Ipad/apple TV route and it works great for me. In the past I have had less lag doing this than I have using my iMac, which could be due to proximity to the wireless router.

Also if you are thinking of purchasing Apple TV, I recommend it. Love it and use it all the time, whether it is for Airplay from the iMac or iPad, or for renting movies, watching netflix, it really works great.

Best part might be the wife can use it easily and doesn't get frustrated like she used to with the xbox.

A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.